New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Bags?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What brand shooting bags do you guys use? We have lost our shooting range with benches etc and I am forced to put together a jerry rig bench rest for load development. I am looking at Uncle Bud's Bull bag, but there may be much better things out there. I have a relatively inexpensive bench rest but the bags are small and do not stabilize well. If I remember Ray got one that was to minimize the recoil also. If I remember correctly it was a pretty expensive rig. What do you guys use and what is the best? Thanks "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the old Levi pant leg Zip-tie rest most of the time.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<ultramag>
posted
My wife makes me sand bags out of pillow ticking. They function well and wear like iron.

------------------
May your chambers be true to your bores.

<Ricochet>
posted
I use the Levi legs myself. Since they support gun control, why not use them for that!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a bag made from the leather they use to make carpeters nail bags from. I have it filled with buck wheat which gives the same feel as sand but has a lot less weight, it never leaves the back of the ute on our shooting trips.

Regards PC

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted Hide Post
I have a Uncle Bucks bag, they are a little pricey,but I really like mine, a buddy of mine bought one too. They are also good to hold your rifle while cleaning or scope work. BA

------------------
Razorbacker

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a levi leg man myself. If you'll put your sand in a plastic bag before you put it in the pants leg, you won't have that fine dust migrating thru the fabric.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my pants legs at the taylor now. Thanks "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get the cloth change bags that banks use. I have a friend that has a restaurant and he gives these things away 'cause the money guys don't want them back. Zip tie the top, and use a coarse filler. They don't let much dust out at all. Free but heavy.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old shot bags filled with washed sand.

DWM

Posts: 109 | Location: Colleyville,TX | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Oscar>
posted
I use a bipod on the front and old socks filled with sand on the back. I first line the socks with the little plastic bags from Walmart to stop the sand from coming through. Works for me and I always seem to have some socks that need getting rid of. Oscar

<KTS>
posted
I thought I was the only one that used pant legs :O)

Just got thru making some, fill mine with catlitter, stuff I found made out of recycled paper (unused) works great, makes a nice wide solid rest for putting the ol' contender across

However these I'll pack with me as the last ones I left at our range for others to use disappeared :O(
wes

<pigman>
posted
duplicate

[This message has been edited by pigman (edited 02-03-2002).]

<pigman>
posted
Mine are made from shot bags filled with cat liter sewed up with 10 pound test fishing line. They work great and they are not very heavy.

<JessMan>
posted
doggonegood shooting bags is the brand name
made by a couple in Montana.
Awsome quality,try a web search on the name. Different sizes to choose from.Works really good for me.