Find
Notify
Tools

WC860 Powder???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted
Check out the prices on this stuff http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.htm

Does anybody have any experience with it - what's it similar too, etc.. At those prices, there's got to be something I can use it in.

R-WEST

------------------
"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<rg1>
posted
Originally used to load 50 bmg ball and api ammo by the military. Info says that it's similiar to Hodgdon H870. It's a pulldown powder dumped from military surplus ammo. Info I've seen says to always start with a reduced load and work up to a safe pressure and velocity. Also there is a possibility that different lots of this powder are faster or slower and you should start with a reduced load and work up whenever switching lots of powder. gibrass.com also sells this powder. I've read that some reloaders use this in large magnum caliber rifles such as the 300 magnums. It's a good powder for reloading 50 caliber bmg.

<RobertJ>
posted
I have tried wc860 in a few things 25/06, 6.5 X 55 and 300RUM. Got good accuracy in all but slow velocity. I know some guys that use it in their 338/416 Rigby with long barrels they get excellent results
I also use WC820 from the same supplier with superb results in 357mag it is now my powder of choice for that cal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The lots of WC 860 that I've tried are much slower than 5010 or H 870, perhaps by 15% or so. WC 860 is very similar in speed to WC 872. I have had excellent results in .264 Winchester and 7mm STW with 872, and to a bit lesser extent, with 860. Ignition is good, even with standard force primers.

These powders would be useful in such large capacity cases as 7mm RUM, .300 RUM, .30-378, .257 STW, etc., with heavy-for-caliber bullets. They are too slow for .300 Winchester and the like.

Heed caution: Surplus powders do vary from lot to lot; work up carefully.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote