New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range 300WinMag load ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi All and thanx for an excellent forum.
I just got my 300wm and i have shot 100 rounds so far with the new barrel,(shoot and polish) :-)
Is there anyone here who can recommend a good bullet for long range, 500+ and a load for it ?

Today, my rifle is accurate with the 155grs Hornady A-Max at 100meter, but might it be to light for long range shooting ?

I have ordered sierra 220grs because i have this idea that a heavy bullet is better at long distances. Is It ?

Anyone with some perspectives on this subject ?

All reply's are welcome

Posts: 64 | Location: Norway | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
210 JLK or Berger bullets are always mentioned when talking long range shooting and 300WM. I would think that 200 gr Sierra Matchkings would be good also.

I don't have personal experience shooting at those ranges; that's just what I've read. Hopefully, some of the long range guys will answer. (You might try looking around at the sniper forums or long range hunting forums also.)

Posts: 117 | Location: Tumwater, Washington | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
High BC, which generally are heavy, bullets are needed for the ranges your are contemplating. Those SMk 220s are good at 2600+ fps.

My advice is to try the 190 gr Sierra Match King with Alliant's RL22 powder. Max pressure should occur somewhere between 73.5 and 76.0 gr depending on barrel and chamber characteristics. Best accuracy should be near the max pressure load. Expect 2900 fps or better from a 24" barrel. If you are molying bore and bullets you might gain a few fps with your accuracy load.

Good Luck, and keep us all informed on the progress.

Rick

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's. I read that a heavy bullet with good BC/SD is preferrable at longer distances, and my 220grs SMK is not a bad choice.

I will be testing this bullet after easter and will post result's here.

Here is a picture of my rifle:

http://www.blinkskudd.net/Album/images/gun/m70.jpg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the rifle for hunting or target shooting?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, i intend to use it at both hunting and (mainly) target shooting, but my main hunting rifle is a 338wm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking Rifle Nor Hunter !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For hunting I don't suggest match bullets. There are plenty of hunting bullets today with good forms.

http://www.seahook.com/bestbullet.jpg

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

For hunting I don't suggest match bullets. There are plenty of hunting bullets today with good forms.

http://www.seahook.com/bestbullet.jpg

Yeah, i know that, it's against the law where i hunt to use other than ekspanding bullets on big game. My bullet for the 300wm is 180grs scirrocco, i even can try nosler bal.tip, but scirrocco is the preferred.
In 338wm i use A-Frame with good results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Nice looking Rifle Nor Hunter !!

Thanks. I didn't have enough on my budget to buy a McMillan A5, so i took a Hogue stock instead(150$).

one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
Try the 200 Sierra MK and the 200 Accubond. I use the MK for paper/hillside and the Accubond for meat. Both shoot VERY well with Reloader 22.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Try the 200 Sierra MK and the 200 Accubond. I use the MK for paper/hillside and the Accubond for meat. Both shoot VERY well with Reloader 22.

Gabe

Thanks for the reply

Today i have ordered accubond and ballistic tip in 180grs. I already have a order for 220 grs SMK. I just hope i can get good grouping with some of the nosler bullets to use in moosehunting.