Find
Notify
Tools

there are no primers for sale!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of emron
posted
none at midway, grafs, gander mtn, sportsmans warehouse, or any other source i can think of.
rumor has it thers some new regs coming. anyone else with info?

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dmiller
posted Hide Post
I found a small gun shop owner who is somehow still getting about 5,000 of each size weekly. They vary manufactors, most of them are MagTech however I got a box of Federal last week. Haven't seen any CCI's in a long, long time. I have heard its the Blair Holt taxing ammo thing......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Each person is born to one possession which outvalues all his others- his last breath.~~Mark Twain

Posts: 32 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just checked Powder Valley, Midsouth Shooters Supply, and Natchez. There seem to be a few large Mag Pistol and a few small pistol primers as well as 209 shotgun primers available ... but that's all.

I've never seen such poor supply. Folks must have been stocking up!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:

Folks must have been stocking up!

Mwuahahahaha!

Actually, I bought exactly 1000 Large rifle primers in .'08. I'm still working off 2006's supply. Every time I ordered from PowderValley I dropped 5k of primers into the bin to keep my HazMat costs efficient.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you wanna buy large quantities of #35 or #209's there's good supply - everything else is history...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got about 2000 of cci200. My local store has em stocked, but he doesn't know for how long. . His bullets are getting low also. I better stock up while I can.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i've bought over 2000 this week - fed, win and CCI brands, no problems.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on our current economic situation, I seriously doubt that any US primer manufacturer will add capacity for the current peak demand. Rather, they are using second shifts and overtime to "try" to keep up. But, that solution is a very short time fix as workers ultimately get tired of all the Saturday and Sunday work, plus getting home late with overtime, then up early the next day to do it all over again.

Don

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I sure hope this is a result of damand and not a political incurrsion on supply.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clem:
I sure hope this is a result of damand and not a political incurrsion on supply.

Clem,

I'm kind of thinking it is a large blip in the demand, and not based on the Political incurrsion.
The reason I say this is because of the large number of guys, like me, buying lots of primers now, based on Obama being elected, and the fear that he'll terminate reloading entirely, forever.

One of Us
Picture of Tony R
posted Hide Post
I haven't been able to get them in the Vancouver Wa area either. The guys at sportsmans says whenever they do show up which is rare these days guys are buying them by the thousands and not giving any one else a chance to get their hands on them. the shelvs are bare for any reloading supplies. I have been waiting almost a month for bullets for my 50 AE through midway. their primers are all on back order too.

Posts: 75 | Location: vancouver wa. | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 12 March 2009 20:38 Hide Post

I don't want to Alarm any of you or push the panic button to quickly .

Have you stopped to consider what some of the " Bail Out " money may really being used for ???.

Seems mighty strange their are so many stores closing supplies drying up yet a surplus of Bullets ?.

With all that nonsense ( God help us if it's not ) about engraving bullets as well as cases ?.

Some ammunition regulation Bill that's been floating around too every state !.

With all the " Focus " on the Dismal Economic situation timing would be ripe for slipping

through any BS legislation concerning Firearms and Ammo !. Just a Thought !.

I had one back in 2002 about a Huge Wall St. melt down to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. thumb

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted Hide Post
I just picked up 1000 Federal small pistol and 1000 Magnum Large Pistol from Annie's Get Your Gun in Corona.

Posts: 120 | Location: Frisco, TX | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
quote:
Originally posted by Clem:

Clem,

I'm kind of thinking it is a large blip in the demand, and not based on the Political incurrsion.
The reason I say this is because of the large number of guys, like me, buying lots of primers now, based on Obama being elected, and the fear that he'll terminate reloading entirely, forever.

bsflag Bunch of morons thumbdown

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
coyote -

would you care to elaborate, or should we just move this whole topic to the PF now and be done with it?

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are short because of people like me. When I look and two or three have none, first chance I buy 10000 instead of 2000 at a time. I'm OK on large rifle, but I would buy 10000 small rifle primers now. I only have 2000 left and e 223's.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
coyote -

would you care to elaborate, or should we just move this whole topic to the PF now and be done with it?

Yes, I beleive it is a load of BS that anyone would even consider entertaining Obama's ravings as factual. To an even greater extent, I also beleive those who beleive such tripe are morons! shocker Try to prove me wrong fellow reloaders! Wink

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
obama is on record as saying that he does not beleive that people should be allowed to own guns.

a few weeks ago, his attorney general pematurely ejaculated on an assault weapons ban.

time will tell, but we'll see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a few years we will refer to this as "The great primer scare of 2009"

Just like we refer to the previous (identical Clinton inspired) event as "the great primer scare of 1993"

People are buying up everything they see.

Me? I'm still trying to burn through the 40,000 small pistol primers I bought back then.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider taking what money you have left and trying escape the USA.

There are primers in other countries.
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com...wthread.php?t=311966

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://www.lockstock.com/departments.asp?dept=19

At this time, primers are no longer sold online. If you would like to purchase primers, please call us directly at 1-800-228-7925.

Reportedly $35 for 1,000 small rifle primers

http://groups.google.com/group...ad/92856208c7496778#

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I need 3000 FGederal 215 Large Rifle mag primers.I have none to shoot in my 338-378,416 rem mag,338 rem mag 300 win ,and 264 win mag .No primer no pow pow.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clem, I am curious. What is the source document for the Yamamoto quote?

one of us
posted Hide Post
i don't mean to speak for clem, but i think that's a close paraphrase and i am not 100% sure that yamamoto is the one who said it, but it was said.

if i am wrong, i am happy to stand corrected on that one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today I just bought the last primers my local store has. He has some pistol primers yet. He still has Partitions for 30$ He's limiting to 2 boxes per customer. No reloader22, gots 19, 15, 17, 25. Hodgden and IMR are low also.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

The problem is not just in the USA, it is internationally that there is a bit of a supply problem with primers and it has nothing to do with Obama.

This has been a problem here for over 12 months. Primers go for $100 per 1000 and my favorite retailer will only sell you primers if you buy an equal number of projectiles.

This has been the case for over a year now but I won't blame Bush for this other than to say it has been said that the primers are all going into 5.56 and 7.62 for the war on terror. Well thats the story we hear from the importers.

Hopefully the situation will get better with the pull out from Iraq and we can get some reloading done.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hamish - your "Importers" are giving you a load of Bullshit...the "War on Terror" has been going on for 8 years and the volume of small arms ammunition being consumed in that war is dramatically lower than it was when primers were plentiful. Primers were the last cheap component in the reloading process. Everything else has been inflated to the moon and I'd bet primers will be significantly more expensive when they become available again.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
what worries me is that midway, for example, lists no primers for sale, AND NONE ON BACKORDER. some new regulation in the works?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't sweat it for now. I ordered a case from a local dealer who said he was having no problem getting them. We'll see what happens.

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
Reportedly $35 for 1,000 small rifle primers

I was in the local BassPro earlier in the week to pickup 1000 CCI Large Rifle Magnum primers. They had several boxes for $54.00 per box! Needless to say I did not buy. Found them at another local sportsman's store for $28.00.

What I can't find here is small rifle and small pistol.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a near perfect storm with the US DoD buying small arms by the ship load (note: not limited to 5.56, includes 9mm , .30 cal, .50 cal et. al.). This has created a strain not only on the supply of primers but also brass and bullets. The supply of each varies at different times. I am not aware of any munitions companies building additional plants, rather they double or triple shift production. Additionally some of the materials used in primers are also used for other detonating purposes.

I was only recently able to purchase some .280 Rem brass. On top of the DoD you have a number of us who are fear buying (probably for good reason!) and the result creates shortages. I am well set on some primers and in short supply of others. This situation will likely improve in the next year or so if the forces are truly drawn down in Iraq and we don't have another war to fight. The only advice is to keep looking, I found my brass at Cabela's in Wheeling, WV while on business.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have been looking for large pistol primers for the last 2-3 months now...not to be found anywhere....e-mailed CCI and they told me they are making and shipping primers 24/7....and that HOARDING is the reason for the shortage....Last time I bought 5000 large pistol primers was 2004....Just this A.M. I was able to purchase 5000 Winchester Large Pistol Primers from Sinclair International....Am good for another 5 years...

Posts: 23 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 31 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
HOARDING is the reason for the shortage

archer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted this in RWS Brass posting today . Yes Chris Kenny that seems what's available

is Pistol primers !. I was in Temecula as well as several other city's today !!!.

I've got feelers out in NV AZ NM and am awaiting word .

Posted 14 March 2009 03:22 Hide Post
Speaking of RWS Brass has anyone seen any New or Used for sale as of late ?.

.222 .223 7mm Rem Mag .308 30/06 or .338 WM ??. I've been looking for some on various

suppliers sites sales flyers Etc. and it seems to be going the way of primers lately .

NONE available !. I spent the better part of 8 Hr driving about 220 miles today

looking for Large and Small Rifle primers and found ZERO !. One place had CCI and only a

couple of boxes of each . I found Federal match Pistol and Winchester Pistol both sizes .

I stopped in at no less than 12 stores of every description and got the same answer .

The manufactures or distributors been really slow on delivery and when ANY primers become

available we BUY whatever is available !. I'm now Extremely glad I purchased

full case lots of 40K when I did !!!.

Something is in the wind and I don't care for the smell !. Eeker

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GOD it is unbelievable that this got so far out of control! TOTALLY SELF INFLICTED BY ALL OF THOSE WHO HORDED.

It P!$$'s me off that normal loaders are paying higher prices and not able to get stuff because so many idiots pushed the panic button. And quite frankly posts like this are making it worse. Heck, I just bought 100 22-250 cases for about 38 bucks! that's a lot more than what they would have been one or two years ago... pathetic horse hammering Roll Eyes

Posts: 127 | Location: Central Mn | Registered: 12 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by britz:
GOD it is unbelievable that this got so far out of control! TOTALLY SELF INFLICTED BY ALL OF THOSE WHO HORDED.

It P!$$'s me off that normal loaders are paying higher prices and not able to get stuff because so many idiots pushed the panic button. And quite frankly posts like this are making it worse. Heck, I just bought 100 22-250 cases for about 38 bucks! that's a lot more than what they would have been one or two years ago... pathetic horse hammering Roll Eyes

+1.

I'd like to think the situation will improve in the not so distant future, but I'm sure as shit not gonna hold my breath.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
SO why would midway have "NO BACK ORDER" ON THEIR SITE?
has anyone else heard the rumor that govt is contemplating replacing present primers with short lived ones with a short shelf life ( presumably so that some irate AR member doesnt load up a few million rounds and start a rebellion? Wink

One of Us
Picture of Tony R
posted Hide Post
I was curious about midway as well with their primers. I spent the better part of today driving around portland and vancouver and found no primers and no bullets in the callibers that I need. The only primers on the shelves are for shotguns.

Posts: 75 | Location: vancouver wa. | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be nice if the primer manufacturers had enough balls to inform us, their customers, as to what is reallycausing the shortage and what, other than shining us on, is being done to rectify the situation? Ain't holdin' my breath on that either.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few days ago there were no LR primers in town. Yesterday one of the shops got 300,000 primers in, so maybe things are getting back on track. Hope