New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doule Base vs. Single Base
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The rifle powders I use are single base, like H4350. I've never used a double base, like RL22. Is there any significant difference in performance, either muzzle velocity or temperature stability?

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<PaulS>
posted
There are some differences between single and double base powders. Some good differences are increased performance within pressure limits. Because the double base powders are newer they are tailored to newer cartridges. The temperatures of ignition are lower but the pressures are higher for a longer span of time so barrel erosion is increased very slightly in very high pressure loadings. The powders in this class are known for their easy flow through powder measures which makes loading with them much easier than having to weigh individual charges.

The drawbacks are few but worthy of note. (some) Double base powders are extremely sensitive when ignited at temperatures below -30F. It does not burn at those low temps it detonates, destroying weapon and at least injuring shooter. At temperatures above 120F it generates pressures that exceed safe levels and the pressure increases trigonometrically with incremental rises in temp. This characteristic is being addressed and there are some double base powders that are less sensitive to heat than others.
The short answer to your question is that yes there are differences but within the 'normal' shooting temps and pressures the advantage goes to the double base powders. I hope this has helped you understand the differences between the two and the limits of safe operation.

PaulS

------------------
stay safe and live long!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very helpful! Thank you.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I blew up my 1911 one day without knowing why - I wonder: double base ?

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote