New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using nosler 308 brass??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
WOW--I just got a bag when ordering some bullet blems from the shooters proshop. Just for kicks I weighed them compared to some new win brass I had sitting here. The nosler weighs ALOT MORE!! MY win brass was about 155 grains and the nosler is weighing in at about 173 grains. I'm guessing I might have to back down my favorite loads about 1.5 grains to match the loss in case capacity?
Amyone have experience with them??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kraky, I noticed much the same differential, in several different cases. I did start low and work up, but ended up pretty close to the same loads I had in other types of brass.

I really like the nosler brass, it seems to resize easily and is pretty darn consistent IME.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Brass is not all the same. That’s why I don’t mix them.

Pick a manufacture of brass and stick with them for any given round.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What.....no fiddling around.....what kind of reloader isn't always doing that??
Seriously though....I had bought some Graffs brass when it was on sale. Not sure who built it for them but e-gads was this stuff "thick" everywhere you measured it. AND, the Graffs stuff is even lighter than the Nosler.
I found with my chrono that there was about 80fps diff between Graffs and Win brass. Using Quickload to help with forecasting it looks like if the same holds true with the Nosler stuff about 1.5 grains less powder will net the same speed. But who knows.....maybe they will wind up close....won't know till we try em.
I've been doing alot of winter shooting up here with a fussy 300 wby and have been real suprised at how "full" the cases look between real wby brass and rem brass but, there is only about 30 fps difference with the loads I'm working with. Maybe freebore takes that factor out of it somewhat. Can't imagine working this stuff without my chrono. Also, taking away testing in 25 degree weather and going at it in 75 degree weather may yield another surprise when working with case capacity changes.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote