THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I called "Glock" and the Tech said......
 Login/Join

Picture of lucy11
posted
So I called Glock to get the scope right from the horse’s mouth. The technician said point blank NO LEAD bullets regardless of its alloy makeup or hardness. He also said no plated bullets, FMJ ONLY thought a factory barrel. No Plated bullets, that’s the part I don’t get. According to Glock the polygonal barrel is not designed for anything but FMJ. No Lead bullets Ok, but no Plated bullets…...really? Can anyone weight in on this?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There have been several instances where, fed a diet of lead bullets, the Glock barrels lead up badly and it in turn increases chamber pressure due to the leading constricting the barrel. Bulged barrels and one ruptured barrel that I am aware of. There are, however, after market, drop in barrels that have lands and grooves if you are bound and determined to shoot lead bullets.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't the exact thickness of the plating on plated bullets. But, it is considerably thinner than the thickness of a standard 9mm bullet jacket. The plating thickness probably doesn't fall within Glock's design specs for use/ suitability in their guns.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Glock 23 shoots the Berry bullets extremely well and they are plated bullets. I talked with several other handloaders and they highly recommended them.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot everything in my 10mm 20 and 29. Cast, plated and swaged. Just clean it after every range time and its good to go. They know that range rentals shoot thousands of rounds between cleanings, so that is what they base it on. I knew of one range that said theirs had 50,000 rounds through them with no maintenance or cleaning.

Posts: 2852 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The tech has to say what the lawyer tells him/her to. I have never heard of a plated bullet issue in the Glock.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would guess a leading issue which worsens with a high volume of rounds fired in a short period of time. Since there is no way of assuring the hardness of the lead bullet...boiler plate don't do it. I have shot plated bullets and as I recall it is extremely thin again an issue on industry standards and quality control, must be a bunch bulging the barrels with reloaded bullets. I had issues years ago with doing hi volume shooting on 22 rifles

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They also say no reloads period. How many glock owners only shoot factory ammo?

Posts: 2852 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just pulled the barrel out of by glock 23. It has had 300 cast from wheel weight bullets throught in the last 3 week.

There is no sign of leading period. Why would a super smooth barrel with a susper hard inside finsh lead worse then a standard machine rifled barrel.

Thats what I don't under stand Glock says there barrel finsh is super smooth very hard.

Dosen't even allow for machine marks to ID bullets shot through them.

So why would a super smooth finsh lead more.

I seen leading in revolver and rifle barrels that when you removed it the leading would come off in flakes.

I just haven't seen leading in my glock barrels.

Each to his own I have more then payed for a couple of glock pistols by shooting hand loaded lead bullets through them.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its to cover their asses and exempt themselves from warranties where handoads were used

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Exactly; no gun company will tell you to use anything but new commercial ammo. I use cast bullets in my Glock all the time, and I also use cast bullets in my 44 Mag Desert Eagle, which they also tell you not to do. If you see any lead streaks after a shooting session, shoot a few jacketed bullets through it; the copper will pick up all the lead and clean it out. Don't do this if you have true "leading" which you won't if your bullets are hard enough. Another point; copper plated bullets are usually soft lead; if they were hard there would be no need to plate them. I have never shot any of these in a Glock; only in 45 revolvers and they work fine but velocity is lower than a 9mm.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is called liability, if you shoot reloads you do it at your risk..you would need to go after the reloading company for remedy
If a firearm "blow up" using factory ammo what you have is two companies pointing the finger of blame at each other and the it will drag on forever

As far a smooth barrels become lead fouled, after the first few rounds the barrel is now fouled, shoot a lot and the barrel heats up take that build up heat and add the heat of friction and the heat of expanding gases and you can cause lead fusion resulting in increased pressure and ba da bing...boom goes the barrel
That is why the higher velocity cast bullets have copper gas checks to prevent lead to become overheated and to cut down on lead fouling

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently few here ever fired a shotgun extensively without the plastic shot cups. Super smooth barrel can lead badly, believe me and those who have had the same experience. And looking down the tube will NOT always tell you if the barrel is leaded. You need to go after it with a tight brush and solvent, followed by patchs and see if any lead shows up.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I an not saying it couldn't lead I am say it shouldn't lead any more then a regular rifled barrel.

A rough barrel will lead faster then a smooth barrel.

I have seen the residue inside shotgun barrels and cleaned them out.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.usconcealedcarry.c...us-polygonal-rifling

The above web site has some information on polygonal rifled barrels.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can I borrow you gun for a couple of hours...have some spare ammo to burn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAohtjG14c

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HK rifling is properly called polygonal, but the Glock is really hexagonal. The simplest explanation in difference is one is male and one is female. If you drove an oversize lead bullet through each you could plainly see the difference.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Just went to Berry's site. They aren't taking order over the Internet. They say that they have such a backlog of orders, that current orders are 6-8 months out. Yikes!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
HEH -- call them back and ask them if speer deep curl or golddots are acceptable -- those are plated..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot THOUSANDS of hard cast lead bullets through Glocks. THOUSANDS. Never a problem.
I just cleaned my Glock after each range session, whether I was shooting cast reloads or jacketed factory loads.

I have actually nworn out 3 different Glock 17 barrels. I stopped by the USA factory one time and they examined my 2 Duty Glocks. I was on my way home form a School.

They had a Walleyed Fit, when they saw the inside of the barrels, until I told them how many rounds those guns had fired each.
[Over 67,000 rounds each]

They replaced my barrels and all the internal parts for free.
I also insisted that they let me shoot 100 rounds through each gun on their range before I hit the road.

Both Glocks worked perfect, just like before.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
whenever I spent an afternoon shooting lead I would follow up with a mag of jacketed bullets to help clean any leading.

Posts: 9 | Location: South Jersey | Registered: 19 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the tech tell you what would happen or potentially happen if you shoot lead and why?

I shot an H&K P7 for years with lead bullets with no apparent ill effects (also polygon rifling and with a gas port). I also have a Glock 23C and I shoot lead through that too. You get lead on the outside of the barrel through the ports and on the front sight.

I also shoot IPSC and many of my fellow competitors who shoot Glocks shoot lead exclusively.

If you are worried about leading then keep an eye on it and get a sense as to how much it leads in how many shots and you will then know next time.

Now I'll just be like the tech and say I can't recommend it, but that is my experience with lead. I will have to suggest you do what the Glock tech guys tell you, but I didn't.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote