Find
Notify
Tools

Powder — Reloader 15
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Do we ever think we will see Reloader 15 or Norma 203B for sale again?

Are there any ‘truly good’ alternatives…for things like .375 H&H and esp .500 NE?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36630 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen Norma powder in quite some time, but RL15 is hitting the shelves intermittently. I've been able to grab 7lbs in the last few months. Natchez and Powder Valley have been the most fruitful to keep an eye on. Prices have been up there (~$50/lb, plus hazmat). Alliant had a pretty large drop of powder to distributors this week (at that's my guess based on the availability of powder this week).

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Powder Valley doesn’t seem to have an alert function. Frowner

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36630 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Reloader 15 is a midrange powder.

I am sure you can dozens of powders.

H4895
Varget
Vihtavuouri 140, 150

The 375 is not difficult!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66988 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Yes…I am sure I can start over easily with the .375. It’s just that I have shot the same load for 25 years and old habits die hard.

The .500 NE is what I am most worried about…not to mention it is my go to powder for others like the .308.

It just pisses me off that I ‘have to’ change…maybe…eventually…not quite out yet!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I switched from RL15 to Varget in my 6BR. Same velocities and accuracy. Similar metering. Not that the dealers have been inundated with Varget lately, I just have more of it.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it was my go to for 308 and 30-06 too. ran out. tried 748 and am very impressed. and surprised.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I have a double rifle in 375,I have been using Acc 4350 with the 270 grainers & no problems with regulation & speed.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
RL17 works great, at least for me in .243 Win, 8x57 IS, .375 H&H, 585 HE. I don't know if available or not in your area. Here, it is easy to get, but under different brand Reload Swiss as RS60 powder.

Jiri

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane-

I've had good results with Varget and IMR 4064 in my Model 70s and Ruger 77 375 H&Hs.

I've found that developing an accurate load for the .375 H&H is fairly easy. All my experience has been with the Swift 300 grain A-Frame bullets.

Velocity ranges from 2450 to 2550.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 plus pounds of RL-15 if shipping wasn't such a problem I trade someone for other powders.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I have 4 plus pounds of RL-15 if shipping wasn't such a problem I trade someone for other powders.

Correct! It's not just problematic but highly illegal without the correct container and certification. I know, I tried to ship powder and found no legal, satisfactory option.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

If I lived in Wisconsin…I would drive to your house with whatever you wanted!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dahav:
Lane-

I've had good results with Varget and IMR 4064 in my Model 70s and Ruger 77 375 H&Hs.

I've found that developing an accurate load for the .375 H&H is fairly easy. All my experience has been with the Swift 300 grain A-Frame bullets.

Velocity ranges from 2450 to 2550.

I actually have quite a bit of Varget. Will give it a whirl if I have too.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reloader 15 is a midrange powder.

I am sure you can dozens of powders.

H4895
Varget

I would rather use RL-15 in my 308 / 7-08 but I also use those mentioned along with IMR 4166

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using H380 and N150 for my .375 H&H. There are other powders that work well - H4350, for example.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will hold out for RL-15, 19, 22 and 17. but in the meantime I will find a substitute that prints to the same poi, not so much for velocity within reason..

I needed my old elk load for one of my rifles, so I pulled the bullets on 100 06 rounds, salvaged the RL-15 powder for my 9.3x62 elk rifle..and reloaded the o6 with old 4831 I have on hand...

cowboy magic, it makes little since but it does work.. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote