THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Matching Barnes bullets to barrel manufacturer...

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matching Barnes bullets to barrel manufacturer...
 Login/Join

<Jordan>
posted
Have any of you riflemen attempted to correlate, or have you made any observations, as to whether any particular brand of barrel shoots Barnes bullets more accurately than another? For example, does a button rifled bore do better or worse than cut-rifled, or hammer-forged? Or is there simply no correlation at all. As I think everyone will agree, Barnes bullets don't seem to shoot as accurately as some of their competitors except rarely and I am trying to find out which barrel, if any gives the best hope for very good accuracy. Trying to get the best of both worlds: weight retention and accuracy.

Thanks,

Jordan

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jordan,

I have built rifles with barrels from different manufacturers - like Lilja, Hart and Shilen.

All of them shot very well with the loads they like.

I am not sure what type of rifling those manufacturers use.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66926 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
According to Barnes,you have to seat the bullet further back from the rifling to get could accuracy.Several of my shooting Buddy's,tried it,and it works.Better acuurcy.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

<Scott H>
posted
Saeed,
Hart, Lilja and Shilen are button rifled barrels. Obermeyer, Krieger, K&P and Border are cut barrels.

Jordan,
Saeed is correct, all of these barrels will produce fine accuracy with load tuning, whether cut or buttoned.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Hart, Krieger, Pac-Nor, and Douglas barrels on a variety of rifles and calibers and have never had one that I could find a reasonable load for that would shoot as well as Nosler and/or Swift...that is, less than 1 moa for Nosler/Swift and 1.5" to 2" for Barnes X. I tried variations in seating depth, different neck tension, ad naseum until I got tired of spending the money for the bullets and accepted what I already knew....Nosler/Swift will do the job for anything that doesn't need a solid.

However, I have friends who swear by the Barnes X and wouldn't shoot anything else.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote