THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Do You Use to Lubricate Your Press?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted
Just picked up a Hollywood Senior in outstanding condition and am wondering what to use to lubricate it with? This is not my only press, so I am interested in finding an optimum lubricant to oil and protect joints, exposed metal, and rams.

So the question is: What do all you use to oil your presses with? If I get enough responses, I might start a poll.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Break Free.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to use, when I had it, powdered graphite. I now just use normal A J Parker gun and rifle lubricating oil. When my stock of that is finished I shall have to think again!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem Oil is what I've been using.

I unmount the Press and lay it on it's side. Then put a drop of Rem Oil on each Linkage Attachment, work it a bit and let it set over night. Turn it over the next day and repeat the process. Then a bit of Rem Oil on a Patch to wipe the Ram with on the third day and remount it.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3-in-1 oil

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Not to sound smug, but whatever oil is closest. I have a couple rag bits that are moistened with ATF that most stuff gets wiped down with.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amsoil High performance reloading press racing oil

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I use STP to lube cases with, so I'll wipe any excess that is on my fingers on what ever part looks ignored.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eezox oil for the firearms, dies, press and any other tools I don't want to rust.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Every year or so i give it a good spray with Gunscrubber. Then I oil it with any oil - 3in1, Rem, etc. I then use a small bit of the white grease on the shaft area that tend to dry out easily. I use this on my Lee & Redding single stage presses.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
WD-40 fishing

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Mark. Whatever oil is close to hand.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TEFLON TRI-FLOW or BoeShield T-9 which ever one I happen to grab first . BoeShield is a Wax so it's super

clean low residue building and nearly completely weather proofing . Tri Flow on the other hand is

more of a traditional Lubricant petroleum oils with PTFE . Another one of my favorite line of products

includes KanoLabs products . Nothing better for loosing rusted or carbon fouled parts or cleaning a

bore with than Aero Kroil !. Take your pick of any of their multi use lubrication products !.

http://www.boeshield.com/

http://www.triflow.co.uk/

http://www.kanolabs.com/

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
used Chevron or Castrol 20-50w.

Or 3 in 1.

Or WD 40.

Or Rem Oil.

Or motorcycle chain wax.

It's never seemed to make much difference in all honesty.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 for WD-40 or what ever i have handy

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
What ever I`m using on my guns goes on the press. I`m not too fussy, as long as they`re wiped and lubed with something every so often the presses seem happy too

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Pennzoil 10W-30. Wipe it on with a rag.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Synthetic compressor oil. Had a couple 5 gallon buckets given to me and use it for everything.

Makes pretty good cutting oil too. The synthetic doesn't run from heat as bad as alot of cutting oils.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keven, the point being made is that lubing a press is non-critical. The moving parts are very low speed so any type of lubracating oil is fine.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use FP 10 a lot and for my shotgun loaders I use what ever MEC says. 90 weight comes to mind along with anti-seize grease.

Greg

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
Keven, the point being made is that lubing a press is non-critical. The moving parts are very low speed so any type of lubracating oil is fine.
+1

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
jeffe's purple nerple .. or white lithium

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Lanotec Heavy Duty Liquid Lanolin:
http://www.lanotec.com.au/?link=3

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of tckurt
posted Hide Post
I just use auto trans fluid in a oil can seems to flow in and works for me.kurt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a light film of Mystik JT-6 HT/MP

or red military grease if you will. My jeep and press live on this stuff

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
WD-40 fishing
+2

Ken

One of Us
posted Hide Post
White lithium on the press ram, Rem-oil on all other moving parts.

I might just switch to sprayed white lithium for everything, but cleaning is a little harder when the grease picks up particulate matter.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote