New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swift Scirroco
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone else have problems with these bullets? I can't get them to group and when I weighed them they vary up to a grain in weight. This could explain some of the poor groups. I'm shooting the 180 grain 30 calibers in a 300 Win Mag.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, I too had problems getting the Swift Scirocco to shoot for me.

After seeing a buddy shoot a big old wild hog with a 7STW with one of these bullets I just had to try them. (Hell, even the guide had to ask just what the hell kind of gun he was shooting.)

However, I have tried them in a 7mm Rem Mag and a 7mm Weatherby Mag and have not been pleased. I cannot get consistant accuracy with them. I might shoot a reasonable group with them, then with shells from the same box of reloads I might shoot an AWFULL group. I give up!

I do not know how they will work yet, but I did try a box of the new Nosler Accubonds the other day. I have only been able to find a box of the 200 grain 30 caliber bullets so far. However, they made nice round 3/4 inch groups in my 300 Weatherby at nearly 3100 fps using RL 25 powder.
I know where there is a big old hog hanging out, I have plans for him.

Too bad, I just cannot get the Swifts to shoot for me. I have had much better luck getting the Swift A-Frame bullet to shoot. I worked up loads for a guy to use in his 375 H&H, man would those things shoot.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee, my 300WM seems to like the Scirocco's fine.
180gr. Rl25 79.5-80.5gr. gives me real good groups...but, not as good as those ol' Matchkings...LOL...sakofan....I would like to try the A-frame soon...

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the 180 Sciroccos in My .300 win mag. Wouldn't group worth a darn. Buddy had similar experience. The Nosler Ballistic Tips grouped under 1/2 inch in the same gun.... Anyone interested in a half a box of Sciroccos? [Wink]

Posts: 55 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
<JLBMI>
posted
I tried the 180's in my 300 RUM and in a 30/378.
I could not get to group in either rifle. Both rifles shoot Nosler BT's into nice tight groups. I gave up on them too.

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Their terminal performance is awful. I'm surprised that you are having problems grouping them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big lot to lot variation pressure wise in the 7mm ones I had - rework up carefuly if buying a different lot.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I see I'm not the only one having problems. Time to go to Nosler or Sierra or Hornady I guess. I haven't had much luck getting Barnes to shoot in other calibers either so I probably won't try them.
Thanks again!

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, Iam going with Sierra exclusively...sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I believe the Scirroco is a pure copper jacket & has sim. problems that the 'x' bullets do. I'll stick w/ Noslers.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Austin>
posted
I shoot 180 scirocco's in 308 warbird & 300 WSM both guns shoot 1/2" @ 100y. Trick is they like to be .060 off the lands.

Warbird 102G R25 Federal 215M
WSM 69.5G IMR 4831 Fed 215M

<Rifleman7>
posted
300 RUM and Rem factory loaded Swifts - POS. Two to four inch 3-shot groups at 100. Hand loaded 165 HP Game Kings around .75".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try starting with an absolutely CLEAN barrel. I have found the Scirrocos easier to make shoot than ANY of the copper X bullets. Then again if they don't work, give the new Nosler accubonds a try, should work very similar.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've only seriously tested the Scirrocos in a m-700 in .300 Wby and had great luck. The gun isn't brag'n accurate with anything but it shoots these Swifts fine. I've finished off a bunch of gut shot feral pigs with them and found they average around 85% retained weight... that's about 80% better than Ballistic Tips in my experience.
Sure Partitions, A-Frames, etc. retain more but the Scirrocos don't get banged up if shooting with the same few in the bottom of the magazine. They have been a little more forgiving to work up loads for than the X's.
I think the bonded Noslers and Hornadys should be fine too.

Kyler

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Tried the 180 in my 300 RUM. 3250 fps with RL 25 and 1.5" groups at 200 yds.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
The 180 Scirocco has been pretty accurate in my .300 Weatherby Sako, but I'm not too crazy about its performance on game and I also don't like what a pure copper jacket does to my barrel. I'll be using something else this year.