THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Using electric drill to deburr primer flash holes

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using electric drill to deburr primer flash holes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In another thread here (the one about using an electric drill to trim cases), I describe my method of case trimming, using the Lee Cutter and Lock Stud, and the Lee Case Length Gauge, by putting the lock stud in an electric drill and using that to spin the cases.

I've also found that I can use this method to debur flash holes. I have the Midway Flash Hole Deburring Tool. I use the Lee Lock Stud and shell holder in an electric drill to spin the cases, and I thread the Midway tool through the mouth of the case into the flash hole. This method makes flash hole deburring very fast.

The only difficulty is that frequently you have to wiggle the tool around for awhile before you get the point of the drill to find and enter the flash hole.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I have an RCBS flashhole deburring kit. I hold the case in my bare hand and chuck the cutter in the drill. The guide surface is long enough that I seldom have to feel around for the hole.

Whatever works!

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Le270, I've got the midway flash hole deburring tool and tried to deburr with the cases chucked in a drill with the lee lee lock stud and case holder. It didn't work for me because the brass kept building up in the end of the flash hole deburring tool. I had to pick it out with a needle on every case I deburred. I gave up on it and went back to doing it by hand. It's weird that we had different results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boltman:
Le270, I've got the midway flash hole deburring tool and tried to deburr with the cases chucked in a drill with the lee lock stud and case holder. It didn't work for me because the brass kept building up in the end of the flash hole deburring tool. I had to pick it out with a needle on every case I deburred. I gave up on it and went back to doing it by hand.

It builds up to some extent for me too. I pick it out with a wooden toothpick. But it seems to me that, if one is really cutting all of the burr out of the case, then whether you do it by hand or with the power tool, the amount removed should be the same.

These results -- both yours and mine -- suggest to me that if you do it by hand you aren't really getting the entire burr cut out. In fact, I'm considering going back and re-doing some new cases that I duburred by hand because I suspect that they aren't done well enough.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

LE270
I suspect that the buildup in the cutter is from the speed or tork that the deburer is turning in the drill. Doing by hand it is probably impossible to put enough tork or speed to jam the shavings in the cutter.

[This message has been edited by 35nut (edited 12-28-2001).]

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote