Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load for a .223 using winchester 760?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm wondering if anybody has a load for a .223 using Winchester 760 powder. Kids love shooting the mini 14 so thought I would use up powder I no longer use. Using 55g and 60g hornady bullets. I know its not accurate. Any help would be great. Thanks

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
W760 is much too slow for the 223

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It might, maybe, possibly work if you were shooting 90 grain bullets.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
W-760 From 26.5 grains to 29.0 grains
Steve's Pages

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 243winxb:
W-760 From 26.5 grains to 29.0 grains
Steve's Pages

Regardless of what is on "Steve's Pages" the Hodgdon site and my reloading manuals (including Winchester manuals) have no listing for 55-60 grain bullets using W760 or H414 (same powder, different name).

While it may be possible to use it (it's also possible to use Unique) it is not a powder that is suitable for the 223.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
While it may be possible to use it (it's also possible to use Unique) it is not a powder that is suitable for the 223.

Please define the word "suitable" and who in your estimation makes or should make that determination.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
It may not cycle the action. I don't have loads for this.

So, the situation is that you have 760 and want to make light loads for the grands?

Sounds like a good experiment... Btw, it is a suboptimal powder for general purposes, and might not reduce Recoil... It will increase muzzle blast

If you like, trailboss is much better suited...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39557 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
quote:

Please define the word "suitable" and who in your estimation makes or should make that determination.

Doubless,
When working with semi-autos the powder used has to provide a more specific pressure/time rise in order to function and operate cleanly. A suitable powder would do that and produce decent accuracy as well.

If you want to use it in your gun please be careful and take all the safety precautions you can. I would not recommend the use in any gun but the owner/shooter of the gun accepts all the responsibility for his/her actions.

With all the powders to choose from it might be safer and smarter to use an appropriate powder that has been tested and found to produce the right pressure curve.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Try some Win 748. Light recoil, cycles the action without a hitch.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My research tells me you would be better off w/ Imr 4064, 4895 or another powder. H335, RL 15 or TAC, Bechmark OR others.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Indeed Hodgdon reloading's website lists 760 as a suitable powder for the heavier .223 bullets, namely the 82gr Berger HPBT and the 90gr Sierra HPBT. I have no doubt that it will run the other 90gr .223 bullets. Additionally Barns' 85gr Match burner and Berger's 80.5 Fullbore bullet are likely candidates for testing.

Obviously the fact that one is running a ball powder at max pressures to get any reasonable muzzle velocity should not be ignored and the load should be approached with great caution especially on hot days.

A 1:6.5 is common for the 90gr bullets but a 1:7 is just fine easily producing a stability factor of 1.65 at 2450fps 70°F and 120' for the Sierra. Even the JLK shows an SG of 1.43 in the same situation but that's close enough to consider a 1:6.5