New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hope it is OK to ask this in this forum. I have a Chrony. I have never felt it was very good. I even sent it in one time and they said it was ok. None the less, deviation in shots. Errors, and just plain no readings have me looking for a replacement. Have any of you used a CED Millennium Chronograph? They sure sound like an excellent accurate unit. Just looking for your input.

WS

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey WS

I had the same problem with the Shooting Chrony. I got a Pro Chrono

and have been very happy with it. It has not missed a reading in 2 years, does not have jointed parts and has a big readout that is easy to read. It looks like it has a larger area to shoot through than the CED.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
i had a lot of problems with my shooting chrony until i backed it off from the muzzle at least 12-15 feet. Only complaint now is those damn rods and screens that you pretty much have to tape up to keep from "exploding" out of the chrony.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I have had two chronographs with skyscreen bullet sensors, one a Chrony "B" model and the other an Oehler. The Chrony has worked well for me, as has the Oehler. I place my "start" screen 10' from the muzzle. The only times I have "lost" a round were when I had my rifle muzzle a little right or left of center of the screen space....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whopper Stopper:
Hope it is OK to ask this in this forum. I have a Chrony. I have never felt it was very good. I even sent it in one time and they said it was ok. None the less, deviation in shots. Errors, and just plain no readings have me looking for a replacement. Have any of you used a CED Millennium Chronograph?

Yup.

quote:
They sure sound like an excellent accurate unit. Just looking for your input.

I love mine. It's easy to set up, accurate (as far as I can tell — .22 LRs register as advertised), and has an excellent display. It's also simple to use.

If you want, you can set it up with IR lighting for days when ambient light doesn't work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips and replies. Truth be told I ordered the CED Millennium Chronograph this morning. I was just tired of tinkering with the Chrony. It may just be the way I had it set up like some of you stated. I don't know. My problem is when I finally get time to shoot I want to shoot. Yesterday I fiddled with the Chrony for over an hour. When I did get a reading I had no idea if it was right or not. Anyway I will see if I can hock it and I look forward to my new one coming.

Again thanks a lot for the tips!

WS

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whopper Stopper:
Thanks for the tips and replies. Truth be told I ordered the CED Millennium Chronograph this morning. WS

I think you'll likely be very happy with your new CED. We have over 1,000 shooters in our rifle club and I'd have to say the CEDs are the most popular chrono among the members if I can believe my own observations over recent years.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive had a pact for about 15 years now. It always works and the only issue I have ever had was on certain days the ;ighting was such that it wouldn't pick up .177 caliber pellets.

http://www.pact.com/index.php?...view&id=19&Itemid=67

I am going to buy a newer model as soon as I stop buying guns long enough to afford one!

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 33806whelen:
Ive had a pact for about 15 years now. It always works and the only issue I have ever had was on certain days the ;ighting was such that it wouldn't pick up .177 caliber pellets.

I am going to buy a newer model as soon as I stop buying guns long enough to afford one!

Lighting is the single most over looked variable in using a chrono.
The lighting needs to be controlled and as consistent as possible.
You will hear rants about how this chrono sucks or that chrono sucks but if you read into it few people that post those rants are play with the lighting.
My chrony hated bright light or extremely dim light.
Think about it you are using an electronic device to measure a shadow moving at or above 3000 fps that's no small order to fill. so lighting is critical and make it as consistant as possible.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
quote:
Originally posted by 33806whelen:

Lighting is the single most over looked variable in using a chrono.
The lighting needs to be controlled and as consistent as possible.
You will hear rants about how this chrono sucks or that chrono sucks but if you read into it few people that post those rants are play with the lighting.
My chrony hated bright light or extremely dim light.
Think about it you are using an electronic device to measure a shadow moving at or above 3000 fps that's no small order to fill. so lighting is critical and make it as consistant as possible.

I have shades on mine and other than the afore mentioned pellets rarely get a bad reading.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I have a CED and have no problems unless the sun gets low. The IR lights would fix that.

I was told early on to set the center of the sensor bar at 15 ft. This will give you consistant readings and keep the equipment from being fooled by the gas front or causing too much wobble from the blow by.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I agree with the lighting issue, as stated in prior posts. On sunny days, I use the screens, especially if the chroney is sitting in the sun. If the chrony is set up in a shadow, or it is a cloudy day, I shoot without the screens. Low light situations, like dusk, the chrony starts to lose accuracy, so I don't use it at sunset.

While my chrony is an old, cheap model, it has served my purposes very well.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
woods

Thanx for the above recommend. Just tried out my new "Pal" and compared to my dad-in-law's awkward Beta Master it was smooth!

Pro Chrono for me.

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
keep the skyscreens on, shoot over the eyes, it works everytime.
I have experimented with just about every user chrono, and they ALL state the same accuracy...

shooting chrony, pact, ced, oehler .. all work just fine, if you do your part... and don't shoot them. one with a remote is REQUIRED

if you get a reading 200fps too fast on a chooting chrony, you failed to open it all the way!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote