THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Cartridge conversion: excess metal goes to the base

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridge conversion: excess metal goes to the base
 Login/Join

posted
I'm (trying) to convert .327 Federal Magnum to .300 Rook using RCBS dies. The excess metal is being forced down to the web of the case thus thickening the case by an additional .020 inch. Besides using a lathe which I don't have, does anyone have any suggestions? Bertram cases seem to fragile, .32H&R Mag cases and other .32 cases are either to short or even less available.

Thanks,
mjg

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjg:
I'm (trying) to convert .327 Federal Magnum to .300 Rook using RCBS dies. The excess metal is being forced down to the web of the case thus thickening the case by an additional .020 inch. Besides using a lathe which I don't have, does anyone have any suggestions? Bertram cases seem to fragile, .32H&R Mag cases and other .32 cases are either to short or even less available Thanksmjg

popcornI guess I don't understand everything I know. The web is thickening by .020". I'd kinda like to see this. bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the before diameter of the .327 brass?
What diameter are you trying to swage it to?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite sure I know what you're measuring but I can assure you that you ain't pushing any side wall brass down into the web/base.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
This is what he is talking about.

This is a 32 S&W Long which I have squeezed down to make 320 Rook.
I think if I measured the web area, it would probably be the same before and after forming.
The only thing to do now is to lathe off the base and trim to length.
OR, get smart and find some 32 Long Colt and forget the forming path.
Same goes for the 300. Just buy some brass. It will last forever and is easy to get.
As for length, I doubt there would be any problem shooting the short rounds in the 300. Kind of like the .22 short, long and long rifle but there you are talking the same forming step regardless of the case length.

Oh, this shoulder is just a result of the shell holder not allowing the die to push all the way down to the rim.
I am thinking that if you (or I) had a die and plunger that could push the case all the way in, it may be possible to size the brass and leave little or no bulge at the base. Would have to be pretty stout to squeeze the web down though I would think.
Or, if the bore of your gun is toast and you are just looking to get it to shoot, you could ream out the first 1/8" of your chamber and have the worlds only .300 Rook Belted Magnum! Eeker

Posts: 3323 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
That pic is incomplete sizing.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you can push the case all the way in then
push it out with a rod. that's the way old timers used to do it, bench shootewrs still do.
Use your press as an arbor press, lot's of
Imperial Die wax.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes you can push the case all the way in then
push it out with a rod. that's the way old timers used to do it, bench shootewrs still do.
Use your press as an arbor press, lot's of
Imperial Die wax.

+1 tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pushing the case all the way into the die and pushing it out with a rod and you have a very good chance of cracking your die. It doesn't take much to crack a die. They aren't made to "swage" cases down. Also you will have spring back and the case may still be too fat to chamber. You need for someone to make you a heavy duty swage down die. For example I've made them for taking 308 down to 6.5 Japanese. I'm not real fond of lathing off the part you can't size down as all that does is weakens the case.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
mjg,
Does you brass look like the case I have shown?
This is why I just went ahead and sourced the right brass.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote