New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 hornet
 Login/Join

<mbkddd>
posted
Just bpought a 22 hornet. Could use help with successful hand loads.
Thx,
MBK

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been a fan of the Hornet for years. While it is not know to a tack driver normally. It is not inherently inaccurate either. There is just some things that need to be watched when loading a 22 Hornet. Being a small capacity case sort by weight to .1 of a grain. Do all the case prep work. Then start with IMR 4227 or LIL'GUN. And get ready to experiment with different combinations of primers. I have used Remington 7 1/2 with good results in two different rifles, no my Ruger 77/22 Hornet is a challenge for sure trying Federal small pistol primers next. It will be a fun experience I'm sure. I love the Hornet round for what it is mild midrange cartridge. Have fun with it.

Shoot Safe Shoot Straight.........RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
MBK,
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Hornet.
Winchester cases work best, and I group them by weight (+/- 0.1 grains). This is after uniforming the primer pockets, deburring the flash holes, sizing & trimming. Use tupperware containers to keep the case lots together, and try not to mix them up.
I use Federal #100 small pistol primers. I also use Hodgdon's Lil'Gun. You can't fit enough Lil'Gun into a Hornet case to have a pressure problem. A good load is 13.1 grains of Lil'Gun with a Hornady 40-grain V-Max, seated about .020" off the lands. A better load is with Berger 22/40 MEF's, seated .020" off the lands. If you're the proud owner of a Ruger, drop me an e-mail and I'll tell you all about what I've done to mine that worked, and the stuff that was a waste of time.
Regards, George.