New
Find
Notify
Tools

Die set-up
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been setting my full length sizer die up to neck size only.On a couple of occasions,I have had a round or two that would not chamber.These cases were fired in the same gun and the die has not been changed.Is the expander ball chattering a little as it is exiting the case neck causing it to pull the shoulder out ever so slightly?Like I said,only a few cases have done this while the other cases chambered fine.And all cases were trimmed to the same length.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sll:
I have been setting my full length sizer die up to neck size only.On a couple of occasions,I have had a round or two that would not chamber.These cases were fired in the same gun and the die has not been changed.Is the expander ball chattering a little as it is exiting the case neck causing it to pull the shoulder out ever so slightly?Like I said,only a few cases have done this while the other cases chambered fine.And all cases were trimmed to the same length.

sll/ Have you kept the cases seperated by the number of times that they have been loaded? and is it a belted mag case.....try lube on the inside of the case....apply with Q tip or brush....use a kit with mica or one with molly powder to lube inside of neck....if you have loaded them several times then the necks may have work hardened and this will cause them to react to the sizing die differently....you having any split necks? the cases may need annealing? check inside the case at the head web area with a sharpened bent safety pin/paper clip for a ring caused by a streched case..some will show a bright ring on the outside above the case web area...these are the main things that I have seen or read that will cause this problem...if none of these....polish expander ball or get aftermarket carbide expander ball.....work hardened brass seems likely if you use lube in the neck and it still "chatters" on the expander....good luck and good shooting!!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamhound>
posted
If you don't want to do a lot in the way of segregating your brass for number of times fired and 'odd balls' to avoid nonchambering ammo, an alternative is to partial resize the brass- size more than neck sizing but less than full-length resizing. This will usually size the case enough to eliminate chambering problems [at least in the rifles i use- and that includes single-shot and lever-action that don't have strong chambering/extracting mechanisms] without setting the shoulder back. In my experience, in most circumstances the difference in group size between necksized and partially sized brass will be pretty hard to tell. Unless you are going to the extremes of 'registering' cases individually for orientation in the chamber, etc., partially sizing but not setting the shoulder back usually gives the bulk of accuracy improvement for minimal extra trouble.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not an unusual situation when necksizing only......

blacken your case neck with a candle or match and run it up in the die and see where it stops on the neck....you want it to almost to the shoulder neck junction, then try it in the rifle until it goes in just snug, some say and thats OK for target and OK if you run all of them through the rifle before your hunt as you just found out... I like mine near full lenth where the go into the chamber a mite easier, but I use all my guns for hunting and functions is my first priority....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rather than mess around with soot or some other arcane material to mark the neck try a red magic marker..it will show how far the die has worked the neck and it wipes off easily and you keep flame away from your loading area.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote