New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronoghaph Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Now that I have parted with my Ohler 35p, the need for one of the new, simple, small, and inexpensive bench top seems appropriate. :-)

Any recommendations or 'don't buy this one' advice?

Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1058 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted Hide Post
Garmin Xero just dropped today. Price $599.99 Just ordered mine. In stock and shipping this morning from Midway. Says it will be here 10-26.Small easy setup. Been getting good reviews from beta models.

Safe shooting
Doug

List of features from Midway:

Measures medium-and high-velocity projectiles from 100 fps to 5,000 fps for bullets, arrows, bolts, slugs, birdshot, paintballs and airsoft BBs
Easy to set up and simple to use; turn it on, point it in the right direction, and shoot within roughly 15" of the device
Compact design is easy to transport since it fits in your back pocket
Features an easy-to-read, backlit display
Button-operated design is simple to use
Up to 6 hours of battery life give you plenty of time at the range
Pair with your smartphone, and use the ShotView app to record results and keep track of your data: compare velocity for every shot

Dimensions

Without Tripod: 3.03"W x 2.38"H x 1.36"D, weighs 3.72 ounces

With Tripod: 5.1"W x 4.5"H x 5.5"D, weights 5.68 ounces

Link:
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...026417171?pid=973474

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better.

Posts: 2546 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Curious.....as to why you sold your 35P?

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
lab radar - it's easy ---
I just looked up the zero - interesting

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went through three Chrony's and have used the Oehler 35-P for fifteen years now but this looks very interesting. Only thing missing is the printer but the ease of use might make me forget that, can always create my own tape for each target. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
That Garmin Xero looks awesome. I haven't used my Shooting Chrony Beta in years because it's a pain and finicky. May have to look into this one.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevin, The 35p was, and in my opinion still is, a great chrono. Too big and clumsy to set up for an old man with limited needs. Too little usage for me and glad to see someone get it, use it, and enjoy what it is. Besides, I think the guy I sold it to was really looking for spare parts. rotflmo

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1058 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what you describe fit my same needs. I settled on a prochrony some years ago and its suited me toa T.. and at a cost of $129.00 not sure of today's price but it won't break the bank Im sure.

Beware of the little red box chronograph, its a royal in the kazoo..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Garmin Xero really looks good. There are several reviews of it on 'Tube. I have had Lab Radar for quite a while and like it but it can be a bit 'quirky' with the .22lr and low power pistol loads. Garmin will give them a serious run for the money.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted Hide Post
UPS truck just left. Thought I would let everybody see what is included. Have a tape measure in the photos for scale. Hope to get to try it out soon.

Safe shooting
Doug

Posts: 2546 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted Hide Post
Right now I have it charging. The setup I am using is a part of my Craftsman 20 Volt power tools. I have Several batteries and bought the top piece to be able charge my cell phone during power outage. USB Adapter cost $29.00 Don't anticipate any battery issues but this is portable and can easily go to the bench. Will show more when I get to try it out.

Safe Shooting

Doug

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Finally got a chronograph about three years ago, a Prochrono DLX, and at $A200 I wish I'd found one years before.

Every now and then it gives a weirdly high reading, not reflected in the fired case, but generally it seems good.

I recall the first 22LR round I tested with it showed the velocity printed on the ammo box to the precise fps - a fluke I guess because it's never happened since.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I still have my old chrony, but I switched to the magnetospeed. It is considerably more accurate and a great value. I wont be going back to the chrony.

Magnetospeed compares very well with much more expensive gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SpjRnYncpo

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trouble with the Magnetospeed is you can't use it when you are testing loads for accuracy.
I've had mine for a while and on some rifles the rifle shoots the same. On other rifles it shoots better and some it shoot worse. You never know as far as accuracy is concerned.
On heavy kicking rifles with no front sight, I have had to run a string from the trigger guard to the Magneto so the thing didn't slip off the barrel.

Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Trouble with the Magnetospeed is you can't use it when you are testing loads for accuracy.
I've had mine for a while and on some rifles the rifle shoots the same. On other rifles it shoots better and some it shoot worse. You never know as far as accuracy is concerned.
On heavy kicking rifles with no front sight, I have had to run a string from the trigger guard to the Magneto so the thing didn't slip off the barrel.

