New
Find
Notify
Tools

130 Grain Game King
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How are the game kings for the .270 winchester vs Coreloc or Speer softpoints? Target= Medium deer.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More expensive.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK! I will use the cheap ones then...

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't take much to make a mess of deer lungs. They die easy. Good Luck this season.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy P, they may be a tad more, but in my experience, which is about 25 .270's they are definitely more accurate. I agree with Dwight for sure though, it doesn't take a lot to 'make a mess out of deer lungs'.....

I'd shoot whichever was most accurate for you.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy,
in the early 90's i hated the 130 gr corloc bullets in my 270. they were poor quality. I hope they have improved since then. back then i switched to nosler and have stuck with them in my 270. my wife shoots a 257 roberts and even when she has buck fever i don't have to do any tracking of her monsters. Do not use the hornady or the speer softpoints on hogs you will not bring home the bacon. i tried it with my 270 and it didn't work. Need more info and opinion of the 270 and bullets holler at me.

Posts: 59 | Location: Ok city, OK | Registered: 21 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny the hindquarter on the smoker right now came from a hog that was hit with a Speer 150 grain bullet. Truth is you won't get much bacon off a feral hog. The 130 grain Sierra bullet, the flat based version has worked fine on deer for me also.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all of your replies. In the past I reloaded for pistols but never rifles and I simply am trying to understand the subtleties of this craft. Personally I like the 130 grain bullet in the .270 and if I need 150 grain bullets I usually want to shoot a 30-06. I know this is boring stuff for most of you but I love to hunt and am getting into reloading (again) in order to enhance my options for better bullets without paying a fortune. I guess the Sierra 150 grain bullets in the .270 with higher sectional density would provide more penetration on a bigger animal? At the same time 130 grain Noslers partitions in the 270, or 100 grain Noslers partitions in the .243 would probably work fine on deer and hogs?? While 130 grain game kings would be fine for deer. How tough are the flat base Pro Hunters relative to the game kings? Happy Thanksgiving to all. JP

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, I think your assesments are accurate. In regards to the Pro Hunters vs the Game Kings, I haven't shot them on game as I have the Game Kings, but at the range they are plenty accurate up to 200 yards (as far as I have shot them) so I think it's probably up to your preference with whitetails on the menu. Check out their technical specs on their website for more tech detail, maybe that will give you some insight.

Good Hunting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy,
The Sierra GK's will be fine in the 270, but shot placement will be more crucial. As a handloader you can make the 270 pretty fast. If you do, you'll have to keep the GK behind the shoulder. For a little piece of mind, the Nosler partition will perform awesome even if you shoot for the shoulder.
I've killed all of my deer in FL and GA. Every deer I shot with the GK died quickly, but they were lung shots. In those deep GA creekbottoms, I used the Partitions so I could break the shoulder Wink .

Isaiah 41:10

Posts: 120 | Location: Clermont, FL | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flat base bullets tend to hold together a little better than boattails (in similarly constructed bullets) because of the internal shape of the jacket. While the Game King will provide all you want or need for deer, the corresponding Pro Hunter might theoretically give you just a little more weight retention and penetration -- but unlikely enough more to make a difference in most situations.

Speer and Sierra hunting bullets seem to be priced pretty similarly (and plenty cheap enough for the number you burn up in hunting.) Remington Corelocts are produced in high volume and the machinery is typically used until it is worn BEYOND specifications. Some lots of Coreloct bullets have inconsistent noses and may have varying locations of the cannelures. This will vary from caliber to caliber and lot to lot, but it is impossible to say beforehand when you are getting a lot produced on worn out dies. If they shoot well, then they're just fine for deer (and even bigger game). If they shoot poorly, well, they shoot poorly. Day in and day out it will be easier to achieve acceptable accuracy with the Sierras, of either base type.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote