Find
Notify
Tools

Concentricity Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted
Hello all, just finished checking the concentricity of some loads and found a couple out of 50 or so that did not meet my specs, this got me to thinking what do other people do when they find this situation. So here is the question what do you do when you find some of your loads do not meet your concentricity specifications. Do you fix them and how? do you dissasemble them and start over or something else. Thanks in advance for any and all comments on the subject. Smiler

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member

Posts: 106 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
On ammo that I'm trying to print small groups with I fix them if they run out past .005 TIR

I use a Sinclair type concentricity gauge to check runout.

I use a Tru-Tool type block for "bending" the necks back into C/L

Trutool

For general hunting ammo I just use it without checking run out

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot them, and see what happens.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me it would seem impossible to "fix" them. I've always wondered about those ideas amd tools. Pushing on one side will change tension on the other and essentially bend the case mouth and neck open one would think....

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a factory SAAMI chamber a full length resized cartridge is supported in the rear by the bolt face and the bullet in the throat.

The body of the case does not touch the chamber walls and "guide or align" the bullet in the throat.

The only part of the case that touches the chamber is the case shoulder.

The late Jim Hull of the Sierra ballistic test lab and compeditive shooter jokingly said the following....

"The case should fit the chamber like a rat turd in a violin case."

I have both runout gauges below.

The hornady gauge on the left holds the case as it would be held in your chamber and reads half of what the other gauge reads. And the RCBS gauge spins the case on the body, and a full length resized case body does not touch the chamber walls.

The U.S. Military considers ammunition with .003 or less runout to be match grade ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The few that exceed my standards (don't laugh), I put a magic marker X on them and then shoot them. I shoot them separate from my match ammo but see if they go into the same group. Quite often they do.
Then I reload them and give them another chance. If they still don't prove up, into the scrap bucket they go.
I actually prefer to fire cull my brass. I don't check run out on my hunting ammo.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigrdp51:
In a factory SAAMI chamber a full length resized cartridge is supported in the rear by the bolt face and the bullet in the throat.

The body of the case does not touch the chamber walls and "guide or align" the bullet in the throat.

The only part of the case that touches the chamber is the case shoulder.

The late Jim Hull of the Sierra ballistic test lab and compeditive shooter jokingly said the following....

"The case should fit the chamber like a rat turd in a violin case."

I have both runout gauges below.

The hornady gauge on the left holds the case as it would be held in your chamber and reads half of what the other gauge reads. And the RCBS gauge spins the case on the body, and a full length resized case body does not touch the chamber walls.

The U.S. Military considers ammunition with .003 or less runout to be match grade ammo.

The Hornady run-out gauge shown above can be used to help eliminate non-concentricity - easy to do and helps in most all cases, but does not always completely straighten out the cartridge.