New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best company for load development?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a new rifle, thread below, that I would like to have a professional develop a load, or two, for.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...3221043/m/9861028212

I'm aware of superior ammo, but they recently changed owners and John LaSala at Safari Arms is someone I've enjoyed speaking with at SCI.

Wondering if anyone has experience with a company they would highly recommend? Ideally someone familiar with older british sporting rifles?

I know I should do this, but I've just recently acquired reloading equipment, got a ways to go in my learning.

Thanks

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just me, but this is something that can't be contracted out. Have to do it yourself with your rifle.

Posts: 17265 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, unfortunately, I don't have the skills.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I commented on your other thread

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I posted on the other thread as well - It is not difficult and really enjoyable if you have the desire and the patience.

I would suggest you start with the Lyman manual and read the early chapters twice. Just stick to the one book for the first year. It is easy to get confused by reading several manuals and load sources at the beginning.

Just keep it simple and get the basics right before you try experimenting.

For example - start with a Lee anniversary kit - it is cheap, reliable and works well. Just add a basic digital scale to make it easy to weigh the powder charges.

You can get Norma or Lapua brass - very good quality.

Then just follow the Lyman manual and the load I suggested. For the first few weeks of shooting I would just stick to that and get confident.

Remember you are trying to get reliable & safe accurate loads for a classic OLD rifle & not hot loads for a super magnum. If you can get 1.5 inch 3 shot groups, you have a basic good group. After that you can slowly experiment with tightening the group.

ONCE AGAIN - PLEASE POST PHOTOS OF THE RIFLE

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11189 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just buy several different factory loads see what one shoots the best and go with that.

Posts: 19572 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.