Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milking the Cow
 Login/Join

posted
I am currently working loads up for a M700 Mil Spec. w/5R .300 Win Mag. I want to “milk this cow” for every bit of accuracy I can using only the components & equipment I have on hand. I just want to know about free-bore because I know case prep for accuracy. So let’s keep my question focused on free-bore. This is also confined to target shooting loading one round at a time. I know hunting rounds need to be seated a little shorter for smooth chambering.
Generally speaking, just how far off the rifle lands have you found to be the “sweet spot” for accuracy. And in another question how far off the lands was the bullet when you noticed accuracy begin to deteriorate? I know every rifle is different but surely there must be some parameter bracket in which best accuracy is achieved in the majority of rifles.

Happy Shooting
sonnyboy

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Generally speaking, just how far off the rifle lands have you found to be the “sweet spot” for accuracy. And in another question how far off the lands was the bullet when you noticed accuracy begin to deteriorate? I know every rifle is different but surely there must be some parameter bracket in which best accuracy is achieved in the majority of rifles.

I've found no set rule. Every rifle is different.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
There are two categories of bullets that have different answers to this question, solid monolithic bullets like Barnes, E-tips and GMX and standard "cup and core" bullets.

In the solid bullets I have always been able to find a suitable seating depth between .030" to .050". I have read posts where the seating depth was slightly more than .050" like up to .070" or so. And then I have reloaded for a Weatherby and used a TTSX that had to be seated .275" off the lands and it shot just fine.

With the standard type of cup and core bullets I have always been able to find a suitable load when seating .020" to .030" off. And then I have reloaded for a RUM that had to be seated .160" off the lands to fit the magazine and it shot a 1/2" group at 200 yds with an Accubond.

There have been several discussions on this around here about the relative importance of powder charge compared to seating depth. For me I work with different powder charges until I find the best group with a standard seating depth (example .050" for Barnes and .025" for Accubonds). An analogy would be a spotting scope with 2 adjustments, a macro for gross adjustment and a micro for fine adjustment. You would not use the fine adjustment knob to do the initial adjustment. Analogously you use the powder charge to get close and then use the seating depth (if needed and often it is not) for fine adjustment. IOW if you had done a good enough job with powder selection and charge weight testing then should not have to move seating depth far (if at all) to time your barrel out.

As far as deterioration of groups due to seating depth, I have noticed problems with velocity variations and thus flyers if I try to seat close to but not into the lands, i.e. less than .020". Any slight variation in seating depth seems to have more impact within that range especially very close like at .005" or so. Over .020" to as deep as you want to seat them, the accuracy seems to go up and down like a sine wave, probably due to minute barrel timing issues. The velocity drops with increased seating depths so essentially you are macro tuning your velocity with the micro tuning function of seating depth rather than using the powder charge variations.

YMMV (especially with rc and HC Big Grin)

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree. In my experience I have found a change in seating depth MAY fine tune a load but it isn't gonna turn a dog into a one holer.

But then, I start my reloading with a powder choice(s) and a bullet choice(s).

This loading into the lands is a Bench Rest facet that some have tried to make into a doxology but it is something to do only after you are firmly based in reloading with a good understanding of where you're going.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
There are two categories of bullets that have different answers to this question, solid monolithic bullets like Barnes, E-tips and GMX and standard "cup and core" bullets.

In the solid bullets I have always been able to find a suitable seating depth between .030" to .050". I have read posts where the seating depth was slightly more than .050" like up to .070" or so. And then I have reloaded for a Weatherby and used a TTSX that had to be seated .275" off the lands and it shot just fine.

With the standard type of cup and core bullets I have always been able to find a suitable load when seating .020" to .030" off. And then I have reloaded for a RUM that had to be seated .160" off the lands to fit the magazine and it shot a 1/2" group at 200 yds with an Accubond.

There have been several discussions on this around here about the relative importance of powder charge compared to seating depth. For me I work with different powder charges until I find the best group with a standard seating depth (example .050" for Barnes and .025" for Accubonds). An analogy would be a spotting scope with 2 adjustments, a macro for gross adjustment and a micro for fine adjustment. You would not use the fine adjustment knob to do the initial adjustment. Analogously you use the powder charge to get close and then use the seating depth (if needed and often it is not) for fine adjustment. IOW if you had done a good enough job with powder selection and charge weight testing then should not have to move seating depth far (if at all) to time your barrel out.

As far as deterioration of groups due to seating depth, I have noticed problems with velocity variations and thus flyers if I try to seat close to but not into the lands, i.e. less than .020". Any slight variation in seating depth seems to have more impact within that range especially very close like at .005" or so. Over .020" to as deep as you want to seat them, the accuracy seems to go up and down like a sine wave, probably due to minute barrel timing issues. The velocity drops with increased seating depths so essentially you are macro tuning your velocity with the micro tuning function of seating depth rather than using the powder charge variations.

YMMV (especially with rc and HC Big Grin)

Good advice!

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
woods, I agree totally. Thank you for sharing what you know; it has helped my hand loading. We've just got to get you married to Audette's daughter now!

wasbeeman,
The instance that created the issue over seating depth/charge weight for me was one particular rifle, a .243 wssm. I had a good load that shot 1/2 MOA. I loaded some without too much regard for OAL and the thing shot terribly.

The wrong OAL turned a great load into a dog.

Here's what it does consistently at the proper depth:

Here's what it did at the wrong depth:

Every rifle is different and I guess this one is much more sensitive to OAL than most.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey rc, your load at 2.30" would be a little skeery for me if just .010" separates it from a bad group. Shooting will lengthen your throat and change the distance to the lands and bullet bearing surfaces can vary substantially even within the same box and definitely from box to box. I record my DTL (Distance To Lands) every so often and those measurements change progressively and sometimes all of a sudden.

I'm not saying that you are going to lose .010" of throat instantly but it is not uncommon for me to record an increase in DTL of .005" from one measurement to the other in as little as 40 or 50 shots. It is quite possible (especially in a 243 WSSM which is known as a barrel burner) that your DTL could change .010" in one box of 50 loads. If they were loaded at the same time and at the same seating depth then you could have accuracy issues. Not saying it's gonna happen just theorizing here.

Do you load small groups at a time like 20 loads or so and then remeasure DTL?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I really appreciate your input. I was particularly concerned about throat erosion. The reason being is that I loaded up some rounds for the R5 .300 Win Mag using 71.0grs of RL-19 behind a 168gr Nosler BT sitting .005” off the lands. I squeezed off 5 shots just to let the barrel settle in from a cold clean gun. The next group I shot with the same load turned out to be my personal best of all time. The 3 shot group with 2min cooling off between shots came out to be .163”. The second group after a 10min cooling off came out to be .197”. I like to get to the range early in the morning (7AM) because it is hot here in Alabama with high humidity plus I usually have the range to myself. Only God in Heaven is witness to me shooting these two groups for there was no one else there, so you can call me a liar if you want. The rest of my 3 shot groups were around ½”.
And I was just wondering if it would be of any use to seat farther from the lands?

Happy Shooting
sonnyboy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RC, where are your other two shots on each of the targets? Confused

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SB, If you're shooting groups in the .1s, even 3 shot groups, I doubt that you're gonna improve. And your bench technique must be damn fine.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only by shooting can you tell. Load up three at the length you are using now and put 'em in a sandwich baggie and then 3 more a little further out, etc, etc. and then shoot 'em. If your rifle is shooting that tight, you may want to shoot at 200 or 300 yards to really check dispersal.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Hey rc, your load at 2.30" would be a little skeery for me if just .010" separates it from a bad group. Shooting will lengthen your throat and change the distance to the lands and bullet bearing surfaces can vary substantially even within the same box and definitely from box to box. I record my DTL (Distance To Lands) every so often and those measurements change progressively and sometimes all of a sudden.

I'm not saying that you are going to lose .010" of throat instantly but it is not uncommon for me to record an increase in DTL of .005" from one measurement to the other in as little as 40 or 50 shots. It is quite possible (especially in a 243 WSSM which is known as a barrel burner) that your DTL could change .010" in one box of 50 loads. If they were loaded at the same time and at the same seating depth then you could have accuracy issues. Not saying it's gonna happen just theorizing here.

Do you load small groups at a time like 20 loads or so and then remeasure DTL?

It is interesting that the .010" makes so much difference. I haven't done any throat erosion measurements at all. It just seems to shoot at that OAL for that bullet as well as the 90 and 95 grain BT's. It doesn't seem to change at all no matter how many rounds go down the bore. I usually load 100 at a time.

What is amazing is that it groups just like you see there, with horizontal stringing. Could be me and my wiggly Stoney Point Rapid Pivot bench model bipod but it shoots 1/2" at 100 with all the shots side by side. The same at 200 and as you see there at 300.

I'm just gonna go with it and be happy!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
RC, where are your other two shots on each of the targets? Confused

Ha! Don't you know you're supposed to stop when you have a good group going! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
.. Don't you know you're supposed to stop when you have a good group going! Big Grin
Hey R, Did you learn that from Mr. Woods??? Big Grin BOOM

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You've seen some of his targets with less than 5 eh?!!

dancing jumping

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Jealousy, it's a pitiful thing! Roll Eyes