New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloader 25
 Login/Join

<Eric J>
posted
Has anyone used Reloader 25 for 7mm Rem Mag, if so, can you give me some ideas for a starting load? I'm thinking about 2 grains higher than Reloader 22, given the same bullet weight. How about for .25-06. I've had very good luck with Reloader 22 in both calibers.

Eric

<Mitch>
posted
Eric, according to Alliant, you can use what would be a Max. load of RL 22 as a starting point with RL 25 and slowly work your way up 5 to 6 grains if pressures allow.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
From what I've gathered RE 25 can be interesting to work with. Some people treat it like it's H1000 BUT--I would recomend starting 1 grain more than I7828 and working up with a chronograph. There was a post a while back where a guy worked up some in a 25-06 and I think he stopped about a grain or 2 over his favorite 7828 load cause he was already about 100 fps faster without pressure signs.

<Guy>
posted
Eric,
Alliant gave me the same advise as Mitch is stating. Use Alliant's published max loads for Reloader 22 as a starting point with Reloader 25 with the same bullet weight and work up from there.
FYI - in my 338 RUM both RL25 and H1000 performed identical regarding powder charge weight and velocity attained while giving similar pressure. But that is the only rifle that I have used both powders in. You might cross reference the Hodgdon website and see what they recommend for H1000 and the bullet(s) you're using. This information can help establish a narrower "comfort window" on powder charge weights.

<Eric J>
posted
Thanks guys. It's nice to have some input from other "informed enthusiasts" from time to time. I've been doing some pondering this past week and got to wondering about going with a slower burning powder in the .25-06. I'm getting some interesting results with Reloader 22. Reloader 25 should give better load density (better accuracy, maybe).

Eric

<Harald>
posted
Eric, I loaded with RL-25 in my 7 mm Rem Mag recently with 150 gr Swift Scirocco and 160 gr North Fork bullets. I got about 3175+ fps with the Swifts and 3060 fps with the North Forks without any evidence of excessive pressure. I had been using RL-22 as my favorite powder in the .340 Wby but now I may make RL-25 my standard for all overbore cases.