Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks for the help guys !
 Login/Join

<V-MAX>
posted
Hi, greetings from scotland

Just shot my first 1/2 inch group out of my .22/250 Winchester Varmint rifle.

No big deal to most of you guys but this is the goal I have been trying to achieve since I began reloading at the start of January.

I just thought I should say thanks for all the help from you guys which I found very useful and put me on the right track.

In case anyone is interested this the data,

50gr V-MAX
36.3gr Hodgdon Varget
CCI BR2 Primers
Remington Cases
C.O.L. 2.361
Velocity: 3800fps approx

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers,

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
V-MAX -

Sounds like you found a winner!!

Have you tried either of the 4895's? They also work well in most 22-250's.

Out of curiousity - what's winter like in Scotland; does it snow there?

Good luck,

R-WEST

------------------
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
Dean Vernon Wormer - 'Animal House'

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Congrats VMax!

Now if I can shoot the test loads I worked up in my 22-250 Winnie M70 HV, I'll be happy. If it's not below 0F, it's snowing or if the temps are ok, we have gale force winds......ahhh gotta love Mother Nature!

I worked up somewhat similar loads(except for brass and primers)using both the 50gr and 55gr VMaxs. I also got bored this winter and worked up test loads for .45-70 350gr Hornady FPs & 405 Rem FPs, 7mm Rem Mag 150gr BTs, and 243 Winchester 87 gr VMax. All start 5-8% below max and work up to "book" max in small increments. I normally make 5 rounds per test load and check for pressure. If a load shows no high pressure indicators and delivers promising accuracy, then I make more of the same load to verify consistent accuracy. None of my loads exceed book max. I need to unpack my new chronograph and learn how to use it!

------------------
BH1

"Did you use excessive force?---I HIT IT WITH EVERYTHING I HAD!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
<V-MAX>
posted
Thanks guys,

I haven't tried 4895 yet but I intend to get some soon to see if it can better the performance of Varget.

I live in the South East of Scotland and the deepest snow we have had this year in around 10-12 inches on the higher ground. the harder weather usually comes in march in April.

Cheers,