New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRX BULLETS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need a little info on the mrx bullets from barnes . I now load the tsx bullet for my
300 wsm and like them fine. But I saw some
of the mrx bullets and was thinking of giving
them a try. So can someone clue me in on these
bullets. You know mybe how they compare to the
tsx . Or if you think it is worth while to even
try them .

Thanks

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was given a box, and shot them with my TSX recipe, in 300 WSM by the way. Little group, just like my TSX, just about 2" left and a bit high, maybe 1" or so.

I only shot 10, 3 in 3 shot groups, and one at 100 yards just for info on 100 yard compared to 200 (all others shot at 200)

I've saved the other 10, will shoot a whitetail or two on a depridation permit early this coming fall to see what on game performance is like, I think a normal size Ga whitetail isn't much of a test but that's the first thing it'll see.....

I can't imagine this bullet giving me something spectacular enough for me to justify the price of them, but maybe---for now, in a 'need a tough bullet' situation, the TSX is plenty for me.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
The MRX and that new Winchester C3PO R2D2, whatever the heck it is are simply 2 bullets by 2 bullet makers trying to outdo each other. No different than a Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna.

I wouldn't mind trying the MRX but it's never going to happen unless I get some for free.

There comes a time when the cost of a bullet just exceeds it's ability to outperform what already exists. For me, the MRX is just that.

If you plan on shooting BIG game REGULARLY at 600 yards or more, then you might wish to try these new bullets. You will gain NOTHING, IMO, over the TSX at distances of 400 yards and under except maybe the bullet will get there a little quicker because of that plastic tip increasing the BC.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
i think the nosler partition does not give anything up to the tsx...infact its more reliable and predictable
i think the MRX is trying to fix the short commings of the tsx
Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend gave me 16 30 cal 180 grn MRX bullets. They are slightly more accurate than my TSX and they are no slouch. I have not had an opportunity to try them on game.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thank you all for your responce to my question. Fish I don't know if you

have any luck with the tsx bullets , but I have shot several Texas whitetails

with them and they do great . Many of my buddies are now going to them. And if

the mrx bullets don't perform as good as the tsx I would be very suprised. Doc

you are right about price and everyone trying to make a better mouse trap. But

I am going to at lease try a box and see what the fuss is about. I still wonder

how they will expand at 100 yards or less . I have been told by a few guys that

think it will be like accubonds or ballistic tips. I hope it is not like

accubonds . I loaded a few for a friend for his 300 wm and he just punch a

hole in the deer not much blood. Can't figure that out but it happen. M98 I

think the nosler partion is also a great bullet I have shot all of the bullets

evryone has mention they all work fine ,well maybe not the accubonds for what

we used them for I am sure they have their place . Butch I am with you on how

well the tsx shoots . I shoot them out of a 300 wsm remington xcr right out of

the box . Most of the time with a 5/8 " group if I do my part.

Thanks

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
The MRX is a TBBC or FAILSAFE with a plastic tip.

Oh, I'm confident you'll be very pleased with it's performance. This design is in many ways, the perfect bullet.

If I read enough reports about them from various shooters/hunters and they all seem to be positive, I may try a box....we'll see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
The MRX is a TBBC or FAILSAFE with a plastic tip.

Oh, I'm confident you'll be very pleased with it's performance. This design is in many ways, the perfect bullet.

If I read enough reports about them from various shooters/hunters and they all seem to be positive, I may try a box....we'll see.

NO such thing as a perfect bullet, however, IMO northfork comes the closest to fulfilling that role.

one of us
posted Hide Post
7Mag, I have shot a lot of deer with the TSX and have typically had good results. I have had a couple that apparently 'penciled through' but the standard wisdom on that, is that the bullet simply shed it's petals, and the caliber sized exit hole was just the remaining shank or core or the bullet. I'm still not 100% sure about that, I hit most of these deer with a second round with the same result. I did a very thorough autopsy on 3 of these deer, and we couldn't find any 'petals' that had sheared off. Having said that, I think they would be damn hard to find if that is actually what had happened, and also they may disintegrate into even smaller pieces if they did in fact break off, I'm still just not sure what happend. I still use TSX's, they are just damn accurate in a few of my rigs, but I actually--opposite of your friend--have had absolutely awesome results with the Accubond. I have used it in a bunch of calibers, and shot a load of game with it, and never anything but spectacular results.

I think any bullet can give you a funny result every now and then, and due to that belief, I haven't thrown away the whole bunch of TSX's I have, and I'll shoot some more critters with them for sure.

I also will continue to use Accubonds, NBT's, Scirocco II's, A-frames, Sierra GK's (soft points and hollow points) and even good ole Remington Core Lokt's!

Good Shooting

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molar1:
NO such thing as a perfect bullet, however, IMO northfork comes the closest to fulfilling that role.

NF is a very good bullet, but like you said, no such thing as a perfect one.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Bullets are a compromise and no bullet will be the best in all situations, IMO. I have been slowly trending towards heavy bullets at a moderate velocity that will allow them time to do their job.

For my 280 AI I'm using 160 gr Accubonds at about 3000 fps MV.

For my 30-06 I'm using the 200 gr Accubonds at 2700 fps MV. Excellent on-game performance. Explosive like the Ballistic Tip and penetration like the Partition. Big exit hole.

For the 300 win mag I've been using 200 gr Accubonds at 2900 fps MV but am thinking about going back to 180 gr TSX's for accuracy reasons.

For the 338 win mag it is the 225 gr TSX at 2825 fps. It's hard to believe anything could stand up to that.

I do feel like the 200 gr Accubond in .308 caliber is in a class by itself for accuracy and performance but would not want to take a close shot with it at 300 RUM velocities.

I do not like the performance in general of the smaller TSX's, especially at blistering speeds. Perhaps a TSX needs a larger frontal area to open up reliably.

The TSX's are great for not doing much meat damage. Close shots hit the shoulder and contact bone and they will do the job.

I have a box of 140 gr MRX's in .284 that I might use soon. Will let you know how they shoot but will not know about terminal ballistics for a while.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
I do feel like the 200 gr Accubond in .308 caliber is in a class by itself for accuracy and performance but would not want to take a close shot with it at 300 RUM velocities.

Have no fear Woods, I shot a buck antelope right in the shoulder at 65 yards with a 200AB from my 28" bbl 300 RUM.

Nickel size in, quarter size out. Dumped him.