New
Find
Notify
Tools

excessive leading
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i get heavey leading in the last 2 inches of the muzzle in my sxs d.r. after only one shot. im using wheel weight lead cast lead bullets .430 in. @ 1400fps i slugged the barrel and it is .429-.430 should i go to a .428 bullet or ??? any suggestions?

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I would look at changing your alloy to 50/50 ww/PB and sizing it to 431 so you get full obduration for a better fit in your barrel.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What cast bullet and lube specifically?

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the bbl could start out at a larger dimeter and get smaller at the muzzle.
i'd measure a bit more then i'd look at what lube i was using.
if home made, you can lighten the viscosity of the lube.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i cant remember what lube was used i ordered them from midway but i will try some .431 50/50 cast bullets and see what happens. thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leading near the muzzle is usually an indication of lube issues - maybe not enough lube, maybe the wrong lube for the job.

Posts: 665 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Your need a .431" to .432" bullet. Alloy needs to be harder with Tin added. Good lube helps. Adding antimony/tin will make a larger diameter bullet as it drops from the mold. Lee INfo > Cast bullet leading

A clue to what is causing the leading is where the leading first begins to appear. If it appears near the chamber, chances are that bullet diameter or hardness are the cause.

A diameter too small and/or too hard an alloy will allow high pressure gas to leak past the bullet, which erodes the bullet and leaves leading near the chamber.

If the leading first appears on the leading edge of the rifling (if you imagine the bullet being pushed through the barrel, you will note that one edge of the rifling does most of the work of imparting a spin to the bullet. This is the edge you see when you look through the barrel from the breech end) the bullet might be too soft, and/or the velocity too high.

If the leading appears in the second half of the barrel, the bullet is running out of lube. You should see a star shaped pattern of lube accumulate on the muzzle. This is an indication that there is a little excess lube.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
normally i expect leading at anything much over 12-1300 fps

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote