New
Find
Notify
Tools

First handloads in 9mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, I loaded my first 20 rounds and took them to the range... It was def. fun. My rounds were on the very weak side. I went by the book and loaded them with 124fmj's (remington) using cci 500 primers and 4.1 grains of Titegroup... I didn't seat the bullets very far in I had them set at 1.152 (Min 1.092 - max 1.169)... I shot them and compared them to some FIOCCHI's and it was like comparing a 380 and a 9mm. Do you guys have any sugestions? Tighter seating, More powder, Diferent powder? What do you guys use for 9mm...?..... thanks for your comments....... Tom

Posts: 31 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to match the hotter Fiocchi ammo, you need to move to a slightly slower powder. I like Unique in the 9mm, fills the case, give good accuracy & good vel. PowerPistol is another good choice. Nothing wrong w/ TG, but you will not reach highest vel. before you hit pressure problems. There are probably 15 powders suitable for the 9mm & 124gr bullets.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeDetail.asp...lid=1014&bulletid=21
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/9mmluger.php
http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/Accurate%203-1.pdf
http://www.ramshot.com/powders/

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Power Pistol and heavy bullets in 9mm seat out to 1.169" and a Lee Factory Crimp.

I like RP primed brass, and never bother to reload it.

In some 9mm barrels I increase the free bore and throat diameter so I can use .357" 158 gr XTP or .358" LSWC bullets.

With hot loads, you may want to increase the recoil spring from Wolff:
http://www.gunsprings.com/

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
As a new reloader, DO NOT USE bullets that are .357/.358" dia. THis will only get you in trouble. COme on tnekkcc, the guy is a new loader, he doesn't need info about pushing the envelope w/ certain handloading tricks or unsuitable componets.hammering

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys... All I am looking to do is load a round I like to shoot... It really didn't bother me too much that the loads were light. I actually had a little tighter groups with it... I was just curious what worked good for others.... Thanks again... Oh and don't worry.. I will keep the 357 for my 38special and 357 mag.....

Posts: 31 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 5.5grs of W231 and a 115gr Hornady HP/XTP bullet in all my 9mm's. This load performs very well. Seat the bullet to whatever the manual specifies for OAL.

I used Unique for a long time, but switched to W231 because it burns cleaner.

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris... I know I am going to change powders... I'll just use the rest of the Titegroup on 38 special loads....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bloodhound
As a new reloader I can appreciate what you are asking.
A 9mm load I have used for years should fill your needs for the time being.
The load uses Blue Dot powder. Blue Dot is very slow burning for the 9mm but there are two payoffs.

First it provides a very accurate, dependable, and safe high performance load for both 115gr and 124/125gr jacketed bullets.

The other is, since the powder will fill the case the bullet ‘sits’ on a cushion of powder preventing the bullet from slipping back in the case when the round is slammed on the ramp in the loading process. When this happens the bullet is seated deeper than it’s supposed to be thereby creating higher pressures. The faster the powder being used, the more critical this becomes.

This occurrence doesn’t happen all the time. A lot depends on components used but is can happen since reloaders ‘generally’ do not take any further precautions to preclude this.

Alliant Powder recommends 8.2 grains of Blue Dot with a 124gr FMJ bullet for the 9mm. This is consistent with most other reloading manuals as well.

Anyway hopes this helps a little. Have fun.

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use imr pb; bullet is the remington 115 grain hp bought in bulk so i can afford to shoot. also use pb in the 40 s&w.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Thanks for all the replies guys.. It actually surprises me.. I have asked questions on other forums and am still waiting on a reply.. I do have another question.. I am using the lee pro powder measure and it isnt as consistant as I have read. I set it at 4.2 (Titegroup)... Anywa, I am weighing every load on a Cabelas electric scale and they are coming out anywhere from 4.0 to 4.5gr ... Max for the Titegroup is 4.4 I have been letting 4.4 slide.. Would 4.5 be dangerous? I have not fired any of these rounds yet... Thanks for your help....