New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 question
 Login/Join

<jd_1>
posted
I have an AR-15 with a 16" target barrel 1-8 twist. I am thinking about working up some loads with the 69 grain sierra bullet and Varget powder. What kind of velocity is to be expected? I have read my manuals but none of the test barrels are this short. Thanks...JD

Administrator
posted Hide Post
JD,

You might like to look at our Reloading Pages. We have run a test of reducing the barrel length and seeing what the velocity is like.
It was done on a 223 too.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67028 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<jd_1>
posted
Saeed, would the drop in velocity be about the same with the heavier bullets I want to use, or do I have to factor that in also? I have looked at this before but on the tests that you ran, niether the bullet or powder I want to use is listed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 16 in barreled mimi 14 you can expect 150 to 200 feet slower then the longer barrels.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<gone hunting>
posted
26 grains of Varget give me 2850fps with 69gr bullets from my 16" 1/8 barreled M4A3, the same load gives me 3150fps from my 24" barreled Varmint AR15
i also just got a DPMS Panther with 16" 1/7 barrel, i'll let you know if it runs the same tomarrow.

------------------
Death Before Dishonor

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jd,

I think it would probably be the same, but you can never be sure unless you try it.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67028 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<jd_1>
posted
Thanks for the info guys. I loaded some rounds last night and will try them when the weather gets a little better and or when they quit releasing Tout in one of our local rivers.
Gone Hunting, 26 grains looks like it might make the case too full with Varget. Do you compress your loads? I'm worried that it might break the extruded kernals of powder, or do you use a drop tube with this load?

<gone hunting>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by jd_1:
Thanks for the info guys. I loaded some rounds last night and will try them when the weather gets a little better and or when they quit releasing Tout in one of our local rivers.
Gone Hunting, 26 grains looks like it might make the case too full with Varget. Do you compress your loads? I'm worried that it might break the extruded kernals of powder, or do you use a drop tube with this load?

VARGET 26.0 3024 48,400 CUP
right out of the Hodgdon manual.
not compressed
data is actualy for 70gr bullets but it is the best i've ever used for the 69gr bullets

------------------
Death Before Dishonor