New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 X 45
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am currently looking in to buying a 6 x 45.
Can i use the 55 gr (6mm) Sierra bullets , & also 100 & 105 gr in the same rifle twist with accuracy ? I am planning on using it to hunt varmints out to 300m , & impala out to 150 m ( don't get shots further that in close bushveld arround here), what would velocities would i get with 55 grainers?

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rudi,

We don't see the 6x45mm much in the UK. I'm just wondering what velocities it delivers, and why you would choose it over the .243??
Just curious...

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good question Pete , I was just weighing up my options and looking for some advice regarding the 6 x 45 as this is also a rather new calibre that seems to catch on quite a bit round here .

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The main advantages of the 6x45 over the .243 are a smaller and lighter action, you can reduce barrel length without losing alot of velocity, and the 6x45 has a much longer barrel life than the .243.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<J Snyman>
posted
Rudi

Try to get hold of the Nov 99 issue of Man Magnum magazine. They had an article by Gregor Woods in it about this calibre. I had one built and am very impressed with it.

Mine was built with a 1 in 10 twist Vektor sport profile barrel on a Zastava Mini-Mauser action.

Accuracy is outstanding and recoil almost non existant.

The lightest bullets I have tried is Speer 75gr HP's and max velocity attained was almost 2800f/sec. I load 23gr S321 for 2600 f/sec. There is a marked difference in trajectories between the 75gr and 100gr bullets I normally use. I am now trying out the 87 grainers to see if I can get the trajectories closer to one another.

I use PMP (CW headstamp) cases. Because PMP uses thicker brass, case volume is less than some other makes and you can't get as much powder into the case. You can use converted 223 cases, with thinner case walls, but tend to pick up problems at border crossings when your firearm license shows 6x45 but your cartridges are headstamped 223. You are welcome to try to explain the matter to them.

You are welcome to contact me directly about this matter at johans@bolanddm.co.za. I am leaving for Namibia today but will be back on Thursday 25 April.

Johan

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
the 6x45 is a honey of a cartridge. Almost nil recoil, easy to load and deadly accurate.
I used a 243 for a number of years for culling and small game, and have used a buddies 6x45 recently for duiker and reedbuck. I do almost all his reloading so I am familiar with the cartridge.
It is a Truvello barrelled mini Zastava mauser action.
I was so impressed that I ordered one for my 10 year old son, naturally with a spare adult size stock (for when he gets older)

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Rudie

I shoot a 6X45mm/20 gauge Savage 24V ( rebored ). It has a 1:9.5 twist and I normally shoot 85 grain Noslers Partition Bullets. By the book, 55 grain loads should be about like .223 55 grain loads, e.g., same weight, similar powder charge, more cross-sectional area ( more force for same pressure ). There are loads in the Hornaday book.

Tom

Posts: 14617 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote