THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    270 grain Northfork semi spitzer in a 375 h&H ??

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 grain Northfork semi spitzer in a 375 h&H ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Northfork load data seems quite hard to come by. I love their bullets having used 300 grain solids and spitzers quite a bit in Africa. They are impressive performers on game.

I am now trying to develop a good 270 grain load with this bullet for my 375 H&H. Anyone shooting this and if so what is the magic powder formula.

I've shot from 71.0 up to 73.0 RL-15 with no pressure indications. Anyone know max w RL=15?? Thanks, 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
76-grains of RL-15, as much WW760 / Hodgdon H414
as you can get under the bullet.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nobody can answer what is max in your particular rifle, its up to you using accepted pressure signs to work up a MAX load..I would suggest starting a 2grs. short of max in a reloadin book, and work up from there. Normally your first signs of max may or many not be overly flat primers, as that may be nothing more than a soft primer, a black ring around the primer is a better indication of over max, and its cut back time..I also look for a sticky bolt, extractor mark on case head, time to cut back a grain,...In no specific order btw.. then I reload that case and check for a loose primer pockets then and for all additional reloads. shoot that load about 5 or 6, up to 15 times with a couple of trims, if all it good then That's my max load..Im generalizing and some folks have different methods but most are pretty close..I never accept book listings, they are a generalization or starting place for me..I use one case from start to finish for those 15 reloads..If my load is too hot, the case will tell very soon..

Anyway you cut it, there is no question about it, we are flying by the seat of our pants to one degree or another, even though some deny that..

Pressure is a strange substance, and none of us knows exactly what that pressure might be, but this old tried and true method seems to have been working for a hundred years..damn near that long with me alone..Im comfortable with it, btw IF I USE A BOOK I USE ONE THAT SHOWS THE LOAD AND THE PRESSURE AND I LOOK AT THE ONE THAT HAS THE HIGHEST VELOCITY AND THE LEAST PRESSURE AS GOOD TO GO OR AT LEAST A STARTIGN POINT...

North Forks are great bullets and any book load usually works fine with them.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't help you wiTh the .375 and Northfork, however I have extensive experience with the 270 grain I shoot in my two .358 STA's. I have shot the bullet for years as have son and grandsons. My load is 2850-2900 fps with my rifles and those recovered show perfect mushrooms on Elk-Kongoni-Zebra-Impala. A few Deer of both types have also fell victim to the bullet with no recoveries. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just want to capture this pearl, as it was written
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Nobody can answer what is max in your particular rifle, its up to you using accepted pressure signs to work up a MAX load..I would suggest starting a 2grs. short of max in a reloadin book, and work up from there. Normally your first signs of max may or many not be overly flat primers, as that may be nothing more than a soft primer, a black ring around the primer is a better indication of over max, and its cut back time..I also look for a sticky bolt, extractor mark on case head, time to cut back a grain,...In no specific order btw.. then I reload that case and check for a loose primer pockets then and for all additional reloads. shoot that load about 5 or 6, up to 15 times with a couple of trims, if all it good then That's my max load..Im generalizing and some folks have different methods but most are pretty close..I never accept book listings, they are a generalization or starting place for me..I use one case from start to finish for those 15 reloads..If my load is too hot, the case will tell very soon..

Anyway you cut it, there is no question about it, we are flying by the seat of our pants to one degree or another, even though some deny that..

Pressure is a strange substance, and none of us knows exactly what that pressure might be, but this old tried and true method seems to have been working for a hundred years..damn near that long with me alone..Im comfortable with it, btw IF I USE A BOOK I USE ONE THAT SHOWS THE LOAD AND THE PRESSURE AND I LOOK AT THE ONE THAT HAS THE HIGHEST VELOCITY AND THE LEAST PRESSURE AS GOOD TO GO OR AT LEAST A STARTIGN POINT...

North Forks are great bullets and any book load usually works fine with them.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 163bc:
Northfork load data seems quite hard to come by. I love their bullets having used 300 grain solids and spitzers quite a bit in Africa. They are impressive performers on game.

I am now trying to develop a good 270 grain load with this bullet for my 375 H&H. Anyone shooting this and if so what is the magic powder formula.

I've shot from 71.0 up to 73.0 RL-15 with no pressure indications. Anyone know max w RL=15?? Thanks, 163bc

The boys at NF have always told me to use the equivalent bullet cal/weight in the Barnes manual for TSX/TTSX.

I developed an accurate load for the 270gr but wasn't impressed with velocity.

Developed a load for the 250gr version using H4895 that was somewhere north of 2800fps. It puts a hard smack on PG.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote