Notify
Tools

New very slow powder from Alliant
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
From a press release:

New Powder for 50-Caliber Applications
In 2009 Alliant first announced Reloder 50, a new powder designed for long-range, 50-caliber rifle shooters. Though it still has not reached dealers’ shelves, the powder looks promising. According to Alliant, the burn rate is “a little slower than Winchester 860″ and the powder is showing excellent lot-to-lot consistency. Load density is optimized for the 50 BMG and similar cases. Like Reloder 17, Reloder 50 employs a process which penetrates the kernels with the burn-rate-controlling chemical. This should allow a longer, flatter pressure curve, allowing more velocity than conventional powders can deliver. Alliant says that Reloder 50 offers “superior velocity and the ability to burn cleaner (with less residue).”

Thus far, this new powder has not entered the distribution chain. 50 BMG shooters have been waiting a long time for this new propellant. However, Alliant tells us that it hopes to start shipping Reloder 50 before the end of the year (2010). Reloder 50 will be available in both 1-lb (#150527) and 8-lb (#150528) containers.

I'm not a .50 BMG shooter, but this powder should have potential in calibers like .264 Win, 7mm STW and Ultramag, and .30-378 WBY. Will be interested to see some data when it finally hits the market.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It might be a little slow for the .264, but it will be great in the 7mm STW and the Ultra Mags. I shoot alot of WC860 in my STW, so I too will be interested in seeing the data.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking it may be used in my 270 Allen Mag.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess the 1 lb can is just a sampler to figure out if you want to load more than a few rounds.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek ----- Thanks for the heads up, I shoot a lot of allient powders. Sounds like the new powder would be perfect for the .270 WSM's. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:

Stonecreek ----- Thanks for the heads up. I shoot a lot of Alliant powders. Sounds like the new powder would be perfect for the 270WSM. Good shooting.
Then I guess it would also work well in the 300WSM?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then I guess it would also work well in the 300WSM?

With an equal sized case, the one with the smaller caliber will require a slower powder. If it's just right for the .270 WSM, it would be too slow for the 300 WSM.

Personally I think with will be too slow for either of the WSM's. It should be better suited to the RUM's.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
shhhh... don't be so aesoteric as to mention slower powders may mean higher velocities ... you'll get some folks dander up telling them that slower burning powders change the repssure curve ....

ah, wait, who am i kidding? one just has to look at a reloading book to know this one!

btw, 50bmg powders may be too slow to work properly in a dinky little wsm ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39622 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Is this available yet? If so, has anyone here used it?

Posts: 36 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Grafs lists it as in stock.

In a 264wmag QL calls it basically gr for gr with H870. Both in the top 4 as to velocity potential.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote