Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Progressive press for .223
 Login/Join

posted
A friend reloading for his AR is looking at these. I have used the Lee Pro 1000 for my handguns and was wondering if they are OK for the .223. I know the Dillon is great but too expensive for him. Any other suggestions for a more modest budget?

Posts: 3 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 15 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd look at the Hornady Lock-n-load at Midsouth. Plus Hornady is giving away 1,000 bullets on purchases of the AP model before the end of this month.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
IMO, the Lee is only adequate for handgun rounds. The extra sizing force of the rifle round, even small 223, needs a better system. A Dillon 550B or if you want autoindexing, the Hornady LNL is the way to go. You can probably make the Lee work, if you don't load a lot of ammo, but really, if you can afford $200, you can afford $400.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
R/B- I have a progressive hornady old enough to vote. Loaded alot of rifles from the .17rem-7mm. If you ask me if I'd go that way again, I don't know that I would. I could write ya a big letter as to why, but suffice to say its a bitch when ya load small neck brass ( ie. .17 or .204 ). the powder hangs up in the neck and when ya pull the plate down ya got powder goin everywhere., makes ya talk funny !! I've shot more ball powder than I would have. Over all I think I could appreciate a good base or 2 and be ahead. Just my .02. jc

Posts: 4 | Location: plains of co. | Registered: 11 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee Classic Turret for my .223. Works good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gdc:
R/B- I have a progressive hornady old enough to vote. Loaded alot of rifles from the .17rem-7mm. If you ask me if I'd go that way again, I don't know that I would. I could write ya a big letter as to why, but suffice to say its a bitch when ya load small neck brass ( ie. .17 or .204 ). the powder hangs up in the neck and when ya pull the plate down ya got powder goin everywhere., makes ya talk funny !! I've shot more ball powder than I would have. Over all I think I could appreciate a good base or 2 and be ahead. Just my .02. jc

My impression is that Hornady has been making improvements to their press for many years. Their current product is highly regarded and may not deserve your evaluation. Have you used it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a lee 1000 for my 223 i got tired of jerking around with it and chucked it under my bench the primer feed is junk the powder meetering is questionable

Posts: 102 | Location: southeast b.c. | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hornady LNL ap .. huge improvements over time .. great press, fairly cheap.

in my opinion, you must get a progressive, auto indexing, press .. if you can't afford a dillion 650 over a 550.. just hold on a month and save for it ..

the hornady LNL is light years better than the originals

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
hornady lnl just get get use to the priming and it is great

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote is for one of the older Hornaday Projectors.

I know.

But with three of them on the bench, set up for 9mm, 45, 223, it is hard to see anything else but red paint.

James Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
At the moment I still have 6 progressive presses. (I used to have a good assortment of full-auto rifles, so bought a number of Dillons to feed them....bolted them to benches, and left them set up pretty much all the time.)

Nowadays the only progressive presses I use are a pair of Stars, one in .45 ACP and the other in .32 S&W.

Even when I load a thousand or more .223s at a time, I now prefer a non-progressive turret press. I've decided I would rather handle the brass more, but know for sure exactly how everything is going into (and with) each piece of brass at every step.

Not suggesting that is how anyone else should view it, but it IS the way I now look at it.

And sturdy turret presses aren't all that expensive....

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A progressive press anticipates that you don't do any brass prep and the powder dispensing provided is adequate. For precision reloading, neither criteria is met. The powder function should be carefully analyzed.

If you de-cap, prep the primer pocket, and tumble before going to the press, the powder function then becomes the determinant. Should the powder have to be weighed for each charge, the time-saving of the progressive is non-existent.

Should a mechanical measure be deemed adequate, Hornady's is the best available for the application with its case-activated system.

It ain't straight forward.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
My Dillon 550B works great, outlasted my marriage and is now getting set up to load every caliber I own. need a few more parts to be complete but about 80% there. would not trade it unless it was for a 650

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone who replied so far. You have given me some other ideas on what to look for. Keep them coming. It sounds like the newer Hornadys have been an improvement.

Posts: 3 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 15 December 2009Reply With Quote