New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality Reloading Equipment.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After a great deal of cosideration I chose a Forster Co-ax press. Now for the rest of the equipment. Like I said before; I know NOTHING so I would really appreciate your recommendations on everything else I will need(A-Z). Which type and brands of dies(that work with the Forster), scales(manual or electronic), trimmers, bullet pullers, deburrers, micrometers, and especially all the stuff that us newbies just don't know about!!! Also, if I want to make very accurate ammo, can I use standard dies or do I have to use competition dies?

I want to be as prepared as possible so as to minimize what I will be learning the hard way. Safety is a HUGE consideration with me while making or trying out my own ammo so please be thorough in that area.

As far as manuals go, I'll do like many of you have mentioned and get as many as possible. I'm planning on trying Hornady, Sierra, and Nosler bullets so I'll make sure and get those first. I will also try some of the cartridge specific manuals too. Someone mentioned that new additions will be out in April. Does that go for all the manuals?

Many thanks to those for the input already given and to those yet to post.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,
Once you get the fever, if you want "extreme" accuracy ammo, you may as well start with top of the line dies and other equipment and save yourself expense down the road. Start with the best now.

The die manufacturers all make good stuff now but most experienced reloaders vote for Redding, Forster and RCBS, as the top die makers, in just about that order. You may as well start with the bushing sizing dies from Redding for the calibers for which you will be most demanding. You don't need competition sizing dies but the micrometer seaters will be very helpful later in adjusting for seating depths. The Forsters will unquestionably work in your Coax. With a Coax, why not just stay with Forster all the way? (Except for the bushing dies.)I like their collet type bullet puller also.

As for scvales, I've had, and still have a number of them, including a scientific scale, but I've found the Pact scale and trickler system to suit my methods and I've found it to be quite convenient and accurate in the electronic scales. The RCBS beam scales are also quite good, but slow.

You'd do well if you're going forward for extreme accuracy, to get a Stoney Point Chamber-all with the comparators for the calibers you'll be loading. It's a very valuable measuring tool once you learn your needs and how to utilize it.

Besides the various loading manuals, consider getting Sinclair's book on reloading. It has some very valuable tips on reloading for extreme accuracy and well worth the price. Have fun!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,

Email me and I'll be able to relate some of my ideas to a fellow husker (since you took my advice on the press!)

Roger

Just click on the first icon after the date/time stamp that looks like a rolodex card with a face and ? mark.

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Thanks for your help!!!

When I click on that icon, it brings me to the screen with your profile and says that your current e-mail is unavailable. Did you change it recently? If you send an e-mail to me, I can reply. If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same when I try you, but my profile lists it when I check it. send me a note at:

casper_t856@hotmail.com

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say that of quality basic equipment, the items that have saved me the most heartburn compared to their predecessors are the Forster case trimmer, and the RCBS 10-10 scale.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check your email Nebraska!