Find
Notify
Tools

6x45 Speer bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted
I cannot get Speer's 80gr bullet to shoot in my 6x45 in various powder combinations.
I particularly want to use this bullet for numerous reasons, namely cost, velocity, relative strength and availability.
This rifle shoots 85 grain Sierras and Partitions very well.
Our South African powders are different to yours', but I would appreciate any tips from someone who has experience with the 80gr Speer.

Posts: 783 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
PS Twist is 1:10 and the rifle, based on a Sako also shoots 58 gr V-Max and 100gr Partitions well.

Posts: 783 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW,

I had a 6x47, and the only way I could get any accuracy out of it was to seat bullets hard up against the lands of the barrel. By doing that, I got outstanding accuracy. My twist was 1-12, and I was shooting 70 gn bullets.
At your point into the accuracy investigation, I would give it a try. You have nothing to lose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In testing a lot of 6mm bullets lately, I have found that almost any other bullets from other manufacturers are more accurate than Speers...

exceptions being their 90, 105 and 70 grainers...

in other calibers they are as accurate as any other manufacturers...

maybe Speer needs to try and tighten up their Q/C on their 6mm bullets..

I'd try another bullet...

Hornady's 75 grain HP has always been a very good and accurate bullet for me and would be my first pick on a 6 x 45...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
I cannot get Speer's 80gr bullet to shoot in my 6x45 in various powder combinations.
I particularly want to use this bullet for numerous reasons, namely cost, velocity, relative strength and availability.
This rifle shoots 85 grain Sierras and Partitions very well.
Our South African powders are different to yours', but I would appreciate any tips from someone who has experience with the 80gr Speer.

Try an extruded powder with a burn rate about like IMR4198 up to say about like H322.
Make sure you have a twist faster than one turn in 14". The rest is good mechanical assembly of your loads.
My shooting is with a 6X47 with a 14" twist.
None of the long bullets do well in it. I have never found bad load with 75 grain to 70 grain bullets.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your gun does not want to shoot 80 grain Speer's well, just get over it.

You stated that it shoots 85 grain Sierra's well, what it the problem? I shot a number of deer with 85 grain Sierra's with a .244 Remington and they worked well.

If your gun does not shoot 80 grain Speer's well, try the 90 grain version. I shot the biggest buck of my lifetime with a 90 grain Speer out of that old .244 Remington and it dropped him in his tracks.

My point is don't be stuck on one bullet, if something else works better, go with it.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On average, my friends and I have had more accuracy issues with Speer than the other brands. Usually have best luck with Sierra, Nosler, and Hornady. I don't load any "premium" bullets.

Like someone else said, just shoot what your rifle likes best. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
If your gun does not want to shoot 80 grain Speer's well, just get over it.

Point taken, but as stated, these bullets are just extremely convenient for me to use.
Thanks too for all the tips and the search will continue.
It does seem that this bullet likes to be set further out as a poster mentioned and I can try there again and use it as a single shot.
All said, I will just move on!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 748 powder in my 6x47 with the bullet I mentioned above, and with Rem 7 1/2 primers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have found that almost any other bullets from other manufacturers are more accurate than Speers...

+1

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote