Notify
Tools

lubricant poll
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Howdy,

Ok, this is a poll which will be taken:

What lubricant do you use during your loading, and.....why?

I'll start.
I use the same RCBS grease tube that came in my ammo-maker kit in 1968. Can't use the stuff up. There is another product that I use and like better, but let us wait until some other folks have answered this poll.

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Coach. Still trying to use up my standard-issue RCBS lube. I have two of the little bottles that I've been using for probably 10 years now. And to tell you the truth, I'll probably keep using the stuff after these run out. Why? Don't fix what ain't broke.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to use the beeswax lube until I tried Imperial sizing wax. It's not as messy, goes faster once you get a system of rubbing your finger in the tin and applying it to the brass as you're inserting the brass into the shellholder. I've done over 1,000 pieces of .223 brass and several hundered Hornet cases and haven't even made a dent in the little tin it comes in. Nary a stuck case either.

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
One more useing RCBS lube. I "hear" Imperial wax is a better lube from few buddies but the RCBS has worked for me the last 35 yr and I see no reason to change.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Ricochet>
posted
Imperial Sizing Wax, just the best there is. tried the Hornady One Shot and was very dissapointed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Imperial die wax.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried several things: Dillon spray on lube which has the advantage of being fast and relatively easy to clean off, but which really messes up your dies and will dent cases; however, it will not rust dies. Lee lube which is easy to use, easy to get off, but will rust your dies. And now, I too am back to RCBS, but I am running out (my plastic tube broke years ago, and I poured it into a vitamin bottle from which it is hard to extract.) Anyone know where I can get more?

Lastly, I have never heard of this wax. How is it applied; what does it do to dies; and where do you get it? Ku-dude

[ 09-23-2002, 07:20: Message edited by: Ku-dude ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy again,

I've heard that Imperial Sizing Wax is very, VERY good; however, I have no first hand knowledge of this product. You can find it in Sinclair's website....sinclairintl.com. I understand that they also make a neck sizing lube as well. My father used to dip the necks of his brass into a film cannister filled with graphite. I finally talked him out of it. Graphite is mostly carbon, which is turned into diamonds (the hardest substance on Earth) by heat and pressure. Since that is exactly what is inside the chamber of a modern high intensity rifle round, I just would rather NOT use the graphite. I would be afraid of excess throat wear. He now uses mica the same way he used graphite. Anyone have opinions about this technique???

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still working on the bottle of RCBS that came with my chucker. A little of that stuff goes a long way.

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Imperial sizing lube and a NECO kit for the inside of necks...grpahite (I think) with little bb's to keep it from caking.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
Another vote for Imperial die wax. That is all I use

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coach Hunt:
Howdy,

Ok, this is a poll which will be taken:

What lubricant do you use during your loading, and.....why?

I'll start.
I use the same RCBS grease tube that came in my ammo-maker kit in 1968. Can't use the stuff up. There is another product that I use and like better, but let us wait until some other folks have answered this poll.

Coach

Another vote for Imperial die wax and I also use the dry molly/small shot lube from Neco for neck sizing cases and it works well without the need for removing after sizing....

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use both I.s. wax and rcbs. Rcbs is easier to wipe off so I only use the wax for sizing up a neck or in a die that takes alot of effort (my 30-378). (use rcbs 85% of the time) IN the case mouth I use the midway powder for .223-.243. Any bigger and I lube the inside with the rcbs and make sure I wipe it out of the case mouth.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
RCBS Case Lube 2, the water soluble stuff. Works great.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Thanks for the responses folks. I use the RCBS tube MOST of the time, but when the going is tough, and run-out seems to be too high no matter what I do, out comes the secret weapon! It is an extremely OLD vial of C&H Tool Co. die lubricant. I think it was last marketed about 40 years ago. It works good, wipes off easier than anything I have tried, it won't rust dies, and it is "slicker" in the dies than anything else I've tried. Its only drawback is that too much will definitely leave marks in the shoulders.

I am surprised that no one has said anything about using mica.

Good shooting folks!!!

Coach

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The RCBS stuff...I have been reloading for over 40 years, and I now have FOUR bottles of it sitting on my bench. I'm still using the first one...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
Another vote for Imperial Sizing Die Wax. I've reloaded hundreds of Hornet, .17 Remington, .243, and .308's, no dents, easy cleanup, and not even half through the small tin yet. I also use the Imperial Dry Neck Lube (graphite, I think).
Mr Ricciardelli, would you like another full bottle of the RCBS stuff?
Regards, George [Big Grin]

<Phil>
posted
Imperial Sizing Die Wax - easy to apply with your figers and easy to clean up with a paper towel. However, I don't think you could go wrong with the RCBS lube and pad system.

[ 09-24-2002, 06:08: Message edited by: Phil ]

<Abe Normal>
posted
KY Jelly.

Oh, sorry I thought you wanted to know... Never mind!

Midway's Spray-N-Lube.

<Delta Hunter>
posted
Most of the time I don't use any lubrication because I neck size with the Lee Collet neck die which doesn't require lubrication. Not having to lube the cases is a real plus.

Otherwise, when I'm full length sizing I use Imperial sizing wax.

<RickMD>
posted
I've tried about everything and really like the Dillon spray lube the best. It's effective, fast, and easy to wipe off. The trick is to use the smallest amount of spray that you think you can, then cut that amount in half. Let the lube dry for about three minutes an you'll have no denting of cases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Using the stuff that came with the Lyman press kit I bought - works O.K but you have to refresh the pad at the start of every session - tube is about out after 300 reloaded shells. I remember RCBS goo from long ago -next time I see some - its mine.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over thirty-three years of reloading, I've used several case lubes. The RCBS lube was all I used for years until trying the Lee Lube. Then I got lazy and went to the spray lubes leading to my first stuck case. Imperial Sizing Die Wax was great but generally hard to find in local shops. Lately, I've been using a Hornady packaged sizing die was and it is great. Cheap, easy to clean up and very smooth even when forming cased. It's the Hornady product from now on. Ed

Posts: 161 | Location: Seattle - temporarily! | Registered: 04 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to use the RCBS lube that came with my RCBS reloading kit. However since then I have found Imperial Sizing Die Wax. It is much easier to use and a little goes a long, long way. I have never had a single dented shoulder using Imperial Sizing Die Wax either. I don't care for the spray lubes at all (e.g. One Shot).

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any kind of motor oil, non-detergent preferably. I happened to have a quart of Mobil AV-1 Synthetic Aviation oil on hand when it was pulled from the market (due to incompatability with leaded aviation gasoline). Clean and slick with no smelly additives. Looks like it might last me until sometime in the 23rd Century.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank You Stonecreek, I steadily waded through this post wondering if I was going to find anyone else who had looked at high pressure synthetic lubricants.

I was drawing 0.222 cases down to form 0.300 Sherwood cases and started off using the RCBS tube from my reloading setup.

After modifying a die I was too lazy to climb up two levels to get the RCBS lubricant so I placed a drop of Duckhams oil on my finger tips and wiped the case. I was absolutely staggered by the reduction in drawing forces. I then also used it when forming 8x68 cases into 0.280 Ross cases - dimpled a few necks from excess oil but again, the forces are far less than with the RCBS lubricant.

Good stuff - always on hand, seeing as I service my cars myself - and works like a charm.

cheers edi

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got this tip from a Gray Beard about 20, maybe 25 years ago afther he heard me bitching about messy lub and a stuck case. Mink Oil. The kind used to rub on leather. He said to put a little on the fingerprint of the thumb, then hold the case between the thumb, index and middle finger ans twist with the other hand. A little goes a long way. I though he was nuts, but had some Mink Oil on hand for my boots. I tried it. The old boy was right. A little goes a long way. It's as close to a greasless, messless lub as I have ever been. I put a little on, size then wipe it off. It works and works great. I haven't had a stuck case since I started using the stuff.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Ohaygen>
posted
My vote is fore the Hornady One Shot.If applied from four sides it can't be beat. Quick, clean, and I never had a stuck case.It's only down side is its number of applications per can.

<Taildraggin>
posted
LPS 3 outside with a graphite dust bath for inside the necks. Forms cases like an otter slipping into the water.

<phurley>
posted
Hornady One Shot. Like someone else said, spray all four sides from an angle of 45 degrees above, to get inside the neck. Good loading. [Wink]

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
I've switched to RCBS Case Slick. Very nice.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Depending on what i'm sizing,,,I dump 50-150 cases on a cookie sheet,spray them with one shot,give the tray a side to side shake and spray them again,some times a third time if I feel the need.To me hornady one-shot is one of the greatest things since sliced bread.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
<PaulS>
posted
I started out using the RCBS tube that came with the kit - you know pad etc. - well I couldn't get the proper amount - too much = dents / too little = stuck case. I did a little research and found Type F ATF! I stapled an old was cloth to a cedar board and let the ATF soak in. It wipes off easily, solved the dents and sticking cases and it even lubes the inside of the neck without the brush. Whatever works for you is good enough.

PaulS

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I load for pistol cartridges mostly and use carbide dies so I don't use much lube. When I do load for rifle calibers I just use the stuff from RCBS that came with my rockchucker reloading kit.
I've had the two original tubes for years and am only halfway through the first.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Dillon spray lube. I find it fast and easy. Reading the comment from Rickmd I will have to try and quit using so much. But if I get a stuck case he is going to hear from me [Smile] I am ready to order another bottle from Dillon after about 8 years and 2 bottles. Never had a stuck case and only 1 or 2 dented ones. Smokey

Posts: 160 | Location: Whitehorse Yukon Canada | Registered: 20 April 2001Reply With Quote
<anvil>
posted
I changed to spray......easy, clean, fast...seems to work fine. Why not?

one of us
posted Hide Post
As one can see from reading all these posts, about anything will work...Back in the good old days most used Vaseline on their cases...Some used Lanolin mixtures...ever try automatic transmission oil? it works.

I use Imperial and RCBS or whatever is handy...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS stuff and pad that came with the kit.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Imperial die sizing wax if caseforming or sizing just a few cases.

Hornady 1-shot if working up a bunch of cases.

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i tumble my cases an wipe them down before i resize em. i use lee speed dies with carbide sizer no need for case lube.got a bottle of case lube i tried once an once was enough to show me a better way was to use carbide dies. mebbe theres different rules of thumb for bottleneck rifle cases. all i do right now is .357 .38 an 9mm.
did get a lee bullet sizer kit with the liquid alox lube. didnt like that much. luckily the friend who taught me reloading has a lubrisizer.

a .357 mag can be your best friend.....