New
Find
Notify
Tools

AT 500
 Login/Join

<cs>
posted
Does anybody have any experience with a Dillon AT 500? I seriously need to upgrade from my Lee Challenger and was thinking of this.
I am not (yet) a high volume reloader, but the 500 caught my eye. Does this press have any advantages over anything comparitivly priced? Should I look at something else?
I don't know anybody that has Dillon stuff, so I am just looking for opinions.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Cs,

We have a number of Dillon pistol presses - we set up each for one caliber.

They all work great.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66999 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cs:
Does anybody have any experience with a Dillon AT 500? I seriously need to upgrade from my Lee Challenger and was thinking of this.
I am not (yet) a high volume reloader, but the 500 caught my eye. Does this press have any advantages over anything comparitivly priced? Should I look at something else?
I don't know anybody that has Dillon stuff, so I am just looking for opinions.

Opinion only:

The dillon AT500 is interesting (though I don't have one) as it seems to be the 550 without priming or powder measure systems. Further, it has a unique shellplate with 4 different sizes. These 4 sizes handle many common calibers, but only one case at a time. This rotates the cases around just as the progressive does.

Would I buy an AT500? NO.

Why? Because I still must have primeing and powder systems of some kind. When you add the cost of adding the automatic primeing and powder feed, you might as well have bought the 550b.

And I can buy a rockchucker for 1/2 the price that uses standard shellholders. This will accomadate any odd caliber if they are not to long. Other presses are available if I want to load case for very long calibers.

Further, I understand and like 'BATCH' processing. I like being able to inspect cases after the resizeing operation, and the primers after seating them all. And I particularly like being able to see the powder in the all the cases before I seat the bullets.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Abe Normal>
posted
I agree with JerryO, if your looking to speed up the loading process without going to a full progressive press why not consider a Turret press? There are many advantages to a turret type press, such as, they use �standard shell holders�, no need to disturb your dies once there set and quick caliber changes.

Midway and or Natchezss has the RCBS turret press on sale this month. If i remember correctly it was about $140.00.

------------------
Abe

If everyone thought like me, I'd be a damn fool to think any differently!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The AT 500 is a single stage version of the 550B that can be upgraded to the 550B. I have used a 550B for about 10 years and I have no plans to get rid of it. Might as well buy the 550B, you can use it as a progressive or a single stage.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
Yeah, what Robert said!

Go Dillon, it's just a better rig.