Tools

350 Legend
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Anybody shoot one? I'm thinking that in a SBR AR
it would make a great home defence gun. Looks to
be a kissing cousin to the old 351 self loading.
Can the 350 Legend should reach 357 maximum
ballistics out of a 12 or 14" barrel AR.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Lots of guys use them here because they have zero recoil. Seems that shooters I see at the range definitely do not like any recoil. I personally would not touch one with a ten foot Pole (or a 12 foot Czechoslovakian) for two reasons:
1: Case is too small to use in a Mauser. (Bolt face work you know)
2: It is not a .358; it's a 9mm.
3: It seems weak and small; much prefer the 450 Bush for such uses.
Ok, 3.
Look up the ballistics. It will beat a 357 mag by at least half again.
I just read home defense. You will shoot through walls with a 350.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I know this is not your application, but I was seriously looking at the cartridge for deer hunting and decided to pass, a big reason is the case appears to be unique and not easily formable from anything else, even though some forums argue it can be done with a 223. On the one hand, you are talking about an AR platform so worse case scenario is a decade or two from now you are out the price of a barrel which isn't that expensive but I think the Blackout might be a better and longer lived option. I do think for "home defense" over penetration for either round might be a valid concern.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an AR set up with a 350 Legend upper. My neighbor got one and then couldn't find ammo for it. I ran across a set of dies and some brass so I loaded some test rounds for him to try. I bought an upper to test various bullets. Neither rifle would feed the 170gr bullets very well but the 165gr Flex tip worked just fine.

He bought his to use for deer hunting in thickets where shots would be 100yds or less.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight. A lot of valid points to consider.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have to wonder why Winchester didn't just lengthen the 357 maximum case. Make it rimless and keep the .358 bore? I guess
That we will never know Winchesters mindset.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's a 9mm because they have massive bullet presses available to make that size of bullet, already running 24 hours a day. Plus, they figured that it was for the average deer hunter who does not reload and does not care or want to use .358 bullets, like the rest of us do.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I predict the bastard legend will be but a footnote in history in a years time. Well done to the winchester think tank. Roll Eyes

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find the .350 Legend to be a very handy round. I can make perfect 7x33 Sako cases from it which lets me shoot my little darling Sako L46 as much as I like.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I just necked a 350 L down to 30. Might just be THE
perfect round for an AR15! Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Doug
That would be a decent round for someone who doesn't want all the power of a 30 AR.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
Doug
That would be a decent round for someone who doesn't want all the power of a 30 AR.

Yep and stay with the AR15 platform, not the larger and heavier AR10

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I just necked a 350 L down to 30. Might just be THE
perfect round for an AR15! Big Grin

Great idea! I wonder why no one ever thought of something like that before? What's that you say? .300 AAC Blackout? Oh, you mean we've already got one of those?

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The black out was designed for suppressors
Use. Thus the subsonic velocities.
A necked down legend (30x300 Ledgend)would
out perform even Bill Wilsons 300 Hamr and
still do it in a light weight AR15 platform.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The 350 Legend was built to run in an AR15. The cases are made from the 223 case.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The cases are made from the 223 case.

Don't think so. The Legend has a rebated rim

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
The cases are made from the 223 case.

Don't think so. The Legend has a rebated rim

Close but no cigar.

Posts: 712 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Wow after reading the comments on this thread I am absolutely amazed how most of you posters are living deeply in the past and are wrong on most of the information on the 350 Legend.
Some of you guys should read up on your facts before you go offering advice or expertise.

I posted some actual experience on the 350 Legend in the favorite loads area here on AR.

Very capable round throwing a Barnes 170 grain TSX at 2100 plus fps and 1" 5 shot accuracy from a 16" barrel at 100 yards.

tu2

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the TSX yet but my AR is shooting 1" or better groups with the 165gr Flex tips. I have not run them over the chronograph yet.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Ed I shot the 170 grain Hornadys SP, the 165 Flex tips, the 170 TSX and Winchester factory 180 grain power points.
The 170 Hornadys were too soft for my liking but admittedly will kill Deer and Hogs, they also were the least accurate in my rifle.
The 165 Flex Tips seem to be good bullets, slightly tougher than the 170's and definitely more accurate.
The 170 TSX were very accurate and as expected a very tough bullet that expanded every time and retained most of its weight in sand and water jug tests.
The 180 Factory Win Power points were a very impressive bullet, very accurate, held together and penetrated deeply.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to try the TSX's. I shot a lot of game animals here and in Africa with TSX's and they all performed great. When I was looking around for bullets for the 350, they were not available. My AR would not feed the 170's very well. I have had a couple of people tell me that I need to try different magazines from other manufacturers.