New
Find
Notify
Tools

ALLIANT BUYS SPEER, CCI, etc !!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dunno if this is news to you or not, but it sure is to me! Alliant, the powder people, now own Speer & the whole Blount Sporting Equipment Group. I think this is great news.

http://www.blount.com/segclose.html

Sr. Vice President, General Counsel
(334) 244-4340
Release: Immediately

Blount International Completes Sale of Sporting Equipment Group to Alliant Techsystems

MONTGOMERY, AL, December 10, 2001� Blount International, Inc. [NYSE: BLT] ("Blount"), a diversified manufacturer of outdoor products, industrial equipment and sporting goods, announced the completion of the sale of Blount�s Sporting Equipment Group ("SEG") to Alliant Techsystems, Inc. ("ATK") for 3,048,780 shares of ATK common stock and $10,000 of cash. Immediately following this sale, a secondary offering of the ATK shares was arranged by Lehman Brothers, Inc. and Credit Suisse First Boston Corporation for gross proceeds of approximately $237 million. In keeping with our strategic plan, and in accordance with our contractual obligations, net proceeds have been used to reduce term loan debt under our senior secured credit facility. We will now focus on the Outdoor Products Group and Industrial and Power Equipment Group, both leaders in their respective marketplaces. We also obtained an amendment to our $500 million senior credit facility that, among other things, provides for appropriate financial ratio covenants for the next two years.

Headquartered in Montgomery, Alabama, Blount International, Inc. is a diversified international company operating in two principal business segments: Outdoor Products; and Industrial and Power Equipment. Blount International, Inc. sells its products in more than 100 countries around the world. For more information about Blount International, Inc., please visit our website at

Forward-looking statements in this release, including without limitation the Company�s "expectations," "beliefs" and their variants, as defined by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Law of 1995, involve certain risks and actual results subsequent to the date of this announcement may differ materially.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonder how it will affect their respective loading manuals.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<bobshawn>
posted
BigIron __

Having been through a couple of these "takeovers", I'm going to gulp a bit , but not hold my breath. Rockwell took over North American Aviation ostensibly to "diversify". Being a heavy industry concern, their "bottom-line" mentality did not mesh at all with rocket engine research, development, or manufacturing. When they sold out to Boeing we breathed a sigh of relief, thinking that being an aerospace company, things would be different. Not so. The acquistion was to obtain more manufacturing capability for their aircraft production. Soon, there were more airplane parts in the plant than rocket engine parts. For other than Space Shuttle engine commitments, rocket engine R & D diminished still further. About then I retired.

There is a ray of hope. Alliant is one of our best suppliers of firearms and ammunition component producers. We'll just have to wait and see.

Good shooting.

Robert

<Paul Dustin>
posted
All we can do is seat back and see what they do with them.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
This was topic was discussed on an earlier thread. You might go there to get the full account. By the end of the thread nearly everyone was in agreement that the deal was a good thing for Federal-Speer-etc. Alliant, financially speaking, is a much stronger parent company than Blount.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<GAHUNTER>
posted
I'm just glad I've got some older (current) Speer Manuals so I can see what powders, other than Reloader, to use with Grand Slam bullets. You know that the next manual will either favor Reloader or exclude other powders all together.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
I'm just glad I've got some older (current) Speer Manuals .....

I'm glad I've got older manuals so that I can contrast them with the current sissy loads.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Alliant Tech Systems is not the same company as Alliant Powder Co.! ATS does a lot of gov't defense contract work.

[This message has been edited by John S (edited 12-22-2001).]

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that Alliant has just won a contract to operate the Lake City manufacturing plant for military small arms ammunition. They needed cartridge manufacturing experience, so they did the deal with Blount. I don't expect any changes with Federal, Speer, or anyone else affected by the buy out.

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BobShawn,

I have been an "acquiree" myself, though not in the manufacturing industry. Nevertheless, frequently the acquirer has an agenda and disregards the real strengths and potential of the acquired concern.

Hopefully the fact that both Blount Sporting and Alliant Powder are in the same basic industry will help a lot.

It begs lots of questions...will Speer still manufacture Nitrex ammo, or will all ammo manufacturing go to Federal?? Will Federal still load Nosler Partitions in their Premium line, or only Speer G'Slams, T-Bondeds, etc?

In the end, the market will likely prevail; whatever sells will be made & sold.

JohnS, I realize that ATS is different from Alliant Poder, but ATS is the parent company, so they are related. Sometimes that's good, sometimes.......

I am looking forward to the Deep Shocks, I must admit.

BigIron