Hip

Yes they do have the potential to throw off barrel harmonics and have a few quirks. The way I work up my loads it works fine though. I begin by testing for pressure and velocities with various powders and charges, then off comes the chronograph and I test for accuracy within what I consider an acceptable velocity/pressure window. It helps narrow things down rather quickly. My favorite "node" is the one that lives at a given rounds peak efficiency.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tred1956
posted Hide Post
Yes, it will handle 4000 plus FPS and 20 caliber bullets are a breeze. Disregard the DEV/AVG numbers pictured, as we shot several different Contenders and rifles. What a joy to set up and use. Worked Flawless.
Safe shooting
Doug

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm dark on Garmin. I bought one of their GPS plus the Aust/NZ map ($200) years ago; after the GPS was lost with my pack in NZ, I asked if I could buy another and use the map CD again. They refused to devulge the code, so I won't willingly buy their products again.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just put one on backorder at Midsouth. Will give it a try and if it works like advertised it will probably replace the 35-P. Good Shooting.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Garmin looks handy to me and has nice, compact sizing
I also backordered one here in New Zealand. Apparently 3 to 5 weeks to wait.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Bulletseeker is similar in concept.
No idea on cost.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Connan:
I think the Bulletseeker is similar in concept.
No idea on cost.

Anything that actually attaches to the rifle is useless.

One cannot check accuracy when it is attached.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Firstly, I don't agree. If it attaches directly to the barrel, there is certainly a risk (although I have noticed that my Magnetospeed doesn't make any noticeable difference to my .308 in terms of group size, but it does make a difference to zero), but if it attaches to the fore-end it shouldn't affect accuracy. I also couldn't really see a difference to grouping on my .310 Cadet, and haven't yet used it on any of my other rifles.

But I have seen people use the Bullet-seeker without attaching it to the rifle. It then just has the same aiming issues as the Labradar.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
A friend brought his Labradar here yesterday.

We tried it in my tunnel.

Didn’t work.

Gave vastly reduced readings.

We tried a 308 Winchester.

Readings we got were something like 156 fps, 185 gps etc.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I makes sense to me that Doppler radars won't work very well in tunnels...

They do work in multi-lane indoor ranges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
A friend brought his Labradar here yesterday.

We tried it in my tunnel.

Didn’t work.

Gave vastly reduced readings.

We tried a 308 Winchester.

Readings we got were something like 156 fps, 185 gps etc.

Get some proper ammo and try it Saeed.
Not that stuff you used to load for Walter Big Grin ( RIP )

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I received my back ordered Garmin Zero Chronograph from Mid South and shot with it today. I charged it up as instructed and I must say everything went easy. My first session with my 6.5 PRC and .270 WSM could not have gone better. Set up is simple, you just turn it on and point it toward the target beside your rifle and go through the steps to shot your first session and fire away. It records each shot then gives you a summary of the session which is average speed of your shot string and the standard deviation. You then reset it to the other rifle and shot away. I could not have ever dreamed using a chronograph could be so easy for this non-techy guy. I wore out three models of Chronys and still have my Oehler 35-P I have used several years. Nothing was as easy to set up and use as this Garmin and anyone that shots a lot will think they have gone to shooters heavan. Only thing missing is the printer of the Oehler but I can make my own tape to staple to each target. Just my experience with a piece of equipment that was as good as advertised. Good shooting.

phurley

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Been playing with the Garmin the last 2 weeks. Easiest to use by far. I have or had a couple 35P's a magnetospeed, Lab Radar, chronys, etc. Game over for everything else. Can't imagine Lab Radar will still be around in year unless they cut their price in half.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
I received my back ordered Garmin Zero Chronograph from Mid South and shot with it today. I charged it up as instructed and I must say everything went easy. My first session with my 6.5 PRC and .270 WSM could not have gone better. Set up is simple, you just turn it on and point it toward the target beside your rifle and go through the steps to shot your first session and fire away. It records each shot then gives you a summary of the session which is average speed of your shot string and the standard deviation. You then reset it to the other rifle and shot away. I could not have ever dreamed using a chronograph could be so easy for this non-techy guy. I wore out three models of Chronys and still have my Oehler 35-P I have used several years. Nothing was as easy to set up and use as this Garmin and anyone that shots a lot will think they have gone to shooters heavan. Only thing missing is the printer of the Oehler but I can make my own tape to staple to each target. Just my experience with a piece of equipment that was as good as advertised. Good shooting.

Sounds good that you are onto something with the Garmin but how do you "wear out" three chronys? Eeker

My original 1st generation green Chrony with the cardboard sighting screens has been in use since first on the market, possibly 50 years old now, and is still going strong. Has been used for rifle, pistol and shotgun (with shot) chronographing. Replaced the cardboard sighting screens which got a bit shot up with pistol use but other than battery changes, the chrony is still working perfectly. Other than damaging them I can't see how you could wear one out Smiler

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eagle27 Broken diffusers were the reason my first three models of chronys failed. Many uses and the plastic gave away. I then got a Oehler 35-P and have enjoyed it many years and still can. When I got the Garmin and used it once I saw with it's ease of setup on the table beside the rifle my dreams had come true. Us it recharge it use it again with confidence in the readings the same as the Oehler. If the weather changes while I am shooting just pick it up along with the rifle and the break down is simple and quick. Good Shooting.

phurley

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
eagle27 Broken diffusers were the reason my first three models of chronys failed. Many uses and the plastic gave away. I then got a Oehler 35-P and have enjoyed it many years and still can. When I got the Garmin and used it once I saw with it's ease of setup on the table beside the rifle my dreams had come true. Us it recharge it use it again with confidence in the readings the same as the Oehler. If the weather changes while I am shooting just pick it up along with the rifle and the break down is simple and quick. Good Shooting.

You were lucky you got diffusers with your Chrony's, obviously the models with the V wire sighting screens. Mine didn't come with diffusers even though the instructions mentioned they may have to be made and used. I just made them out of a white icecream tub lid as per below.
I don't do much chronographing now so couldn't justify a new one but definitely like the look and handiness of the Garmin. Hope you get good use out of yours.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
eagle27 Broken diffusers were the reason my first three models of chronys failed.

must be nice -- i shot my first 2, and a buddy shot the third one

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
eagle27 Broken diffusers were the reason my first three models of chronys failed.

must be nice -- i shot my first 2, and a buddy shot the third one

Must be a real bitch having rifles that don't group too good at 12ft rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lol yuck

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nope.. it was all me... young, dumb, and eager

uhmm, you know, it might not have just chronos ..... theres lots of past in my past

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I got the first Chrony I used it on 90% of my shots. Shooting for a pastle of grandsons and their buddies as well as my Elk and Deer hunting crews. Putting perhaps 2,000 rounds across it per year. Just nicked the metal on the bottom near the first eye with a bullet. That taught me to only use the chrony myself and not let a gun shy buddy who jerked the trigger do the shooting. All those years of shooting over the Chrony and repeated use of the diffusers made them brittle and they broke and I got another cheap Chrony. Then got a chance for the first Oehler 35-P and still had to worry about shooting through the diffusers. Not with the Garmin all that is past history and set up is quick, break down is quick and accuracy is still there. This Shooter has now found the perfect rig to perfect loads. Just my .02 cents worth. Good shooting.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a crony the one with the cardboard. Lent it to a friend, not knowing that he was going to shoot his AR15 with the 3+ inch front sight height. Well he shoat the POOP outa the cardboard and I had to cut and paste a new one.
Always had to shoot a wake up shot to get the circuitry working properly or would always would get a false reading.

Hip

Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After more shooting sessions I am extremely pleased with the ease of use and set up with the Garmin Zero chronograph. No diffusers to set up and worry about hitting, and a charge done at home will cover any length shooting session. I sometimes would not use the chronograph if I was in a hurry or the weather threatened, now it is so easy to use I always shoot with it and feel I have a complete session that gives me all I need to know about a new load or one used many times. Just saying the money spent was well spent for this reloader. Good shooting.

phurley

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Had my new Garmin Xero C1 out to the range today. What a game changer. I started with an Oehler years ago. It was such a pain in the ass to set up I abandoned it in favor of a cheap Chrony. Still the Chrony was a pain to set up and line up but I could never warm up to the LabRadar. When I saw the Garmin I was sold. The unit is a breeze to use, never misses a shot, packs away in your range bag, connects to your phone. Wonderful product. There were several guys at the range that were former LabRadar users who were lamenting how the Garmin unit has flooded the market with LabRadars and killed the resale price.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Had my new Garmin Xero C1 out to the range today. What a game changer. I started with an Oehler years ago. It was such a pain in the ass to set up I abandoned it in favor of a cheap Chrony. Still the Chrony was a pain to set up and line up but I could never warm up to the LabRadar. When I saw the Garmin I was sold. The unit is a breeze to use, never misses a shot, packs away in your range bag, connects to your phone. Wonderful product. There were several guys at the range that were former LabRadar users who were lamenting how the Garmin unit has flooded the market with LabRadars and killed the resale price.

Very much the same situation here. The Garmnins have really caught on, very rapidly. Glowing reports left, right and centre. And now, many used Lab Radars appearing for sale. I think it might already have reached the point where nobody wants a Lab Radar as some units for sale have been just sitting for a while now. Looks like Garmin for the win.
I have used my own recently acquired Garmin several times now and it is living up to the hype.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I been following threads on the new Garmin Chrono for about the last month or so. This Garmin is an instant game changer and overnight has basically rendered every chrono with screens obsolete.
Sure, the screen models may still work but who in the hell would want to go thru the hassle to set them up and shoot thru them?
Life is to short. Ordered one today.
Looks like my old chrono will end up in the trash can.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote