THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Anyone else tired of reading Rick Jamison articles
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else tired of reading Rick Jamison articles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too quit reading Jamison back in the '70s when he wrote a review of the then-new Thompson Center .50 Hawken, and used .300 Win. Mag. ballistics as a frame of reference. I readily admit my prejudice, but it seems to me that Jamison has no background in science, specifically an understanding of experimental control. He seems to just throw a bunch of variables together, then jump to conclusions. To be halfway fair, he probably isn't the only "expert" who does this. I admit that I just don't like him.

Posts: 33 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core I let my subscription to Handloader lapse too. It gets pretty expensive to get it sent to Oz & its pot luck which calibres are reviewed. Plus it gets pretty intense (boring). I am a hunter who handloads and not the other way around.

Barness does not say all case prep is a waste of time. But most are. eg sorting cases by weight, uniforming primer pockets, deburring flashholes. A proviso here though is that we are discussing hunting rifle accuracy & not benchrest. His testing shows that the 2 main factors are concentric case neck and suggests how to size cases to do this plus concentric bullets.

Still I think I read too much & what a simpler world if my hunting rifle only had to hit the mark rather than group less the 1/2 inch at 100m - cause someone else could by doing X, Y & Z.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...I am a hunter who handloads and not the other way around.
Barness does not say all case prep is a waste of time. But most are. eg sorting cases by weight, uniforming primer pockets, deburring flashholes. A proviso here though is that we are discussing hunting rifle accuracy & not benchrest.
His testing shows that the 2 main factors are concentric case neck and suggests how to size cases to do this plus concentric bullets.
Still I think I read too much & what a simpler world if my hunting rifle only had to hit the mark rather than group less the 1/2 inch at 100m - cause someone else could by doing X, Y & Z. ...

Hey JohnT, I'm in agreement on being primarily a Hunter. Reloading is simply a means to accomplish that task with confidence in the shot.

Yes, I do remember him mentioning "weight sorting" is a waste of time. I attribute that to his limited experience with the number of cases he has used during his reloading. I've found cases with some rather wide extremes that would have affected my "confidence" in the Final Load if I'd used them.

I just made a quick check through my Prepped Cases and don't see a real good example right now of how wide an extreme I've seen. In fact, if I quoted those figures, it would "support" Barsness contention that weight sorting is a waste of time. (Obviously not a good way to convince anyone I'm right about this. HA)

Concerning his "Concentric Neck" issue, I'd suspect that is because he "Neck Sizes" the vast majority of his cases. One of the older reloaders who frequents this site and I email a good bit about this subject. He is a firm believer in Neck Sizing and is always concerned about "concentricity". I use Partial-Full Length Resizing so the case is held in compression between the Bolt-face and Chamber-shoulder, and I never give concentricity a second thought. When my concentration is up, I have rifles and select Loads that will place 3-shots into the 4s(very rarely the 3s) but average for the most part in the 6s. He can do as well with his rifles/Loads, but it seems he has to put a good bit more effort into all the "concentricity measuring and re-necking".

So, if a person is Neck Sizing, I tend to agree that "Concentricity" can REALLY affect their Loads.

I struggle with your last thought - ALL THE TIME! No doubt at all I agree with you that it takes far less accuracy to cleanly kill the Game I Hunt, at the distances I take shots, than what my rifles/loads are capable of. At some point, there is definitely a cross-over point where that level of accuracy only provides extreme confidence in the shot capability. Basically, "I know" it will cleanly kill in comparison to "I think" it will kill. And that is why I do all the Case Prep - to build that confidence in my rifles/loads and shooting ability.

Anyway, good talking to you. Best of luck with your "Hunting".

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
what bothers me is that except for Rifle Magazine none of the other gun magazines really do many articles on Custom Guns and custom Gunmakers anymore, which is why I dropped my subscrition to every single one of them!

Blue

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I guess I already have burned some of the magazines and writers in a previous post. The reason is very simple, most magazines is a pile of shit. I disslike some of the writer very much, their article is gossip and SWAG. Better not mention names here or I will be really in trouble

What really annoys me is that Ross Seyfried is not writeing a book or two. I hope he gets the message and starts typeing

I read Hatari Times and doublegun journal. I spend much more on classic hunting books

Cheers
/ JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
GEE! Does this mean Rick gets buried without any of you attending his memorial service? roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Irv,

We all have alot of room for improvement,

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

Agree with your comments, sorry for the 308 crack comparing it to blackpowder.

As a long range shooter myself, I know full well the ability of the short little 308 and it is very impressive at impressive ranges. Simply exaggerated to make a point, please accept my apology for any offending I did. THe 308 is an extremely accurate and useful round.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnT,

I just feel Barsness is a better fictonal writer then non ficton. His article about the B-29 was funny reading but unfortunately, I feel alot of his loading theory is a bit flawed.

Well I do not feel this, it has been proven so.

Good Shooting!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jubilado,

I agree with you.

Another example of Jamisons flawed comparisions was in an article he wrote about the four top varmint rounds on the market.

I believe he listed them as the 17 Rem, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem and the 220 Swift.

The article was full of flawed comparisions but the most glaring was when he stated the the 220 Swift was head and shoulders above the 22-250 in performance at long range and then listed the specs of each round.

I believe he compared the 50 gr Speer Semi-point SP in the 22-250 at 3600 fps and the 55 gr Ballistic Tip in the Swift at 3700 fps.

At long range he said the 220 had a major advantage in velocity and energy, my heavens could it be that it had mroe to do with the bullets being compared then with the rounds which fired them.

Load the same bullet in both rounds and the 220 will give 75-100 fps more velocity at the muzzle. For every 100 yards that advantage is trimmed conciderably.

APPLES TO APPLES!!

Good Shooting!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, Jamison's #'s are bull. I do enjoy some of Boddingtons articles and plan on reading some of his books. He has been to Africa many times and has probably hunted everything there is to hunt. His writing is based on experience and he puts it on paper well. He has had a admirable career in the military also and I would'nt mind reading about that too.
Go to the remington sight and look at the comparisons they make with the 300rum and some others. They are not good comparisons either.

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...As a long range shooter myself, I know full well the ability of the short little 308 and it is very impressive at impressive ranges. Simply exaggerated to make a point, ...

Hey 50, No need at all for an apology, Feel free to go back and "Edit it out". I knew you were aware of the capabilities the 308Win has. Just "yanking your chain" as we say down here.

I'd no sooner be without a 308Win than I'd vote for a Democrat - never happen!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...I believe he compared the 50 gr Speer Semi-point SP in the 22-250 at 3600 fps and the 55 gr Ballistic Tip in the Swift at 3700 fps....

Hey 50, I didn't see that article, but it does seem to fit Ole 300Mag. He did similar "comparisons(???)" back years ago too.

Kind of makes you wonder just how dumb he thinks his readers are?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My problem with Jamison is one of ethics. ...Jamison exhorts his readers that if they want an action accurized with this procedure [i.e., to this high level of precision], they should really send their work to this fine Oregon Gunsmithing business .... And guess who owns this ...gunsmithing business that Jamison raves about in the article---and tells us all to hire for our accurizing needs!? You guessed it: Rick Jamison!! [I found this out by calling the business on the phone. Jamison never returned my call.] ...What the whole thing conveyed to me is that Jamison has incredible contempt for his readers and is out to make a buck anyway he possibly can...

Hey Jordan, Congratulations on some fine detective work and follow-up. Absolutely PITIFUL!

I'd be glad to share my thoughts on it, but you said it so well, I'll just agree with your contempt.

posted Hide Post
I think that most of the major gun magazines must be taken with a large grain of salt, although Jamison does appear to be a one of the more "inventive" writers within the shooting mag industry. I'd have to say that Shooting Times is still better than Guns & Ammo. The latter has really gone down hill the past year or two. They changed the style and layout of the magazine and the colors are just terrible. Anyone notice we're getting lots of bigger illustrations and pics and other page fillers and a lot less text? I let my subscription lapse two years ago.

I used to subscribe to about 8-9 shooting/hunting magazines a few years ago, but now I usually just buy selected issues from my local corner store. Wal-Mart, here in Newfoundland, Canada, doesn't carry hunting/shooting magazines anymore and they stopped selling guns about five years ago. Chapters/Coles/Smithbooks (our version of Barnes & Noble) also pulled all hunting/shooting related magazines off their shelves about a year or year and a half ago. I no longer patronize those stores. Instead, I support my independent corner store. Sure, I pay more, but it is a small price to pay for true customer service. They'll order in anything I ask and they deserve my loyalty in return. Unfortunately, it seems many of the big chains and similarly, many of the big publishing houses seem to ignore this concept.

Craig Boddington has him moments. Like any of us, he has his biases and he is generally upfront about them, so I can't slam him for that. Probably the three writers I respect the most these days are Mike Venturino, Bryce Towsley and Jerry Ahern. I cast my own bullets and I like tinkering and Mike seems to share many of my own interests. Bryce seems to make an effort to write balanced, informative articles, and I can't recall an article where he has "sold-out" as yet. Lastly, I enjoy Jerry Ahern's work, although he doesn't write that much, but I can usually take something useful from his work when he does.

Speaking in generalities, however, In addition to writers like Jamison, another big turn off has been the changing content of the mags. Seems like every mag is covering the same story at the exact same time. Anyone get sick to death reading about the .17 HMR??? I know I did. Then there is the articles that have absolutely no tie in with guns/shooting/hunting at all, for example, I remember reading Guns & Ammo a few months back and seeing a three page article on the latest 4X4 pick-up, then I saw the same article in three or four other shooting publications published by the same company. Why should I pay for the same article 4-5 times?

Thanks but no thanks! If they're not careful, one day they're going to wake up and find that they no longer have a customer base. Jamison and even Barnsness should take warning. Credibility is a finite thing.

Posts: 18 | Location: Newfoundland, Canada | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sidewinder,

I agree with your comments about Remington, Everyone spins their products however they can to make them look better then the nexk closest thing.

As far as Reminton goes, I found it really ammusing that they used to list the 7mm Rem Mag close to 3300 fps with the 140 gr bullet when it was the biggest 7mm on the factory block along with the 7mm WBY, which is its twin).

Then when they released thge 7mm STW they listed it at 3400 fps with the 140 gr core-lokt bullet and the 7mm Rem Mag amazingly dropped to 3200 fps.

Now with the release of the 7mm RUM, which they list at 3425 fps with the same 140 gr bullet. They have dropped the 7mm STW to 3325 fps.

Seems they need to lower the performance of the older rounds to make the new ones look better then they are.

So to cut to the chase, the old remington 7mm Rem Mag used to be listed within 125 fps of the monster 7mm RUM but now it is not much faster then the 280 Rem.

And the STW which can easily be loaded up to 3450 fps with a 140 gr bullet in a 26" barrel is only able to get a bit over 3300 fps now, I guess age slows us all down.

TO be honest, theres about 50 fps difference between the 7mm STW and 7mm RUM in conventional barrels of 26", that is with a 140 gr bullet which is far to light in my mind.

Use the proper bullet, 160 and even better a 175 gr pill, and the big case begins to run better. Also, add 2 inches of barrel with the heavy bullets and the RUM really starts to look good.

Point is, it frustrates me to no end, its not that Jamison blasted the big magnums in this article, it that he praised then in his previous ones, and then blasted and then praised them and so on and so on.

Unfortunately, honest comparisons are only to be found in areas such as this with good people trying to get the best performance from their favorite round. Its to bad the people with the best sources of information, the manufactures only spin the facts to make something look better or worse then it really is.

Good Shooting!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

Shooters and hunters as a groups are perhaps the most detail minded group of people I have delt with, especially since I started smithing. If they put up hard earned money for a product, they want the best they can get.

It never fails to impress me how a customer will come into the shop wanting to order or have a rifle built in the latest number because they read about it in Shooting Times or some other mag.

After a detailed discussion with them, we are able to custom pick a round for exactly what they want or a round that will cover a huge range of uses.

