Find
Notify
Tools

Opening up a 7/8x14 press to 1 1/4x12
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted
So has anybody done this. I have used my 7/8x14 Lyman press since the late 70's and only now may have a need for a 1 1/4x12 threaded press for the larger dies needed to reload a 577-450. I wondered about having the press opened up for the larger dies and having a bush made for the standard 7/8x14 dies. I can trade off the work with the engineer for some other works he needs done.
There will be a reasonably large investment in the rifle, dies, brass and a mould to cast for it and a new press would take the whole package into the too expensive category for just one rifle.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I would just leave my old Lyman as is and buy a Lee Classic Cast Press for about $150. You can always find a use for 2 presses.

I have seen them sell used on E-bay for less than $100.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Not here in New Zealand they don't, and besides I have two presses.

Von Gruff.

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What size is the hole when you unscrew the installed bushing in the top?
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
The larger framed presses have a 1 1/4x12 threaded opening for the larger dies and they have a bush that threads in to take the 7/8x14 standard dies. I thought to do the same.

Von Gruff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took a turret from a Redding T7 into a machine shop a few years ago, did just that. Six regular stations left, picked up a bushing from an Ultramag, sits up about a quarter inch higher than the rest. Lets me have seven usable spots, rarely use em all, but nice to have if I,m monkeying around between different calibers.

Can,t remember the price of the insert, think around 25 bucks.. Lets me use the bigger dies when necessary, smaller foot print on the bench than two presses, has worked well for my purposes.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
VG, I have a 7/8x14 Pacific press and note that the locking ring on some of my dies is 1 1/4" and hence have 'polished' an 1 1/4" circle on the top of the press head. This shows that if the press head was bored out to accept a 1 1/4" threaded die the slot for the primer feed would be almost cut into and leaving the head looking like a threaded C. Probably okay except if you struck a hard sizing case there could be potential to burst the die out of that C, if you follow my drift.

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
VG, I have a 7/8x14 Pacific press and note that the locking ring on some of my dies is 1 1/4" and hence have 'polished' an 1 1/4" circle on the top of the press head. This shows that if the press head was bored out to accept a 1 1/4" threaded die the slot for the primer feed would be almost cut into and leaving the head looking like a threaded C. Probably okay except if you struck a hard sizing case there could be potential to burst the die out of that C, if you follow my drift.

Point taken and having just had another look at the press see that it would do that with mine as well. Might have to re-think this one

Von Gruff.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
VG, on second thoughts if you do not use your press for priming, or even if you do, a steel spacer made up to snug fit in the slot, bore a hole side to side through the slot and spacer and insert a good hi-tensile bolt. Most presses already have a threaded hole in one side for the primer tube clamp screw so just line bore through this and out the other side.
This would prevent the press head splitting out. Of course you could still use the primer slot as the pressure to seat primers is less than the case sizing operation. Just insert the spacer and bolt up tight again before a sizing operation. In fact I would do this little modification before boring and threading for 1 1/4" to make sure the head did not split out during this process.

Just a thought for you to keep costs down and utilise your second press for 1 1/4" dies. Go to it tu2

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Yes that would work and my press has two threaded holes so that and a couple of spots of weld would certainly make things work.
Hmmm --- Bears a good look in the clear cold light of day.

Von Gruff.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i don't have this press on hand,.. is there a bushing in it?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
No bushing which is why I was asking about opening up the 7/8x14 thread to 1 1/4x12 and making the bushing.

Von Gruff.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
No bushing which is why I was asking about opening up the 7/8x14 thread to 1 1/4x12 and making the bushing.

Is this the same combination that a rockchucker comes from the factory with? If so what would be the issue with doing it on yours?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote