Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enlightening day at the range
 Login/Join

posted
Went to the local range today to shoot 4 rifles. It was "sight-in" day for deer hunting so the whole process was different. A shooter couldn't just take time checking out the grouping of various loads and there were range workers helping people get their guns sighted in using spotting scopes. The purpose was to get people in an out once their guns were sighted in. I figured "what the hell", I will still shoot and let these range workers help me spot my groups and give me pointers.

Well the rifles I brought with me were historically my most inaccurate rifles and I had yet to find pet loads for any of them. A couple of them, a 22-250 and a 300 win mag, had only been averaging 3" groups at 100 yards from previous shooting sessions. I started with the 300 win mag and the first group was indeed 3".

I typically only use a front rest and not a rear rest because that has felt more comfortable to me and with my other rifles I consistently achieve less than 1" groups using this method. This range worker politely showed me a more effective method to use the rear bags, squeezing them with my left hand to get them at the optimal level. He showed me how to leave the gun but adjust the bag to bring the cross-hairs to the bulls-eye.

I proceeded to shoot all four guns and achieved less than 1" groups consistently for all four with only the 22-250 not having bullets touching. This was the best shooting session I ever had with the steadiest feeling for each shot.

I learned a great deal today. One being that all my rifles, (I have a winchester, a browning, tikkas, vanguards, a remington 700 and a savage)all are very accurate rifles. I also learned that when judging handloads don't be so quick to dismiss them or declare them superior as the shooting technique is likely a bigger factor. I can't wait to get to the range again and use my improved technique and really see what my handloads are capable of.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
works everytime.. you can also place your hand under the toe, left hand, and make changes to your hand shape (like making a fist, so to speak) to do the same in the field.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39554 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I learned a great deal today.

Oben Nord Kerl,

You're on your way, Pal.

One of the best posts I've read in a while.

Keep an open mind - just not so open that anything falls out.

tu2

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good rest and a good spotting scope are the two most valuable things you take to the range.
They can pay for themselves many times over with savings in ammo, components, gas and time.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything you can do to remove the human element will improve the reliability of your testing. A long time ago I began taking lessons from the benchrest boys. Get a Sinclair catalog and get out your checkbook. Cheaper than wasting ammo. Front and rear rests. Also pay attention to:
-seletion of target type
-sight picture related to target
-statistics (Just how reliable is one three shot group?) You need to know.
-Consider a subscription to "Precision Shooting".
Good luck.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a good coach can help even the best shooters. everybody does something wrong, a good coach will spot it so that you can correct.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
works everytime.. you can also place your hand under the toe, left hand, and make changes to your hand shape (like making a fist, so to speak) to do the same in the field.

This is simple stuff... we teach this to Boy Scouts at the range with 22s, or as a counselor on the Rifle Shooting Merit Badge...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's simple only when you have learned it. Like brain surgery.
I can remember several "enlightenments" I've had over the years that were really simple but had big effects on my shooting.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote