New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best std primer fo 45acp
 Login/Join

<Dyno>
posted
I have used CCI300 std lg pistol primers in 45 acp seems like forever.

What primer has given you the best results
for this cal?

Thanks,Dyno

<gone hunting>
posted
Winchester in handgun calibers

------------------
Death Before Dishonor

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Just what you are using...CCI-300

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Powderman>
posted
I have used Winchester with decent results. However, my handguns seem to like Federal, either standard or match, the best.

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.

<Dyno>
posted
Thanks Gang,
I appreciate all the input on primers,like I said ,just wondering what everyone was using.

I've used CCI primers for just about everything for so long with only a couple of exceptions I started wondering if I was in some kind of rut.

Best , Dyno

<Gunner>
posted
I've used Winchester LP and CCI-300s both - have yet to see any difference between the two in 45 ACP...

Haven't tried the Federal Match - is there a significant difference?

Thanks!

Kevin

<Powderman>
posted
I'm not really sure--I know that the Federal primers have thinner cups, so if you have a light firing pin strike, that's a plus.....

I guess it is all about the tastes of your individual arm. For instance, I know of people who will swear by Remington primers--but I have had nothing but bad luck with them. Example--I used Remington primers when working up a load for my .300 Win Mag.

Just by changing the primer from a Remington to a Federal Large Rifle Magnum Match, my groups at 100 yards went from about an inch and a half to about .300 or so. No other component was changed.

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.

<jd_1>
posted
Federal 150's...

<Dyno>
posted
I have often wondered if the Remington 2-1/2
was stronger than the CCI-300. Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Best , Dyno

[This message has been edited by Dyno (edited 02-16-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
cci-300, anything works great in 45acp, I think Fed primers burn cleaner.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Dyno>
posted
GSF1200,
Thanks for the tip on the Fed primers , are you refering to the 150 or the 155 ?

What I was wondering about with the Rem 2-1/2
was that it is strong enough for the Rem44mag
as they do not have a Lp mag primer.

Best , Dyno

[This message has been edited by Dyno (edited 02-17-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use CCI small pistol in my 9mm, and CCI large pistol in my 45. In the thousands of primers I have only had one not fire, but that could also be blamed on the gun.
As for I use CCI for my .22-250 varmint gun, but my 6.5-284 target rifle is fed Federal 210 Match primers. As stated above, I didn't now how much the primer mattered till I switch from CCI Large Rifle to the Federal Matches and they cut my benchrest group in half.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Dyno>
posted

DanD,
Thanks for the input on CCI and the fact that even if what you have been using has always worked great ,it does pay to keep trying to improve on your craft, the Fed primer change proves that.

Best , Dyno