New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for Hand Reloading Tools
 Login/Join

<Kevin Rohrer>
posted
I'd like to get some type of *hand* reloading tool for when I am away from home but want to do some reloading.

Perusing some of the old Handloading Digests showed me that there used to be several available, including the Lee, Lyman 310 Tong Tool, Wilson Pak-Tool, & Pacific Pak-it among others. Are any of these still avaiable, how good do they do?

Am looking for one with the following priorities:

1. Accuracy of ammunition produced
2. Speed

------------------
Orange Gunsite Family Member, NRA Life member, Varmint Hunter Assn. and American Legion member

"An armed society is a polite society" -Robert Heinlein via Jeff Cooper

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevin, I started reloading with a Lyman 310 tool. They work fine but sure aren't fast. Probably none are any faster and I'm sure all work.

Just a couple of points. If you want to go the lyman route, TRY to get the old style STEEL tongs. The newer ones were aluminum and were crap. The steel is much stronger and better to use.

Secondly, I suspect all the "hand tools" for reloading only NECK size. I know the Lyman do. Neck sizing means your cases need to be from YOUR gun only and you better not have an automatic because then the brass needs to be full length resized.

I would recommend you go with at least an inexpensive bench press. Lee makes good quality for the money. Much faster and more simple to use, IMHO.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Kevin Rohrer>
posted
For the record, I have been reloading for thirty years and own several presses. I now want a handheld one to do small jobs.

Does anyone know if the Pak-Tool by WH Wilson is still available anywhere?

------------------
Orange Gunsite Family Member, NRA Life member, Varmint Hunter Assn. and American Legion member

"An armed society is a polite society" -Robert Heinlein via Jeff Cooper

<Kevin Rohrer>
posted
Pecos:

Must you use Lyman 310 dies in the 310?

Is it still being sold?

If I bought the 310, I would need 22/250, 25/06, and 25/06AI dies. Are these available?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kevin,
The Lyman Acculine loading press at about $30.00, or the Lee Hand Press at $25.00 or the HDS Compac Tool from Huntington's at $80.00 all are Iron pumper types that use conventional dies and shellholders, and full length size too. The HDS and the Lyman bolt or C-clamp down too. None is pocket sized as the Lee Loader or Lyman nutceacker, but are not very bulky.
The Lee powder scoop set is very handy at the range, as are the various hand priming tools from RCBS, Lee and others.
Balance scales are troublesome in the breezes encountered outdoors, so volumetric measures are indicated.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

I have one of the Lee tools which uses the standard loading dies. It works fine, although FL sizing some cases can give you a bit of a workout. I have not tested cases sized in the Lee vs. sized on my regular press to see if the case neck runout is the same.

The biggest hassle of loading away from home is measuring powder. If you don't want to measure volumetrically, then you need a scale--and that's the tough part. They are all affected by the wind, and the electronic ones may be affected by temp changes.

------------------
I know the next rifle will be perfect.......

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I have used a Lee Loader quite extensivly in .223 and it produced good reliable ammo. Just make sure that you use brass from your rifle as it neck sizes only.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
I have a Lee Hand Press. This is where it all started . . .

It will full-length size, and uses standard dies. But it's tedious, and not very conveniant.

I bolted my presses on a 2 X 12 about two feet long. I C-clamp this to my work-bench, but it also is portable and clamps to my shooting bench out in the field -- or with some padding, to the tailgate on the truck.

I bolted my Uniflow measure to the same board between two single stage presses. I set up the "bell" die or neck die in one press, charge with the Uniflow, and seat in the next press.

The Pacific Press ran me $20 at a pawn shop. I got the "universal" ram for $10 at a gun show.

I mounted my case trimmer on a 2 X 4 and clamp that to the bench just like the presses. This makes me completely portable.

Set up the scales in the back of the pickup, under the canopy. I cover mine with a clear plastic storage container. Pretty much let's me weigh stuff in a hurricane.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

[This message has been edited by Genghis (edited 04-30-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some adapter,s I think from lyman that allow the use of 310 dies in a standard press. I started with a 310 and now own several press,s haven't touch the 310 in years. For may small jobs I just set up another full size press.

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The Lyman 310 tool is great. But today, the 310 die caliber selection is very limited, and the die thread size is smaller than the regular die size. With others like the Lee hand press, etc., one can use all makes of dies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used a Lee loader with good results.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote