Find
Notify
Tools

300 win in a 300 wby
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted
This may not be the best place to ask this, but it is a good story.
The other day I went to look at one of my frineds rifles, he has a 300 weatherby, he was going to shoot it one day so he went to the farm supply and got some shells. When he got back he wasn't able to shoot for some reason. A few days later I went by to see him and got to looking, and he was going to shoot 300 win mag shells in the 300 wby. What would have happened? I don't think the results would have been to pretty.

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
It would have fired. The case would have formed to the chamber and the neck would have been real short if not missing. Velocity would have been low and accuracy a question. While I wouldn't do it on purpose it should not have been dangerous.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that did this and the results were just what Ramrod predicted. I also have a friend that said he put a 270 shell in his 30-06 this fall and accuracy wasn't so good. (I don't have my cartridge diagrams here but thought the shoulder was moved forward enough on a 270 so it couldn't be chambered in '06?)

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The 280 has the shoulder moved forward so you can't chamber in a 270. I believe the 25-06, 270, 30-06, 35W all use the same headspace guage.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once found a pile of 300 Wins. at the range that were fired in a WBY chamber. The shooter probebly did not even notice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a guy do this at the rifle range one day.

He had a brand new Weatherby Mark V, a beautifull rifle. He was shooting pretty dismal groups, if you could even call them groups.

I went over to talk to him and noticed that he was shooting 300 Winchester Magnum shells. I asked him what caliber the rifle was and he proudly pronounced that it was a 300 Weatherby Magnum! I asked him why the hell he was shooting 300 Winchester Magnum shells in it and he said tha the Weatherby ammunition cost to much!!!

Those 300 Win Mag shells looked pretty weird after being fired in a Weatherby chamber. It was safe enough, the shell headspacing on the belt and all, but accuracy was pretty poor.

All that money for a Weatherby rifle, but he could not afford the correct ammo? Go figure.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just like fireforming cases for anything

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted Hide Post
I was just pondering on a thought. You all say that the velocity and accuracy that is lost by shooting a win mag in a wby mag is horriable. But hat if you seated a 200 gr bullet out long enough to get close to the lands, I wonder how that would work?

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will not get any where near the lands loading 200 grain bullets in a 300 Win Mag case if you stick it in a Weatherby chamber.

In the first place, all Weatherby's and just damned near any other brand that chambers for the Weatherby cartridges are freebored! By design, they have a jump from the case to the rifling so that more powder may be used without undue pressures.

Even if you have a custom Weatherby chamber, the Winchester case is much shorter, you will never approach the lands using the Win case.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
My brother did the 300wby/300win thing too. I have several of the cases and yes the neck is very short. I chewed his butt for not paying more attention. He sold the rifle said it kicked too much!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
seen this with 300 sav in 308.. i have probably 10 of them left in my range box...

tiny necks... and never "safe" ..
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39556 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote