New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet seating problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I first sized my brass with an RCBS carbide die then belled it with a Lyman M die. When I got the bullet seated it came out cock-eyed. You can see on the left side that the case is bulged more than the right side at the base of the bullet. Do any of you guys know what is cuasing this? The first thing I did was check the seating plug to make sure that there wasn't any lube on it, but it was clean. This is not new 45 Colt starline brass.

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
did it do this on all ones loaded? If your Lyman was belling it off, it can cause this. Looks as if you flaring the neck a tad too much. Only want to do it just enough to accept the bullet but not cut off the lead while seating.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean, how much did you file off? Could you post a picture?

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I filed it until is was almost totally flat. There is still a very slight ring. I didn't want to file the ridge totally off becuase I thought that I might file it not square. I will try to post a pic tomorrow.

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote