Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help im new with 220 swift ?s
 Login/Join

posted
i got a ruger km77 in 220 swift i used an O.A.L gauge in it today and got a reading of of 2.775and my book says c.o.l. of 2.680 what would b a way of gettin the best accurcy out of this .do i need to take to a gunsmith and if so what do u guys suggest ill b shootin a 52 gr Amax bullet and 36.5 gr. of IMR 4064 is this a good load for yotes and fox im lookin for long distance with high accurcy thanks to everyone in advance

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not worry about the OAL. As long as you can get the bullets into the magazine. Ruger seems to like long throats.
I have 3 Rugers in 220 Swift and all are like yours or longer. My No.1 is so long that I cannot get a 60 grain bullet neat the lands.
Even so the 220's are accurate enough for 300 yard woodchucks.

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
My 700 VSSF 2.790 makes it a 2 shot but that's ok. I have had the best accuracy 25 thou off the lands with the 52 amax win cases win primers and H-414. The very best load I have found though is same brass same primer with a 55 Grain BTip and H-4831 at 2.720 oal speed runs 3670 on average, groups under 1/2" when I am having a good day. It is more than flat shooting enough as far as I am able to shoot. If you want specifics on load data I have for the swift drop me a PM.

posted Hide Post
thanks guys and hipster ill send ya an e-mail when i got more time