They understand quality, they really understand honesty and if you put the honest numbers in front of them and give them honest and realistic advise, they rarely make a poor decision about what they want built.

Its getting the honest information in from of them that is hard unless the come into the shop. That is where these places can help.

If a shooter wants a 1/4 moa rifle for punching paper for score out to 500 yards, as you know the 308 Win is very hard to beat but I would probably opt for the 6.5-284 just for the higher B.C. bullets.

Its 1 1/4 inch groups at 400 and 500 yards that shooters come to appreciate, not the spin the manufactures put on everything they talk about.

This is why I had to ask about others thoughts on Jamison!

Good Shooting!!!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post

"It never fails to impress me how a customer will come into the shop wanting to order or have a rifle built in the latest number because they read about it in Shooting Times or some other mag."

If they have them coming into your shop with money in their hand for you to build a rifle then they are doing you a whole lot of good. Why don't you just count your blessings. No matter how warranted a character assasination is ugly at best. Jamison is really one of ours and is just trying to get through life the best way he can. If he were reaping large rewards like Martha Steward I could better understand your indignation. He, a hired hand ,guys. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...If they have them coming into your shop with money in their hand for you to build a rifle then they are doing you a whole lot of good.
Jamison is really one of ours and is just trying to get through life the best way he can. ...

Hey Roger, I rarely get into these threads because they do trash folks working in the Industry.

However, when we(the buyers of the magazines) are being taken advantage of by charlatans and have spent our money to be mislead or outright lied to, then we most certainly have a right to complain.

In my case, it is much more difficult for them to fool me simply because I've been Hunting and Reloading for a very long time. It REALLY gripes me to see the Beginners mislead by people just trying to, "get through life the best way he can", when portions of what they are saying is simply WRONG!

That is totally different than just "disagreeing" over some trivial minutia such as, "Which is better, the 7mm-08 or a 30-06?" This gets back to what "50" was just saying about questioning his customers - it depends on their needs.

So, I believe it is proper to hold people accountable for their magazine articles. Same as holding people accountable for incorrectly trying to convince a Rookie Reloader that it is impossible to Reload SAFELY without a Strain Gauge and a Chronograph. PITIFUL!!!

I do agree with your first thought above. The more people spend on the new products, the better it gets for all of us. Just a darn shame the writers of today can't do it like Bob Hagle and Ken Waters have done their entire careers - honestly and ALWAYS speaking from first-hand experience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...Its getting the honest information in from of them that is hard unless the come into the shop. That is where these places can help.
If a shooter wants a 1/4 moa rifle for punching paper for score out to 500 yards, as you know the 308 Win is very hard to beat but I would probably opt for the 6.5-284 just for the higher B.C. bullets....

Hey 50, Agree with your first thought completely. Also agree with the second part.

It is obvious you intend to "try" and fit the proper caliber and rifle to the customer. Good for you and best of luck with those efforts.

I do know it can be difficult to show a person where a slightly different caliber, barrel length, stock, etc. would actually fit their needs better than some of the pre-conceived notions they have. Fortunately, it really is pretty difficult to go very far wrong and even then, they can always trade.

Saw a guy with 74 years shooting experience shoot one of the (then new) Titanium S&W 2"(I believe or 1 3/4") 357Mag revolvers with 125gr Federal Ammo at the Range a couple of years ago. Quite a fine looking revolver, but the grip was a bit small for my hands. I did ask how the "Recoil" was on it and he said he hadn't fired it - yet!

The first shot hit the 25yd target and the expression on his face was one of great surprise. His second shot hit about half way to the target due to the immediate Flinch.

He handed it to me and I looked it over again, but decided I just didn't need to fire it and destroy my concentration anymore than it normally already is. I moved directly behind him and he did fire a couple more, maybe the rest of that cylinder.

We removed our Hearing Protection and I offered him some 148gr Wadcutter Target Loads to try in it. He said, "No thank you, I'll just trade it."

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Barsness is probably the most useful writer going. He writes common sense articles, such as how to bed a wood stock to get your factory clunker to be stable & shoot. He also seems to base all of his theories on testing it for himself & personal experience and not so much on personal predjudice. I personally like this approach better than to say you should just save your pennies and buy a D'arcy Echols (not that it's bad advice, but not practical for most) like most writers seem to lean today.

The article where Barsness gives his opinion on how to build an accurate handload can be seen at:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/reloading_subpage.htm

I will not waste time defending Barsness, but I don't think he is discounting any of the age old benchrest techniques either. I take his point as there are certain steps that get you the majority of the way there and the rest of the effort does not buy you as much in terms of noticeable gains. He also states several times, that it is in his experience, not 100% fact. Certainly, to benchrest guys, every fraction of an inch counts and the extra steps are worthwhile, but to the hunter, it might not be worth the extra effort. Of course, there's nothing wrong with a hunter who take sheer pleasure in shooting as tiny groups off the bench as possible.

I'm not sure on the measuring case head expansion for pressure. I don't have access to personal pressure equipment, but I've read from several sources recently (Barsness & Ken Howell come to mind) that it is not as accurate as some had lead us to believe in the past. I know Ken Waters & Bob Hagel advocated this method for years, and it is probably at least as good as any visible indication of pressure, but then again, I've never seen an article where these guys actually had access to equipment to measure pressure. Most of the time they had to send the ammo off to some lab somewhere to get it measured and it was not in the same environment or gun they were shooting it in.

I agree with the rest, that Jamison's articles have become fairly useless. Some of his old reloading column articles in shooting times were worthwhile reads, but his writing has definitely gone down hill recently. I almost wonder if it's an editor forcing him to tailor his articles to the totally clueless. At least his older writing had some technical merit.

I'm not sure why Boddington gets such a bad rap. I find his articles enjoyable. He writes about hunting mostly (vs. technical shooting/reloading) and he has more experience than probably any other gunwriter ever at it. I think a lot of the criticism I see here is taken purely out of context because I've read a lot of his work, and some of the stuff doesn't sound like what I read. For example, Boddington never said you "need" a magnum to hunt deer, but he said they makes sense for hunting the huge Canadian whitetail or Mule Deer that exceed 300 lbs or hunting any deer where the shots can get long & the wind blows hard. I'm a huge .270 fan, and it certainly makes sense to me to hedge my bets with a larger gun for larger deer in windy areas. However, just because he said it makes sense does not mean that he recommends big magnums for all deer hunting.

Regards,

Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Stylish post Lou 270 and on the money. roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have let all of my subscriptions lapse. I'm tired of every article being a veiled advertisement for some business. The magazines and writers today are no where near the writers of old, such as Dean Grennel, Bob Milek, Skeeter Skelton, and Jim Carmichael. I get so tired of reading about two paragraphs and realizing I'm being led down the garden path to a sales speil for some product or business. I'll admit there are some good writers out there today, mostly freelance, but not many. I tend to stick to the old ideas and really rely more on these forums for answers and advice than any magazine.
I have thought about getting Gun Test, and was wandering if anyone has tried it and liked it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

THe problem is that when a customer comes in wanting something that the gun writes wrote about, they want something that the writers say is the best.

In reality, it is often very far from the best for the needs of my customers. I must then try to discover what they need first, then what they want and then offer then something that covers both.

You see if I build them something just because the gun writes say its the best way to go, I will be getting the chewing when the customer realizes they make a bad choice. I will be the bad guy not the gun writer that planted the seed in their mind.

This is what I do not like about such writers, it makes for my customers to truely know what they need. Of worse yet, Jamison makes them think they need something they really do not.

I am very happy and greatful for all of my customers, just wish, knowledgable people could inform them instead of the "hired" salesmen like Jamison just trying to sell someone elses product.

Good Shooting!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bottom line, money talks, bullshit walks, personality 50 cents a shot. What we have here is a classic example of the CREAM pricipal, (Cash Rules Everythig Around Me). The MICE factor (Money, Ideology, Conciensce, Ego) also comes to mind. I read gun rags so I can keep abreast of the bullshit that the gun whores crank out on a monthly basis. It never ceases to amaze me how many people will buy into their bullshit.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote