Find
Notify
Tools

SNAFU but lucky
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Hopefully someone will gain by me confessing my lack of good sense.

Yesterday at the range I used some ammo in my .243 varmint rifle that some one had given me. [First mistake]The first two shots were touching The third one had a great primer but no powder. The bullet wasn't stuck in the barrel very far so I tried driving it out with a steel cleaning rod. [Second mistake]I think I cocked the bullet and jammed the peediddle out of it.
At home I tried to drive it out with a 3/16" hard wood rod.[mistake #3] The rod broke at the muzzle and was also jammed.I than screwed into the rod a long brass wood screw and pried the rod out.The next thing to try was driving a 3/16" diameter aluminum rod 12" long against the bullet with a steel rod.[mistake #4]The aliminum rod got swaged tight into the barrel and the end of the steel rod bent.

Years ago I had stuck bullets in barrels and I just blew them out.Now I had a stuck bullet and a stuck aluminum rod. I should have just blowen the bullet out to start with as I would have done when I was young and dumb.

The next thing was to prime a case ,load it with 11 gr. of 4759, and wad it with cotton to hold the powder in place. That having been done the muzzle was covered with wads of rags and tied in place.The rifle was loaded and put into a large cardboard box with the muzzle pointing to a tree stump. I pulled the 10ft lanyard attached to the trigger and killed the stump. I can't see any bore damage and hopefully next week it'll perform as always. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
How have you lived this long?

Have you procreated?

How much was that barrel worth?

Please wear a flashing red light on your hat when you're at the range so I can stay well clear.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
OK. Thank you for sharing that with me. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hah i ran into one of these about 7 years ago, only thing that made it worse was...

There was a charged case stuck in the chamber too. The genius could close the bolt, but decided to pound a 22cal cleaning rod into a 270, jammed the rod besides the bullet and into the rifling and then proceeeded to break the rod off inside the barrel....

Who said mandatory sterilization is a bad thing?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Roger, First off, REALLY GLAD to hear you knew the Bullet was in the Barrel and didn't shoot a live, full power, cartridge behind it.

Once upon a time, long, long ago(don't you just love that start to a story ) I went to do some Target Practice down by the river in Huntsville, Alabama. After a bit of shooting, up pulled a Police Cruiser. A young guy stepped out and said, "Mind if I join you?" We both shot awhile and began talking. A short time before, he had been at the same place and had a Colt come apart in his hands. He had been doing "Double Taps" and the cartridge just before the last shot(as if you couldn't figure that out) had no powder in it. He was in such a hurry to get that second shot off, he just kept Trigger Yanking and couldn't get the muscles to STOP in time! "JC's" in Huntsville, Alabama used to his "Topless" Colt in their display case.

By the way, if your rifle happens to "shoot better" on that next trip, all these guys will want very specific details so they can follow your method exactly.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I designed and built a .375 wild cat and the perfect powder for it seamed to be the new H110. The word hadn't gotten around yet so I tried a very light load in my 38 special.The first shot missed the target at 75ft.And so did the second one. A lot of flash bang ,no holes.There were two bullets in the barrel and no damage. As soon as those bullets left the cylinder the pressure must have dropped to zero and all the flash bang was the gas and powder escaping from the barrel cylinder gap.Now those bullets pushed out with no trouble. roger

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Don,

Maybe we can meet at the range in Vandalia Ohio some day. You can recognize me from the missing 1/2 thump and forfinger on the right hand. There is a check scar starting just under the eye and extending past what's left of my right ear. There is a black patch over my right eye and my bolt handles are on the left side of the rifles. I will be wareing a mended shooting jacket with Lucky written on the back. Buckeye Bartsche

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Bartsche, but I steer clear of crowds of shotgun- toting men. Must be a phobia from my younger days!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We all have our moments.Glad your O K .

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
took ten minutes for the chills to quit running down my spine...........all I can say is YIKES !!

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote