Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Forum Purpose
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
ConfusedSometimes it is a little difficult to understand how the intent of of this forum is perceived. Confusedroger

Question:
Why does the Accurate Reloading Forum exist?

Choices:
To show that my ass is blacker than your ass?
Have a place to argue?
Macho environment where you can tell someone what you think of them?
Exhibit your brilliant rhetoric?
Display your EGO which is normal sujugated by a wife or mother
Share info and help others in need of assistance?

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I thought that it was just here because Saeed named the site Accuratereloading.com and just had to have a reloading forum so that he wouldn't be accused of false advertising.

Most of the posts here seem to be pissing matches about how to calculate the pressure of handloads using PRE, strain gages or Ouija boards.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny as hell bartsche!

Many of the choices are correct.

As Rush says, all humor has to have some basis in truth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have learnt things - technical stuff, saving myself wasted time etc and had my horizons widened reading the various forums.

I doubt I would have stumbled across some of the neat pieces of kit and new wrinkles by myself.

So, in some ways, I think the AR forums are a good old fashioned apprenticeship scheme. Contrary to what we are continually told, most people are happy to help others, share their experiences.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
most people are happy to help others, share their experiences.

thumb

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rolltop:
quote:
most people are happy to help others, share their experiences.

thumb

+1

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
All aspects of humankind are present here, some not so good, but they are outnumbered by the many who are helpful & knowledgable / genuine types, It's a pleasure to trawl the boards for that little snippet that completes the puzzle! thumb

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robthom:
I have learnt things - technical stuff, saving myself wasted time etc and had my horizons widened reading the various forums.

I doubt I would have stumbled across some of the neat pieces of kit and new wrinkles by myself.

So, in some ways, I think the AR forums are a good old fashioned apprenticeship scheme. Contrary to what we are continually told, most people are happy to help others, share their experiences.

+1
I have learned many things here. Have helped me grow as a reloader in many ways. When ever I m in a jam I log in and get help, someone always seems to have a answer or is willing to help.
Sometimes it is just fun to read to encorage the pissing matches. Mainly because I guess I m sick like that. pissers
But if this place was all work and no play it would be boring as shit and no one would want to come play. Is that not true?
Drink up my friends, for we have just started to share technical advice and encourage your friends in a little teasing about there flaws. :P
beer
This place is great. Where else are we going to share our knowledge and pick on them too?
I have yet to see more then a few posts, out of thousands I have seen, that are really (if i could spell I d use the one I m looking for) aggressive.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
ConfusedSometimes it is a little difficult to understand how the intent of of this forum is perceived. Confusedroger

"Question:
Why does the Accurate Reloading Forum exist?"

Maybe it was part of a global mission to promote the use of Bardahl as a case lube? Big Grin

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Actually, the first pages on this site were reloading data. We did not have a forum as such then.

I used to visit Shooters.com and enjoyed participating on their forums.

Then we decided to have a forum of our own. We had a software that allowed just one continuous list of posts - up to 500. As soon as posts 501 was written, the one at the bottom of the listy disappeared. It took several days for this to happen.

Then itgot a bit more busy, and we decided to change that software for one that will meet our needs.

That lasted a fwe years, as we added more forums as members requested. Then we found that software wasn't up to the number of threads we had.

And finally we settled on EVE, the present software.

Just thought some of you might be interested to hear how it all started.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Saeed, that's funny because I found this site as I was searching for a new internet site when the old Shooters.com shut down.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was searching for info on Accurate Powders when I came across this site for the first time. I try not to participate in pissing contests, but they can be somewhat entertaining on occassion.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche, good question.

Your question has also been raised here in Australia on our premier firearms related site - Australian Hunting Net (AHN) http://www.australianhunting.n...dex.php?action=forum

In general, a lot of good info is shared between people with a common interest and understanding.

To be sure, pissing competitions and shitfights come into it, but most of all, AR and AHN are kinda like campfire discussions - some good info, some pisstakes, some absolute b/s, a bit of humour but mostly genuine people trying to help others avoid their own mistakes or provide food for though, or throwing up ideas for consideration.

Then again, it could just be that a bored Saudi wanted to have a bit of a laugh about how seriously us Westerners take ourselves... dancing

Saeed, before you ban me for life - that's what we call taking the piss out of someone....

Thanks Saeed. Onya!!

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

"Question:
Why does the Accurate Reloading Forum exist?"

Maybe it was part of a global mission to promote the use of Bardahl as a case lube? Big Grin

clapReally a great reply , Mark. And Bardahl is getting harder to find; kinda like primers?
thumbI'm glad I posted this. It has a lot of well thought out reasoning and a bit of interesting history. And yes the pissing contests can some times be entertaining as long as they are civil. JMHO. beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd just like to say "Thank you Saeed for all of your work, money & effort " for providing such a public forum. Yes, quite often a topic turns into a pissin' match and it would be nice for members to control their comments. I try to avoid those postings and don't usually comment.
I've learned some things from others on the site and hopefully have imparted some of my experiences for the benefit of others.
Again, thanks, Saeed and keep up the good work.

Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i too would like to thank you for the good reloading forum......... when i got my computer it was the first web site i came to about reloading and i've been here ever since....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I was searching for info on Accurate Powders when I came across this site for the first time. I try not to participate in pissing contests, but they can be somewhat entertaining on occassion.

yep.. me too.........

LIFE IS SHORT.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember shooters.com.

Chris Farris was helpful about scopes.

I think that Roger may be irritated by the CHE/ strain gauge debates like ford vs chevy debates, but they have gone on here for years, and seem more polite now.

In past years I counted the insults and posted the stats.

I also think that even if the leaders are entrenched, those that bother to read the debates can get a chance to make up their own minds with both points of view presented and presented and presented...

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't it to blast Hotcore for his CHE/PRE and Seafire for his Bluedot loads? Smiler

If not, the hit count would probably be about 1/2 of what it is today.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I think the answer to your question depends inpart upon how long the member has been participating in the AR forums. Long ago we were a bunch of cranks who cared, now there is an element which shall I say can be disruptive and somewhat less than helpful. Fun is a good thing, but when most posts are made here the OP is trying to think through an issue he/she? is having. I know that I have received some help with a double rifle and regulation issues which was priceless to me. I also have found it increasingly difficult to spend my time here due to the lack of civility, and paucity of true help.

I am aware that my experiences and opinions may vary from the pack, but at least my view changes. Keep an open mind.

So B, I'll take help others as a worthy way to utilize this forum.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most discussion boards, whatever the topics, have flame wars. IMO, the flame wars here are not that bad. I try to stay civil and stay on topic. Regards, AIU

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Saeed, that's funny because I found this site as I was searching for a new internet site when the old Shooters.com shut down.

Love your avatar pic!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
The purpose of it is to provide a venue for whatever interests you and find others who have the same interests. Some seek information, some like to show their expertise, some like to share what they know and teach and some like to argue (or discuss passionately if you will).

I know that case prep is what floats my boat so I participate vigorously on most of those threads and find many others here willing to participate also. Others like to talk about pressures with others who are willing to discuss it with them, or "pressure wars" as I like to call them.

Just avoid the threads that don't interest you and participate in the ones that do

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rugeruser:
Bartsche, good question.

Your question has also been raised here in Australia on our premier firearms related site - Australian Hunting Net (AHN) http://www.australianhunting.n...dex.php?action=forum

In general, a lot of good info is shared between people with a common interest and understanding.

To be sure, pissing competitions and shitfights come into it, but most of all, AR and AHN are kinda like campfire discussions - some good info, some pisstakes, some absolute b/s, a bit of humour but mostly genuine people trying to help others avoid their own mistakes or provide food for though, or throwing up ideas for consideration.

Then again, it could just be that a bored Saudi wanted to have a bit of a laugh about how seriously us Westerners take ourselves... dancing

Saeed, before you ban me for life - that's what we call taking the piss out of someone....

Thanks Saeed. Onya!!

I know you lot Downunder are supposed to be upside down, but don't they teach you geography in school?

I am from Dubai, and last I know it is still in the UAE clap

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I think the AR like many forums has a lot more guests/lurkers/Looky Lou's then the membership realizes.

These folks never join such sites or rarely do, or if they do, they only visit the topic areas that interest them, such as the classifieds.

My reasons for joining such sites are varied, ranging from promoting my guide service and those of associates, to sharing the experiences and knowledge I have accumulated over 40 years of hunting, and stuff in between.

I think a lot of folks join these sites, simply because in their normal daily lives, they do not or may not have anyone to discuss hunting/firearms/reloading or such things with.

I enjoy the AR, probably better that any of the other sites I am on except one and it is devoted mainly to fishing on the Texas Coast.

The things I like about AR are as follows:

1. The site is active all the time, rarely does a topic go more than just a few minutes or a few hours without some type of comment or rebuttal.

2. This will seem strange sounding, but for the most part, this place is fairly civilized, and there is not a lot of the Juvenile Jack Ass crap that goes on as there is on other sites.

3. Banning, rarely happens. On some sites even asking a question about someone that was banned get's the asker banned.

4. While there is some loose alliances among members on here, there is not the clanishness or cliqueness as on some sites.

For those that have never tried some of the other places out on the web, you need to and you will find out that even with it's "Faults???", the AR is a bunch better than lot's of sites.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I think the AR like many forums has a lot more guests/lurkers/Looky Lou's then the membership realizes.

These folks never join such sites or rarely do, or if they do, they only visit the topic areas that interest them, such as the classifieds.

My reasons for joining such sites are varied, ranging from promoting my guide service and those of associates, to sharing the experiences and knowledge I have accumulated over 40 years of hunting, and stuff in between.

I think a lot of folks join these sites, simply because in their normal daily lives, they do not or may not have anyone to discuss hunting/firearms/reloading or such things with.

I enjoy the AR, probably better that any of the other sites I am on except one and it is devoted mainly to fishing on the Texas Coast.

The things I like about AR are as follows:

1. The site is active all the time, rarely does a topic go more than just a few minutes or a few hours without some type of comment or rebuttal.

2. This will seem strange sounding, but for the most part, this place is fairly civilized, and there is not a lot of the Juvenile Jack Ass crap that goes on as there is on other sites.

3. Banning, rarely happens. On some sites even asking a question about someone that was banned get's the asker banned.

4. While there is some loose alliances among members on here, there is not the clanishness or cliqueness as on some sites.

For those that have never tried some of the other places out on the web, you need to and you will find out that even with it's "Faults???", the AR is a bunch better than lot's of sites.

I agree fully!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys don't know how lucky you are with this forum.
If you want to witness some REAL pissing matches you better learn German an join in on this one: German hunters forum

Poeple are insulting each other on almost every second thread. You will hardly ever receive a competent answer, because of all the b.s.ing going on there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mean someone other than the principals open those threads about pre and che and blue dot?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure that this reloading forum has a simple statable purpose. Saeed may own it like some guys own football teams. Some people come here to ask questions. Some come here to brag. Some want to hawk their products.

This is in contrast to high school chemistry in 1966, when they taught us that each test had to have a precisely stated purpose.

I have designed allot of one time tests and supervised the fabrication by technicians. I have to hang around, because the purpose of the test and how we control variables seems to escape most workers.

What does it all mean?
1) You can't define the purpose.
2) Even if you could, posters would not conform to the purpose.

From Jurassic Park:
quote:
If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, expands to new territory, and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously.

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
A mate told me about the video clips of those guys shooting the .477
I do not want to try one.
That's what got me started.
I have learned a lot and improved my reloading and shooting standards.
Made some friends and have done some wheeling and dealing.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear in Fairbanks:
I'd just like to say "Thank you Saeed for all of your work, money & effort " for providing such a public forum.

I totally agree. The quality of the knowledge shared here is very high. I also like that it is a international forum where all continents are present. Makes me feel like belonging to some international brotherhood of reloaders and hunters.

Thank you, Saeed!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Good Post DUK. thumb thumb beer beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Bartsche, good question.

Thanks Saeed. Onya!!

I know you lot Downunder are supposed to be upside down, but don't they teach you geography in school?

Ahhh... guilty as charged Y'r Honour, and my sincere apologies if I have caused offence - certainly none intended.

When I was at school (too many years ago to admit or acknowledge), the focus was on the 'British Empire'... since then, I've learnt a lot about the former Yugoslav Republic (married into a Serb / Croatian family and made some very interesting observations about 'tribalism') but SFA about the Middle East, apart from reading a condensed history that both my son and I found fascinating.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
The purpose of it is to provide a venue for whatever interests you and find others who have the same interests. Some seek information, some like to show their expertise, some like to share what they know and teach and some like to argue (or discuss passionately if you will).

I know that case prep is what floats my boat so I participate vigorously on most of those threads and find many others here willing to participate also. Others like to talk about pressures with others who are willing to discuss it with them, or "pressure wars" as I like to call them.

Just avoid the threads that don't interest you and participate in the ones that do

+1

I've come to appreciate what case prep does for accuracy the last year or so. Before that, it was just drudgery, something that needed doing, so I short cut important things in the case prep area, and my groups showed it.
Today, case prep is a passion, and the small groups I shot reflect it. My whole perspective on accuracy has changed since addressing the case prep issue.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Bartsche, good question.

Thanks Saeed. Onya!!

Ahhh... guilty as charged Y'r Honour, and my sincere apologies if I have caused offence - certainly none intended.

When I was at school (too many years ago to admit or acknowledge), the focus was on the 'British Empire'... since then, I've learnt a lot about the former Yugoslav Republic (married into a Serb / Croatian family and made some very interesting observations about 'tribalism') but SFA about the Middle East, apart from reading a condensed history that both my son and I found fascinating.

I will let you off this time mate, just because you come from the same country as my friend Denis.

He proudly told me his ancestors were hand picked by British judges, and he bloddy proud of his heritage. I bought him a whole case of beer, as you never see him without a can in his hands.

He called it his "aiming lotion".

It must have been very bad aiming lotion, as he could never hit anything clap

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Its a whole new training regime to be good when internally applying aiming lotion.
Few master it.
Many try.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHAT? I can't hear this thread over the sound of how awesome I am!!!

Oops. Wrong board.

You question whether short mags are the best thing since sliced bread? YOU'RE BANNED!

Ooops. That one's gone.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen posted on the internet! Are you a net ninja posting in your Batman underwear?

Oooops. Another wrong board.

Seriously, this is the only board I regularly and significantly participate on because it's not all those things. We have an amazing group because there's so little of that here. People here share information and try to answer questions. Disagreements are almost all civil and polite.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that Bush should have fired liberal federal prosecutors that did not pursue ACORN voter fraud on this poll.

Sorry, wrong forum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wisht I had the forum when I started reloading. Hell, I wisht I had the internet when I started reloading. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I try to use this forum to share info with other rifle loonies.
Some guy's do tend to take things to pesonal though.
Not just on this forum either.
On the medium bore rifle page, I chimed in that I had had bad luck with the .270. Never said it was a bad cartridge, just that I had had bad luck with it.
I got some pretty hard responses.
I am somtimes dissapointed when I sugjest a load for the .257roberts and 7X57 using H-414 , and I have almost zero luck getting anybody to try it.
I post my results that are sometimes 300 FPS faster than what others want to stick to,
But I don't take it personanly.
If someone told me of a powder that gets them terific results from theere rifle , and I get lesser results.
I am gonna try it.
let me sugjest right now, to anybody getting less than 3100 FPS from there Roberts with a 100 grain bullet , try H-414. start at about 44 grains.
My load is 46 and I get 3140 and .75 inches for 3 shots at 100. from 2 rifles.
If you are happy with 2850, stick with what you are using. I am not gonna get to upset about it. And certainly if you get 3000, no point in buying a new powder for 100 FPS.
But I hand load cause I like to get the most from a given cartridge.

...tj3006

freedom1st