Find
Notify
Tools

? How to get Moly out of a barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
TO ALL:

I am looking to go W/O Moly for my next loading for my varmint .243 Win.

Does anyone have a "Sure Fire" way to get Moly out of a barrel and be certain that it is clean W/O the use of a bore scope?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
According to the Hart rifle barrels webpage, they have not find a surefire way to do this, and thus do not reommend the use of moly-coated bullets. Just what I heard...

one of us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be to stay away from that stuff to begin with .

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Buy a new barrel...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are several ways to completely get moly out of a barrel. Boretech makes a product called Moly Magic that is very good and I use a brass brush with this and patches...You can also use a good solvent like Butch's Bore Shine with a brush and patches...More brush than patches...You can get about 90 to 95 % out this way...The one sure way to get it all out is shoot it out with non moly coated bullets..It won't hurt a thing to leave a little in barrel as you swith over to non Moly bullets and as you shoot, they will clean the rest out...

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 ways:
1. Wrap a patch around a bronze brush, coat the patch with JB Bore cleaner and give 10-20 passes. Take the jb patch off, clean the brush and wrap another patch around the brush. Soak the second patch with Kroil and give a few passes. Shine a flashlight at the muzzle end of the barrel if you see any copper or other fouling repeat. On the last jb patch substitute jb bore-brite for regular jb. Again use a flashlight shone in the muzzle a poor-man's 1 inch bore scope and keep going until spotless - usually pretty quick with this system (I read about it in a John Barsness article).
2. Use an Outers Foul-Out system.

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kroil will take it right out...

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As will Ballistol.

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote