THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Sinterfire Frangible ammo in .223 Rem, anyone use?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sinterfire Frangible ammo in .223 Rem, anyone use?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was thinking about using some of these for a plinking and small varmint round, due to the cheap price ($6.85/100). They are made of a copper/tin composite that disintegrates on impact with hard targets, but the tech I just talked to on the phone said they work well on varmints he's shot. Also, he said that due to being made of a lighter material, they have the profile and wind drift of a 60 gr. bullet even though they weigh only 42 gr. Anyone tried these before? Thanks.

<Loren>
posted
What size varmits? My guess is anything wood chuck size or bigger may be questionable.

As far as wind drift, the advise seems backwards to me. A bullet with the profile of a 60g lead bullet and only weighing 42 grains would drift like a sail boat in the wind.

I'd think for close shots on prarie rats and similar vermin you might be somewhat happy, otherwise they're a cheap way to make noise, but the varmits may be unimpressed.

But you may as well give them a try - then you can write back and show me I'm working on half a deck (my wife would say less).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I called the manufacturer and talked to their tech guy. He says they just sent some bullets out to a ballistics lab to be tested, so he doesn't have a BC for they yet. He says he uses them on smaller varmints quite effectively, and also mentioned that they were working on a 33-gr. HPBT in .224 cal specifically for varminting, with a profile like a 53 gr lead/copper bullet.

Here's what I'm trying to figure out. The only other non-lead bullet I could find a BC on is Barnes. Here's the comparison I found.

53-gr Barnes: BC=0.231
53-gr Hornady: BC=0.229

So, the nonlead bullet, while longer for mass, still has the same BC. So, I don't think the BC for the 42-gr. Sinterfire could be worse than any other 40-45 gr bullet. Worse-case estimate of BC around 0.200. However, when I looked at the 6mm rounds, I found this.

85-gr Barnes: BC=0.401
87-gr Hornady: BC=0.376

So, the Barnes has a BETTER BC despite being longer for mass. So best-case scenario is that they may actually have the BC they claim. I'm going to order a box just to see. Thanks.